HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2014, 01:28 PM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Oct 2014
24 Posts
Discussion
newbie needs suggestions of choosing the first plane

I went through some threads here, and right now I am settling on two, the cox sky cruiser, and the hobby king bixler 2. Any suggestions are welcome, as I want to have an RTF glider/sailplane with the pusher type prop (less likely to get damaged), and can fly slowly (so that I can learn the control). initial budget ~100.

thanks guys!

Harold
mfanmfan is offline Find More Posts by mfanmfan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2014, 03:21 PM
Joined Oct 2014
24 Posts
also thinking about getting an UMX radian with DX5e transmitter, but costs more
Old Oct 02, 2014, 04:22 PM
I just want to fly
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Oct 2008
1,082 Posts
Bix 3 is bigger than both of those
Rhea is offline Find More Posts by Rhea
Old Oct 02, 2014, 04:25 PM
Joined Oct 2014
24 Posts
this is probably a dumb question, but the bigger size the easier to control, and more stable? can also fly more slowly?
Old Oct 02, 2014, 05:49 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanmfan View Post
this is probably a dumb question, but the bigger size the easier to control, and more stable? can also fly more slowly?
A plane can be stable because of airframe design - high wing with dihedral ( wings angled up ) . A good example of that is the Champ , which is $90 RTF .

A plane can also be stable because of electronics technology such as SAFE . A good example of that is the Delta Ray , which is $180 RTF . It would be worth it to save another $80 and get a Delta Ray .

A plane can be slow flying if it has light wing loading ( maximum wing area / minimum weight ) . There are really no RTF planes available with very light wing loading except for the Night Vapor , which can fly very slowly , but can't be flown in ANY wind . The Night Vapor is $110 RTF .

Another option if you want a large slow flyer is to make it yourself . Here is one I've made with very light wing loading and a 60" wingspan .

FT Old Fogey-ish with 60" wingspan (1 min 56 sec)
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Oct 02, 2014, 07:22 PM
Joined Oct 2014
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
A plane can be stable because of airframe design - high wing with dihedral ( wings angled up ) . A good example of that is the Champ , which is $90 RTF .

A plane can also be stable because of electronics technology such as SAFE . A good example of that is the Delta Ray , which is $180 RTF . It would be worth it to save another $80 and get a Delta Ray .

A plane can be slow flying if it has light wing loading ( maximum wing area / minimum weight ) . There are really no RTF planes available with very light wing loading except for the Night Vapor , which can fly very slowly , but can't be flown in ANY wind . The Night Vapor is $110 RTF .

Another option if you want a large slow flyer is to make it yourself . Here is one I've made with very light wing loading and a 60" wingspan .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGLj43y-VUM
Wow, that looks really slow...... and thanks for the education

still need to decide on the first plane though. Champ is a popular one, but I just think pusher prop seems a safer option (could be wrong, please correct). among bix 2, bix 3, and champ, and others (please name), cannot decide No access to indoor space, I have to do it outside.
Old Oct 02, 2014, 07:59 PM
What Goes Up Must Come Down
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2013
649 Posts
This how I learned to fly on my own in my backyard. First I bought Real Flight Basic flight simulator. I practiced on that until I was comfortable flying an rc plane. My first real plane was the Ember 2

http://www.amain.com/ParkZone-Ember-...FcgF7AodGWMAXQ

For $79 you get everything you need to start flying. My next plane was the Hobby Zone Champ... faster and more powerful than the Ember. Again for $89 you get everything you need to fly right in you backyard or park.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/HBZ4900....FTAQ7Aodo1AA_w

Both are very stable slow flying trainer type planes. The only issue is wind...very calm to no wind flying the Ember...the Champ can handle a gentle breeze.

Good luck...it's a great hobby!!
PRNDL is offline Find More Posts by PRNDL
Old Oct 02, 2014, 08:40 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Wow, that looks really slow...... and thanks for the education

still need to decide on the first plane though. Champ is a popular one, but I just think pusher prop seems a safer option (could be wrong, please correct). among bix 2, bix 3, and champ, and others (please name), cannot decide No access to indoor space, I have to do it outside.
I agree pusher prop is good for first time flying since the motor/prop won't be the first thing to hit the ground ( or people! ) when you crash . Any one of the well known pusher prop planes will work , although they're not going to be able to fly very slow . If it's slow pusher prop you want , you're going to have to make it yourself . An EzFly pusher prop plane can be made to fly slowly with an increased wing span and lightweight electronics . Here's one

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post29232426

Copy of EzFly with under-cambered wing (1 min 57 sec)

Al
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Oct 02, 2014, 08:59 PM
Joined Nov 2008
476 Posts
Quote:
also thinking about getting an UMX radian with DX5e transmitter, but costs more
I think UMX Radian is the best pick of three, you can get spare parts more easy. Plus the reviews are all positive.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Oct 02, 2014, 09:27 PM
Joined Oct 2014
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNDL View Post
This how I learned to fly on my own in my backyard. First I bought Real Flight Basic flight simulator. I practiced on that until I was comfortable flying an rc plane. My first real plane was the Ember 2

http://www.amain.com/ParkZone-Ember-...FcgF7AodGWMAXQ

For $79 you get everything you need to start flying. My next plane was the Hobby Zone Champ... faster and more powerful than the Ember. Again for $89 you get everything you need to fly right in you backyard or park.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/HBZ4900....FTAQ7Aodo1AA_w

Both are very stable slow flying trainer type planes. The only issue is wind...very calm to no wind flying the Ember...the Champ can handle a gentle breeze.

Good luck...it's a great hobby!!
thanks for the advice. I will practice on a simulator first
Old Oct 02, 2014, 09:33 PM
Joined Oct 2014
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
I agree pusher prop is good for first time flying since the motor/prop won't be the first thing to hit the ground ( or people! ) when you crash . Any one of the well known pusher prop planes will work , although they're not going to be able to fly very slow . If it's slow pusher prop you want , you're going to have to make it yourself . An EzFly pusher prop plane can be made to fly slowly with an increased wing span and lightweight electronics . Here's one

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post29232426

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxaUadvhgbc

Al
really like the slow ones you posted! maybe will build one later. first one still will be purchased.
Old Oct 02, 2014, 10:11 PM
Joined Oct 2014
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Y View Post
I think UMX Radian is the best pick of three, you can get spare parts more easy. Plus the reviews are all positive.

Edmond
just costs a bit more. I will certainly crash the first few flights
Old Oct 03, 2014, 02:12 PM
Joined Sep 2011
78 Posts
get the one you can most easily get the spares for...........if thats not an issue then get the one you like the look of
ryang22 is offline Find More Posts by ryang22
Old Oct 03, 2014, 02:21 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,679 Posts
Big Trainer - Apprentice S

Medium trainer - Delta Ray

Small trainer - Sport Cub S

REALLY small trainer - Champ

Can't go wrong.
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Oct 03, 2014, 03:42 PM
Joined Oct 2014
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
Big Trainer - Apprentice S

Medium trainer - Delta Ray

Small trainer - Sport Cub S

REALLY small trainer - Champ

Can't go wrong.
after reading from another post, I will probably go with duet first. pretty cheap, and people saying it is easy to fly. If I find myself handle it fine, will go to the next level, with the cost ~ 150