HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,215 Posts
Question
DX8 Bad gimbal

I have a very low use, pristine DX8 that has a sketchy aileron gimbal. Sitting neutral on a fresh model memory it's between 19- 24%. When the elevator stick is moved it affects the aileron as much as 15% in either direction. I also don't get consistent throws in both directions. This has rendered the radio unusable, especially with my quads.

Of course horizon was quick to point out it's well out of warranty. They want me to ship it both ways and charge 40.00 an hour plus parts and not tell me how much it would probably cost. Have they ever replaced a gimbal before? Do they not know how long a diagnostic plus parts would be? Even a ballpark would be ok. I asked if they would call me before doing repairs and they said I could put a note on the order but shipping the radio to them implies consent to be fixed. Well ok then, f me! If I don't have it fixed I'm still out shipping both ways and the hour diagnostic and then I've wasted money for nothing.

I don't really want to send them my radio and dump an unknown amount of money into it. Since it's out of warranty I'm willing to open it up. Is there anything I can do or look at to try and fix this? In all honesty if I have to put more money into a radio it doesn't look like it will be a spektrum. I have a DX7 for bnf stuff but for my new multirotor hobby it doesn't look like spektrum is the way to go.
IH8VTEC is offline Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,108 Posts
I would open up the TX and blow compressed air in and around the gimbal and see if that help. Operate the gimbals to max deflection a few times, since you claim it's pristine that means minimal use it may just have accumilated some dust where some shouldn't be.

There was also a Service Bulletin issued some time ago for gimbals, you should check to see if your model# is mentioned.

FYI - the information provided was/is generic sort of speak and generally people are pretty impressed with the level of service they get from HH even on products out of warranty..
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
I would open up the TX and blow compressed air in and around the gimbal and see if that help. Operate the gimbals to max deflection a few times, since you claim it's pristine that means minimal use it may just have accumilated some dust where some shouldn't be.

There was also a Service Bulletin issued some time ago for gimbals, you should check to see if your model# is mentioned.

FYI - the information provided was/is generic sort of speak and generally people are pretty impressed with the level of service they get from HH even on products out of warranty..
That sounds about all I can do really. I'm not exaggerating when I say pristine, some fingerprints and that's it. This was a very low use secondary tx that has been promoted

I saw that service bulletin on one of the heli sites. My model number is not listed.

I have no complaints really about horizon as I've called them before but XXXX was not really into helping me out and pretty much shut down all my questions with the boiler plate answers. Not really feeling like sending in an already expensive radio and spending more money on it when a rep claims they have no idea how much it costs. I bet they could tell me exactly how much it costs. I know it's not a DX9 but geeze care a little bit.
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,054 Posts
Have Service fix it for you. Seriously. Just do it.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM
Ultra Violet
Joined Feb 2013
2,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8VTEC View Post
That sounds about all I can do really. I'm not exaggerating when I say pristine, some fingerprints and that's it. This was a very low use secondary tx that has been promoted

I saw that service bulletin on one of the heli sites. My model number is not listed.

I have no complaints really about horizon as I've called them before but XXXX was not really into helping me out and pretty much shut down all my questions with the boiler plate answers. Not really feeling like sending in an already expensive radio and spending more money on it when a rep claims they have no idea how much it costs. I bet they could tell me exactly how much it costs. I know it's not a DX9 but geeze care a little bit.
When potentiometers are not used they can develop oxidation, try repeatedly moving the stick back and forth many times and see what happens.
Electromagnetic is online now Find More Posts by Electromagnetic
Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Have Service fix it for you. Seriously. Just do it.

Andy
Yeah, I probably will. I found someone that stated DX8 gimbals are 19.95 according to the repair invoice he received. That's not that bad. Why couldn't I just have been told that? so figure 40.00 for diagonstic and repair hour 20.00 for the gimbal plus my shipping costs. Maybe i got XXXX on the wrong day, maybe it's me. I'll try the canned air then send it in. I know HH is great.
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromagnetic View Post
When potentiometers are not used they can develop oxidation, try repeatedly moving the stick back and forth many times and see what happens.
Good to know. I've had the radio in use for a little while. I'll keep that in mind.
Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM
Ultra Violet
Joined Feb 2013
2,870 Posts
Quote:
Good to know. I've had the radio in use for a little while. I'll keep that in mind.
There are chemicals that will clean off this oxidation but it can be messy and you would need to open up the Tx. Not being sure that is even the problem I don't really recommend that route.
Electromagnetic is online now Find More Posts by Electromagnetic
Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,054 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I probably will. I found someone that stated DX8 gimbals are 19.95 according to the repair invoice he received. That's not that bad. Why couldn't I just have been told that?
Because it probably won't cost you that much.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor