HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:25 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,075 Posts
Discussion
USB cable length for HPP-22 Interface

Picked up my new A-9 with Optima 7 and HPP-2 interface device today. Noticed that Hitec recommends maxmum 3 foot USB cable (not supplied) to connect HPP-22 to my PC. Stopped at Radio Shack and asked for 3 foot USB cable as Hitec recommended. RS doesn't carry a 3 foot or shorter cable, theirs are 6 foot. My son thinks that my PC has USB 3.0 and that Radio Shack's 6 foot cables should work with HPP-22 with no problems.

What do you think??? I don't want to get all honked up trying to install HPPP-22 interface software and transmitter, module and, receiver firmware updates before I even get to use my new A-9.

I was disappointed that A-9 firmware already needs updating and guess I won't know about update status of 2.4 module and my Optima receivers until I have the HPP-22 software installed and working properly.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:23 PM
Quincy IL
Joined Jul 2006
512 Posts
You should not have any problems with a 6 foot cable. I have used one on a desktop and a laptop to upload and download my A9.

Don't be concerned about having to updates to your system. RC is somewhat late in doing updates to the firmware. Very normal in many industries. Better than having to buy a new radio to get a new feature.

I have used an A9 since they were released. Absolutely reliable
Hugh P is online now Find More Posts by Hugh P
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:42 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
Picked up my new A-9 with Optima 7 and HPP-2 interface device today.
Noticed that Hitec recommends maxmum 3 foot USB cable (not supplied) to connect HPP-22 to my PC.
Stopped at Radio Shack and asked for 3 foot USB cable as Hitec recommended.
RS doesn't carry a 3 foot or shorter cable, theirs are 6 foot.
My son thinks that my PC has USB 3.0 and that Radio Shack's 6 foot cables should work with HPP-22 with no problems.
What do you think??? I don't want to get all honked up trying to install HPPP-22 interface software and transmitter, module and, receiver firmware updates before I even get to use my new A-9.
I was disappointed that A-9 firmware already needs updating and guess I won't know about update status of 2.4 module and my Optima receivers until I have the HPP-22 software installed and working properly.
Am very surprised that your retailer did not update the units for you prior to dispatch, however different countries...
With E/Flight suggest keep using the A9 as is for the meantime because the last updates did not impact on EP models.
Individual Firmware update details can been viewed :
. 2.4GHz Firmware & Software Updates.

The only update really necessary for EP, and if you wish to fly with Minima receivers, is the module which
must be V3.01 dated April 2011 - Given date, would be very surprised if yours was not V3.01.

The USB A to Mini B 5-Pin Cable required to connect to PC is the same cable provided with many other items
in the home such as USB Hubs, 2.5" USB HDD, external Disc Drives, Media Players and some camera.
Please check in your PC cables box as have eight such cables here from other units, measuring 6" to max 3'.

Have not tried with USB 3.0 ports, but if they supply more power
than the USB 2.0 ports then they should be alright.

Current Firmware updates are included:
. Hitec HPP-22 2.4GHz Programmer - Manual, FAQ - How to Install & Use
..(includes Screenshots & Current Firmware Versions for all related Units).

. Hitec HPP-22 - Replacement Leads, Extensions and DIY Access to Transceivers buried in models.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:19 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,075 Posts
The 3-root cable from my Canon A501 camera has a mini connector that fits the HPP-22 but it has a round cylindrical inline thing near the mini connector. Is this cable OK to use with HPPP-22?
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:16 PM
most exalted one
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Aug 2002
3,570 Posts
Should be fine. I think that helps eliminate 'noise' in some applications. I've used a cable with that.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:16 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Ferrite Filters aka Choke for RC use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
The 3-root cable from my Canon A501 camera has a mini connector that fits the HPP-22
but it has a round cylindrical inline thing near the mini connector. Is this cable OK to use with HPPP-22?
That should be a very good cable, those "round cylindrical inline things" are fitted to many PC leads to
Screen, printers etc and required in some countries to be fitted to the charge leads from high performance
chargers for NiCD, NiMH, Lipol batteries etc.

The round cylindrical inline thing is a ferrite filter aka choke as used on long leads in RC for many years
during the days, especially of AM & less with FM and even less with 2.4GHz on long leads, pictures attached.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.