SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:38 PM
United States, IA, Waterloo
Joined May 2011
19 Posts
Discussion
which models are best for weak hands?

i'm disabled and have limited use of my hands so i need something with a smaller transmitter preferably like a videogame controller. i had one with a transmitter exactly like a playstation controller. it worked perfect except the right stick was too stiff, so i figured i'd try and remove the spring so it would be like the throttle.
well i(my cousin) took it apart and there was no spring, the whole mechanism was inside a little metal square that was soldered directly to the circuit board. the only thing i saw inside from the top was a little copper clip that was right next to the stick, it wasn't in the throttle stick so i hoped that was what was providing the resistance/recoil. so i(my cousin) went for it and popped it out, and there's no way it's goin back in. well now the rear rotor is dead, my fault.
i(my cousin) tried unsoldering it, but it wouldn't come off. it was already broke so we just forced it cuz i wanted to see where this damn spring was. it was so far in there there's no way in hell i could've ever gotten to it without destroying it. so my question is does anyone know what brand or model it would be possible to remove the spring in the right stick(and the left if applicable) on these transmitters? are they all like this one? anyone that has dissected any? or has a useless one laying around and could figure it out? or if anyone knows, which ones have the least resistance(or even no resistance might be even better)? anyone that can help....
tallicadude is offline Find More Posts by tallicadude
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:23 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,621 Posts
I understand that the controller consideration is paramount. It would help if you would let us know whether you prefer 3ch or 4ch, coaxial or fixed pitch, and the budget you have in mind.

Without knowing you preferences, I'm gonna make a guess and recommend a few models for your considerations. Let us know what you like or dislike about them.

Suggestion #1
Micro Spycam Helicopter w/1GB SD Card
  • It has the Playstation style remote that you like
  • A fun little camera for you to play with
Suggestion #2
2.4Ghz Micro Coax Helicopter 4 Channel
  • This is 4ch with a swash plate
  • Its remote style has the Playstation feel
  • The springs are not very strong (in my opinion)
Suggestion #3
Syma S800G
  • It has one of the smallest control
  • This is also 4ch with a swash plate
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:40 AM
Joined May 2011
19 Posts
that first ones controller is the exact one i destroyed so i think i'll avoid that one. the 2nd one is the same one i think that comes with a few other helis namely the blade mcx/mcx2, i really like the shape and the fact that it's 2.4ghz instead of IR. i still would like to know if it's possible to get to the springs in case i need to remove them, does anyone know? or if anyone has that transmitter could you take the screws out and remove the front and just make a quick visual inspection and see if the springs are accessible without too much disassembly? the 3rd one doesn't look like the shape will work, if anyone could take some measurements and give me the dimensions that would be really helpful. the main thing i need info on is if the springs are accessible, no matter what brand or shape, if anyone could find out if you can get to the springs on any transmitter for any small to medium helis that would really help me. sorry for asking so much of you folks, but there is very little i can do to entertain myself at this stage of my disease(not even videogames due to buttons). and they don't sell these around here, so i can't test them myself. so please guys ANY help you can give me will be greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:25 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Hi,

What about getting one of these?
No sticks involved and it does not have to be an iphone, I have an Android phone and it works with that

There are many models of helis that you can fly with this system once you get the dongle. You may already have a heli that will work so all you would need to buy is the dongle on its own.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iPhone-iPo...item3cbc783b98

cheers John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:59 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,924 Posts
Would voice operation be an option? You could check out the Solo Magic.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,621 Posts
Neither #2 nor #3 has removeable springs. In fact, these smaller toy radio pretty much all have cheap pots that have everything integrated into it. They are very very difficult to modify. That's why I was trying to understand your expectation, preference and budget better. Because hobby grade radio are the ones you have access to the springs, but then the radio itself is big in dimension. Example of these are the HP6DSM radio that comes with certain Blade models.

The dimensions of #3 are 11cm(H)x12cm(W)x4.5cm(D). The last number is the stick height. They are actually very short sticks, because they are probably 2.5cm from the PCB. So, they have very little travel. I thought that would help.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,621 Posts
I forgot to mention. #2 is Mode 2, but #3 is Mode 4.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined May 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Neither #2 nor #3 has removeable springs. In fact, these smaller toy radio pretty much all have cheap pots that have everything integrated into it. They are very very difficult to modify. That's why I was trying to understand your expectation, preference and budget better. Because hobby grade radio are the ones you have access to the springs, but then the radio itself is big in dimension. Example of these are the HP6DSM radio that comes with certain Blade models.

The dimensions of #3 are 11cm(H)x12cm(W)x4.5cm(D). The last number is the stick height. They are actually very short sticks, because they are probably 2.5cm from the PCB. So, they have very little travel. I thought that would help.
yes i was aware that the hobby grade transmitters are too big, i actually have a customized tx for my rc cars, it's built with a gimble(sp?) for a heli/plane tx and its made so i can drive my rc cars with a single joystick. i actually changed the spring in that so all it does is recenter, basically no tension. i was hoping that the 2.4ghz one might have accessible springs since it's a little higher quality, but it doesn't sound like that's the case. can anyone confirm? and i've considered the smart phone one, i'm not sure i can do it because the controls are so close together, i can't keep my hands that close together because i rest my arms on my legs and my elbows slide back, if that makes sense. i appreciate your feedback guys, let's keep brainstorming
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:07 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
If you can, go to a local hobby shop and try the MCX controller. While you are there, you may be able to try a Revel controller. It beats guessing. If you don't know what it looks like, here it is:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=blade...t:429,r:7,s:30
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Mar 16, 2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:22 AM
Joined Sep 2011
112 Posts
Coaxial helicopters have 2 main rotors over the body/fuselage of the helicopter. One traveling counter-clockwise, and the other traveling clockwise. I'm not sure what it two rotors offer aerodynamically, but it provides very stable operation, the helicopter will also have minimal pitch and roll.

Fixed pitch helicopter's offer 1 single rotor, normally with a flybar. These model's will have a vertical tail rotor on the end of the tail to keep the helicopter from spinning under the single main rotors torque. The reason some people call them anti-torque helicopters. These operate very similar to the coaxial helicopters, but they require a lot more precise control, they are very touchy and responsive. They offer a higher level of difficulty to people that are more dedicated/experienced to the hobby.
WFLYRC is offline Find More Posts by WFLYRC
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined May 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
If you can, go to a local hobby shop and try the MCX controller. While you are there, you may be able to try a Revel controller. It beats guessing. If you don't know what it looks like, here it is:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=blade...t:429,r:7,s:30
i like the revell controller, anybody know what the resistance is like on those?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:43 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallicadude View Post
i like the revell controller, anybody know what the resistance is like on those?
Sorry for the confusing post, that's the MCX controller. Here's the Revel controller (Revel is rebadged Nine Eagles, Revel is carried by hobby shops, Nine Eagles usually isn't): http://image.helipal.com/ne-sp-tx.jpg. Both the MCX and Revel controller have very little resistance, but they do center.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Mar 18, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:48 PM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
Just a few days ago I purchased the Horizon Hobby Scout coax for my father. I test flew it and found no spring on the throttle and little tension on the right stick. Also small controller with no exposed antenna to break. Worth a look.
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined May 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Sorry for the confusing post, that's the MCX controller. Here's the Revel controller (Revel is rebadged Nine Eagles, Revel is carried by hobby shops, Nine Eagles usually isn't): http://image.helipal.com/ne-sp-tx.jpg. Both the MCX and Revel controller have very little resistance, but they do center.
yeah, i'm aware of the revell/nine eagles thing, i first saw the controller on some nine eagles models but they were too expensive, but it seems the revell ones are much cheaper. i saw that you can change modes by turning it over, but that would mean the throttle stick switch to the other one, so how does that work with the throttle spring? i mean the throttle is always all the way in the down position, so is that still the case with this? if so, how does that work when you switch modes/flip it over?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,621 Posts
The Nine Eagles controllers have a patterned Mode 1/2 conversion, by flipping the controller over. The Throttle stick has NO spring. Springs are only for the other 3 channels. So, if the throttle was on the left and you flip it over to the right, the throttle is on the right hand side. What was up is now down, etc. But there is no spring whether it is on the left or on the right.