SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 31, 2013, 05:33 AM
Joined Apr 2006
350 Posts
Discussion
What's a good R/C Radio System for Sailboats?

Not up on the new stuff these days.
ROADTOAD is offline Find More Posts by ROADTOAD
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2013, 05:39 AM
United States, MA, Needham
Joined Apr 2013
243 Posts
If you are looking for cheap radio that still works a few guys around my pond get the Hobbyking 2.4 Ghz for around $25 from the US and Canada Warehouse. Those are very simple but you would not be able to control throw. If you got a more expensive radio you could control throw and maybe do exponential. Since I have a Hobbyking radio I cannot tell you what the more expensive radio would be but plenty other sailors on this forum will have a point of view.
Captain Pique is online now Find More Posts by Captain Pique
Old Jul 31, 2013, 05:42 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,276 Posts
I use a Spectrum DX5e in my ODOM. No fancy bells and whistles. Works for me. Under 100 dollars for TX and RX.
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Jul 31, 2013, 05:58 AM
Joined Jul 2013
5 Posts
I'd love some info about that too.

I was thinking about this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Firmware_.html

50 dollars instead of 25, but looks way better and has 9 channels in case you'll ever need them
Madeiner is offline Find More Posts by Madeiner
Old Jul 31, 2013, 06:24 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2013
150 Posts
Radio sets

I got an Hitec Optic 5 for $98 at my local hobby shop and am very pleased with it's performance.
Radsail is offline Find More Posts by Radsail
Old Jul 31, 2013, 08:59 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,072 Posts
What you want in a radio depends on how you want to sail,put around the pond or top level racing.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:13 AM
Joined Apr 2006
350 Posts
Would be used in a smaller sailboat such as the RG65's.
Better go a radio that can be adjusted trims, expos.....without costing an arm and a leg.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:12 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
I use a Spectrum DX5e in my ODOM. No fancy bells and whistles. Works for me. Under 100 dollars for TX and RX.
The Dx5's work fine, but have limited throw to the servos and can only store one boat at a time.

You can pick up a used, but in good condition DX6i, here in the classifieds for about the same price. With that you get 10 model memories (Trust me....you will end up with more than one boat ) and the throws go to 110% - a real advantage if you are using a single arm servo system for the sail controls.

Spektrum clone Rx's are available for under $6@ from HobbyKing and Lemon-Rx.com. (I like the Lemon Rx's - better components, REAL customer service, but sadly no case on the Rx. I pot mine in water-based silicone bath caulk)

I like the Dx5e for power boats since it is easy to mod the throttle stick springs to make it center neutral for boats that have forward/reverse.
FoamCrusher is online now Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:19 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
692 Posts
I'll second the DX6i....so far mine has worked well. I used to have a 5e, but the lack of endpoint adjustments was a big drawback, as FC mentioned. Otherwise it worked fine.

Kevin
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:04 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Beware of used radios. I bought a used Futaba 6ex 2.4 Ghz radio from the classifieds here and channel 3 stopped working, I am told by Technical support at Futaba that it is not a US radio and they will not repair it. Bummer, tossed away my money. Lesson is buy new or used, buyer beware.
Fyi, I like the Futaba 7c radio for sailboats as it has a knob control on it that is useful for backstay. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Jul 31, 2013, 05:40 PM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
890 Posts
The best value for money boat trani is the Flysky CT6A. Sold everywhere under many brands for US$25 with a 6 channel receiver. Need a cable to connect to a computer to program dual rates, and limits, no expo, 3 custom mixes. Get some cheap 3 channel receivers with failsafe.
Much discussion on this forum.
Rusty Nail is online now Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:16 PM
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
218 Posts
I like the FlySky FS-T6 2.4, for about $55 with free shipping, Rx R6B $11, I now have 3 of them, completely programmable on the radio, no computer, much easier to program than my DX6i, I like having 2 knobs for channel 5 & 6, I have one of our club members that is going to buy my DX6i
John R.
tbarjohn is offline Find More Posts by tbarjohn
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:41 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,106 Posts
Futaba 6J for me, Haven't lost signal like my old spectrum used to and it even went for a swim last time I sailed, Pulled the back off let it dry and it works all good know.
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Aug 01, 2013, 01:16 AM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
524 Posts
I have bought a number of the $25 HobbyKing units - I buy one per boat... tha way if you get a walk-up you give them the boat and go sail with them with your second boat!!

This is the one I have been buying (TX with a RX included):
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_Mode_2_.html
Simple to set up, they work great. They do not have endpoint adjustment, I have used mechanical limiting on the TX for endpoint adjustment.

An alternative is this one also around $25 for TX with a RX included:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_Mode_1_.html
While it looks very similar, it has no channel switches on the front but is programmed with a cable, it has endpoint adjustment.
Cable here:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...USB_Cable.html

Further up the market the Turnigy T9X is great, it has all the adjustments and more, is multi model as well. More complex to get to the features... comes with a RX.
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Aug 01, 2013, 11:55 AM
Joined Apr 2006
350 Posts
Can't believe the low pricing....
Thanks