SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:10 AM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,968 Posts
Discussion
My new indoor plane

I thought I might share some pictures of my new indoor plane. It weighs about 1.9 ounces. Originally I planned to put on a landing gear, as evidenced by the plywood pieces for mounting the gear. Instead I put the motor up high to avoid having to use the landing gear. Its kind of ugly but hopfully it saved a couple of grams of weight. The span is 28". The wing is made of 1mm foam from RCFoam. The motor and rx/servo/ esc brick is from a broken Proto Max helicopter. If you have the ProtoMax Heli Tx you can buy the "brick" and motor at Amazon.com. I'm not sure how well it will fly with the motor up high as yet. I took it to a gym last week but never got to fly it much at all because a motor wire broke off. I plan to take it to the gym this Wednesday and hopfully I will get to fly it for a longer period. If anyone hasany questions about it I will try to answer them. RCNutt
rcnutt is offline Find More Posts by rcnutt
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:46 PM
Who dares, wins
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
688 Posts
very nice!
addictedtoplanes is offline Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:14 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
I like the elevated thrust line. You can actually use up thrust to advantage with a high thrust line.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Apr 23, 2013, 07:51 PM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,968 Posts
Flight report

I flew it outside early this morning before it got very windy. It flies very easily. It will do multiple loops. The only thing is that the elevator is touchy. It wants to be dippy. I'm not sure why. It might be that I have put too much incidence in or maybe the fact the wing is a single surface wing. I may try and cover the bottom of the wing with some saran wrap or something similar to see if that makes it smoother. If I do cover the bottom I'll try and remember to come back here and give a flight report. RCNutt
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:59 PM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
886 Posts
Interesting design! With such a high thrust line there should be plenty of down thrust! Where did the CG end up? Moving it more toward the nose should reduce the sensitivity of the elevator. If this results in a dive too steep when gliding then the wing incidence could be changed to compensate.

Changing the wing from under cambered to flat bottom has minimal effect to the flying characteristics. It mainly alters the cruising speed of the plane, with the flat bottom wing needing to fly faster for the same level of lift.

Thanks for sharing.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:24 AM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,968 Posts
Lowered the motor

I flew it yesterday and a wall jumped out in front of it and broke the motor off. So anyway I lowered the motor and I tried to cover the wing bottom but the wing warped up pretty bad. I probably will take the covering off. Now that the motor is lower I'll have to add a landing gear. I'll repost later if I get it going again. RCNutt