HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
Question
Worth buying the GoPro Hero 3 Black?

Hello. I'm having a hard time deciding wether to buy this camera or not.
A week ago I was sure that I wanted it (and I was until today) and I placed an order but I do still have the time to cancel it.
I'm not into any sports so it won't be used for that. one of the main reasons is of course aerial photography. But I'm also very interested in the 720P 120fps, and the 480P 240fps mode to make some nice slow motion videos.

I'm only interested in the black version but it might be "scary" to put such a expensive camera on a rc plane in case it would fall..

I do still want it but it is not cheap. So the people who bought this or previous models, do you regret it? Or was it worth it?
kjur is offline Find More Posts by kjur
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:34 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,719 Posts
If you are worried about the cost I always adopt the motto, "Don't use it if you can't afford to lose it."

If you will be totally screwed and upset and your spouse kick you out of the house if you crash and ruin a Hero 3 Black then you probably shouldn't make the plunge. If life moves on if you ruin it and you get over it in a day or so...well then it's a good purchase.

Those GoPro cams are pretty durable if you leave them in the cases. I have whacked my original GoPro1 around so many times and it still works. The LED is a little messed up but the cam works if you can get it set right...and I did most of my flying and crashing with the camera "naked" without the case. Keep it in the case and it's pretty hard to break it unless you run over it with a car or something. Heck I even nosed in at 25mph a Canon HV20 tape based HDV camera one time. It crashed nose first straight down and it still works fine. Our cams are more durable than we think...but they aren't impossible to break.
frogman1206 is offline Find More Posts by frogman1206
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:08 AM
Israel, Ness Ziona
Joined Sep 2004
4,683 Posts
Well wrote Frogman
Guy
guyg is offline Find More Posts by guyg
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:09 PM
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
Thanks for the reply!
I've been thinking but I still can't decide. The money is not really that much of a problem right now but is it worth all that money for taking pictures/video from an rc plane? I don't know...
The camera is made for sports and I don't plan to use it for that. At all.
Maybe I should just cancel the order.

Did anyone here buy it and did not intend to use it for any sports?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:52 AM
Slopeaholic
Roseville, California, United States
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
I would say call it an action cam instead of a sports cam and your problem is solved! They do seem to be very capable cameras that take very high quality video in a very small package.

-hutch
Hutch is offline Find More Posts by Hutch
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:46 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jul 2012
46 Posts
Grab one of the little 808 cameras first and see if you really enjoy aerial photography.

Just the fact that you asked about the purchase makes me think perhaps you're second guessing the GoPro... something inside is telling you that you shouldn't have spent that much, or that you are concerned with the thought of possibly losing something so valuable. You'll wind up keeping the camera in the box and never letting it soar.

I think this might be one of those "if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it" scenarios.

I'd love a GoPro but I know I shouldn't buy something so extravagant. I have 4 mouths to feed and am working 6 days a week just to make ends meet. I settled on a #16 808 several months ago. It's not the greatest but... if it ends up in a gully somewhere I won't lose a wink of sleep over it.
Thirston is offline Find More Posts by Thirston
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined May 2012
178 Posts
I don't own a GoPro yet, but it's the number #1 brand in tiny professional video cameras, and they seem to have excellent resell value even after a few years... So it's not like you are throwing money away. Buy it, use it and keep it if you like it.
Fintastic is offline Find More Posts by Fintastic
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
Thanks guys. I knew that it would ship late december so I had plenty of time to decide. But yesterday I got an email saying it had been shipped so I don't really have a choice now.. But I'm sure I won't regret it.

I will wait a little while before I use it for aerial photography. It is a lot of money but I guess now is the time when I can buy things like this.
I graduated from school last year and I still live at home and have been working full time since then. So I have some money saved up.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:31 AM
United States, CA, Mill Valley
Joined Feb 2010
664 Posts
Get it. Just do it.

You will be amazed what you can do with a gopro for some cool life vids.

My gopro has been on:

planes/edfs/quads/real planes/rc cars/real cars/swimming pool vacum/ceiling fan/daughters bike/motor bike etc.
drumbum is offline Find More Posts by drumbum
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:34 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,589 Posts
Hi all
Im looking at getting the GPH3 Black too. Question, can I operate it remotely from my TX so it takes a still or start/stop the video from flickng a tx toggle switch? What else do I need to buy to do that?
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800