HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2014, 01:35 PM
Darien, Illinios
Joined Aug 2005
183 Posts
Build Log
P-26 Peashooter

I have been working on my P-26 for the last year and a half. I thought about starting a build log for this project. I decided against this because I wanted to drag this project out for three years. I have a limited space for storing my projects so I wanted to stretch out the build time. However, things have come together much more quickly than expected so I am going to start posting my progress.

I purchased a partial "Royal" kit from eBay this time instead of just the plans, (see my Stuka build log from Royal plans) because of the preformed parts like wheel pants, etc. which would cost a bundle from Fiberglass Specialties.

I am powering this 120 sized plane with a DLE 20 which fits perfectly. Royal aircraft require a great deal of "carving" at times which turns off some people but I like that because it stretches out the build time which fits with my "space issues".

Here are the initial build pics. I will post some of the detail stuff such as dummy engine and instrument panel, etc. In my next posting.
modelmaster2001 is offline Find More Posts by modelmaster2001
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:52 PM
Darien, Illinios
Joined Aug 2005
183 Posts
Here is the finished main control panel. I am starting the auxiliary panel now. The instruments were printed on high quality photo paper. When they are mounted they appear to have lens covers due to their glossiness. The mounting bolts were made using white glue built up with a toothpick in four applications. The T handle was made with a T-pin coated with 5 minute epoxy. The switch levers were made from scrap plastic. The printed plaques were made with my computer in a three step process. If anyone is interested in how to do this I would be glad to tell you. You can create just about anything using this method.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:50 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,421 Posts
I'm surprised I'm the first to reply.

That's a lovely looking job. If it flies half as nice as it looks you're in for a fun time.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Feb 14, 2014, 04:37 PM
Darien, Illinios
Joined Aug 2005
183 Posts
Thanks - I decided on this project because my Stuka, built from Royal plans, was such a success. I only wish I had more room so I could paint a model this size instead of monocoting. It will look good, but I really would have liked to have done a super scale job which can only be done with paint. On the other hand, we fly off a rather restricted grass field with lots of trees and scrub around which means one mistake and major repairs are in order. So a "museum quality" model is a bit much.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 04:55 PM
Darien, Illinios
Joined Aug 2005
183 Posts
I am starting to cover the wing. The "sky Blue" is Ultracote and the Chrome Yellow, (cub yellow), is monocote.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 07:05 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2003
244 Posts
Absolutely! Beautiful job on your build. I kinda like building like that, Gives ya time to think ahead a bit. I usually build much better like that all so.Jay
pecor is offline Find More Posts by pecor
Old Feb 15, 2014, 08:20 AM
United States, NC, Advance
Joined Sep 2012
141 Posts
Beautiful plane. Thanks for posting it. I have this kit tucked away for a future build. I'll have to consider building it sooner rather than later.
neddy191 is offline Find More Posts by neddy191
Old Feb 15, 2014, 05:38 PM
Sandy Springs, GA
Joined Jul 2008
508 Posts
You are doing a great job. Thanks for posting and please continue.

Bruce
landeck is offline Find More Posts by landeck
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:31 PM
Darien, Illinios
Joined Aug 2005
183 Posts
I am making progress. The wing is now completely covered. I used a strip of flat black self-adhesive shelf paper for the anti-skid strip. I have done this before with great success. One advantage to this method is that there are absolutely no gas bubbles which has always plagued me in the past. Another thing I have done with certain trim strips is to spray the back of them with 3M adhesive and then apply them using a credit card as a squeegee resulting in no bubbles. I have then gone over them with low heat if needed. Again , no bubbles.

The flying wires on a P-26 were actually aerodynamically shaped hollow tubes. I know you can purchase aluminum tubing that is aerodynamically shaped in 1/4 inch and larger sizes, But I would need to use something closer to 3/32 inch. Does anyone know of such a thing?

Notice the "Ace" elastic bandage tied around the end of my building board. This is my third hand when covering aircraft parts. A friend of mine taught me this. I can't imagine trying to cover models without this aid. For example, while heating and pulling the finger strips around the wing tip, I slipped the other wing tip under the bandage which anchors the wing so I can get leverage.
Last edited by modelmaster2001; Feb 18, 2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:41 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,419 Posts
looking good!
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Feb 19, 2014, 04:53 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,817 Posts
They loved their colors..
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2014, 06:33 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,540 Posts
Planes of Fame airshow 2011, and it flew too! Awesome.

Chad Veich is online now Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Feb 19, 2014, 07:28 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,817 Posts
Here's a video of the Planes of Flame flight....Love the " hand crank" starter..

2 BOEING P26 PEASHOOTER (3 min 38 sec)
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2014, 07:57 PM
more balsa please!
Princeton, In
Joined Jul 2007
792 Posts
Beautiful build. Thanks for posting.
dcloin is offline Find More Posts by dcloin
Old Feb 19, 2014, 08:46 PM
United States, MO, Stockton