HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:54 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,369 Posts
Scamp73, that sucks my friend. Been there done that, your not alone. I did a little Google search for Dubro 2.5" three blade spinner and came up with the best price through Amazon.com. I have never had a bad Dubro spinner, they allways spin true. Your bird looks plenty fixable, with out a doubt these birds are tough.
semperfi1970 is offline Find More Posts by semperfi1970
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:57 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2012
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfi1970 View Post
Scamp73, that sucks my friend. Been there done that, your not alone. I did a little Google search for Dubro 2.5" three blade spinner and came up with the best price through Amazon.com. I have never had a bad Dubro spinner, they allways spin true. Your bird looks plenty fixable, with out a doubt these birds are tough.
So I can use a Dubro spinner on this? Excellent..... Thanks for the info semperfi
Scamp73 is offline Find More Posts by Scamp73
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:43 PM
Doug ''Doctordug'' Steele
Joined Jun 2011
247 Posts
Got my Dynam Spit 3 weeks ago.And love flying it.I'm a bit troubled with the nose wanting to tip over during takoffs,so i taped 2 quaters to the elevator. seems to have fixed that issue.
I did put in a thunderbird54 ESC and an EMP c3542 1250 KV motor and 11x8 3 blade prop. only running 3s 2600mAh batteries. same setup as my Dynam P51.
i never had problems finding the props on ebay.or the 4mm prop adapters.just picked up 4 for $10 free shipping.also picked up 2 sets of motor shafts.
Switching back and forth for the Spit to the Mustang is the spit doesnt have much rudder.I can see the spit shudder at mid speed.and can't even start to pull a knife edge on it.I got the Mustang doing it pretty well
Doctordug is offline Find More Posts by Doctordug
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:51 PM
Doug ''Doctordug'' Steele
Joined Jun 2011
247 Posts
I recommend covering it in packing tape.After I had a radio black out and had to rebuild her.I covered it completly and thought it going to fly slugish cause of it being heavier.Just the oposite.Flies smoother and faster.Took a few tries to get the motor mount correct.but I think I have it right now. I have it pointing left of the rudder and straight at the elev.
Doctordug is offline Find More Posts by Doctordug
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:44 PM
CEL abuser
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2010
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp73 View Post
Also, there was a lead weight that was mounted somewhere in the front that I did find with the wreckage. Does anyone know where I should mnt this on the plane again?
Hey man, they are imbedded behind the motor firewall. If you have glued up your nose, you won't be able to get to it. I posted a photo in the thread of where I found them. Ditch it and put a big 4S battery in there and call it gravy.

Also as others have said, any number of spinners fit on this plane.
pr0ject42 is offline Find More Posts by pr0ject42
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:11 PM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,100 Posts
The spinner from my Tower P-51 fits it too!
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,369 Posts
I got the second Spitfire in the mail yesterday and hit the jackpot with the good pilot. The foam looks real good with no flaws unlike the first one. Now its just finding time to tinker with it. I may cut all of the epo hinges rite out of the shoot and replace them with real hinges as I have already replaced the rudder hinges on the first Spit. I must have cracked the hinge on a nose over before the gear mod was done.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:44 AM
Love Flying History
United States, VA, Front Royal
Joined Sep 2011
804 Posts
Semperfi
have a blast with the new spit. Plus this one should ballance out alittle easier as well.
mustangloyd is offline Find More Posts by mustangloyd
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,369 Posts
I sure hope it balances out better Loyd. The first spit needed alot of nose weight and then a little more. Checked out the cooling vents you spoke of Loyd and cut the Spit were the Killerplanes fella did. You have to look for the vent, it dosent stand out that much.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:05 AM
Just throw it up!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2011
1,396 Posts
Hi guys. I flew the spit a few times again today, this time with a fair bit of wind. It is a great wind plane. I think it might be it's sleek body, but it doesn't get affected by wind as much as my other planes.

With the flaps down and landing into the wind, it was touching down at walking pace, so easy to land, even with the wind.

With the 2800mah 4cell batteries, I am getting 7 min flights, and even then I am only putting 1400mah back in the batteries, so there is heaps of margin even at 7 mins for a botched landing attempt and having to go around again.

It is strange that it is not much faster from 3/4 throttle to full throttle, almost like the prop cannot beat anymore air, but it is still fast enough for me, and my fastest plane.
Merlin Power is offline Find More Posts by Merlin Power
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,267 Posts
Do a throttle test whilst holding it and feel/hear the RPM change - to tell if it does actually change RPM right to max throttle. Often enough it doesn't really increase all the way.
Then armed with that 'memory' fly it and see if you think if the speed change does match off with what you saw the throttle does really do (or not).

On my Durafly P-51, when it was upped to run on 4S its speed only rose a smallish amount. And like you mention, higher throttle area use did not increase speed. Because (as far as I can determine) the higher RPM does outrun the blades ability to bite/grab air, so it probably cavitates from a certain RPM area onwards. Thus real RPM increase does not show in speed increase.

You would need to optimise the prop size/pitch to suit the new RPM/power ability of the motor on 4S, if you wanted to truly capture what gains 4S could have. Otherwise (to save effort I guess).... just accept the gains you have made, and the non-optimal issues that could have come with that.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,369 Posts
Well I got the grey base primer (bottom color) on the Spit and I think I know the pattern I want. It will be less than correct but Im thinking the Grey nurse shark teeth with invasion stripes. A grey bottom and dark green camo on lite brown base.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:57 PM
Love Flying History
United States, VA, Front Royal
Joined Sep 2011
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfi1970 View Post
Well I got the grey base primer (bottom color) on the Spit and I think I know the pattern I want. It will be less than correct but Im thinking the Grey nurse shark teeth with invasion stripes. A grey bottom and dark green camo on lite brown base.
Don't forget to call Callie graphics
mustangloyd is offline Find More Posts by mustangloyd
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:22 PM
Just throw it up!
Joined Jul 2011
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Do a throttle test whilst holding it and feel/hear the RPM change - to tell if it does actually change RPM right to max throttle. Often enough it doesn't really increase all the way.
Then armed with that 'memory' fly it and see if you think if the speed change does match off with what you saw the throttle does really do (or not).

On my Durafly P-51, when it was upped to run on 4S its speed only rose a smallish amount. And like you mention, higher throttle area use did not increase speed. Because (as far as I can determine) the higher RPM does outrun the blades ability to bite/grab air, so it probably cavitates from a certain RPM area onwards. Thus real RPM increase does not show in speed increase.

You would need to optimise the prop size/pitch to suit the new RPM/power ability of the motor on 4S, if you wanted to truly capture what gains 4S could have. Otherwise (to save effort I guess).... just accept the gains you have made, and the non-optimal issues that could have come with that.
Thanks for that Peter. Yeah i have re-done the throttle calibration and it didn't make any difference. It just feels strange when you are flying around on 3/4 throttle and you punch the throttle and it doesnt pick up much speed, but put it into a climb and that is when you notice the difference, it climbs like an F15! Straight up.

Now that the Durafly P51 is in the Aus Warehouse, I am tempted to get it to compliment the Dynam Spit, and run it on the same batteries, obviously with an upgraded ESC.

I will leave the standard prop on. I like the way it flies, and is fast enough for a warbird, plus it is very efficient on 4cell setup. Being able to fly for 7mins the way I fly and having heaps of battery still left is great.
Merlin Power is offline Find More Posts by Merlin Power
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:31 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,369 Posts
Took the electrics to the school back parkinglot this morning. 32 deg in western NY this morning and the esc's loved it, my fingers hated it. I took up the PT-17 first to get the bugs out of my fingers and get my mind working correctly. Funny enough the Spitfire flies slower and is more stable than the PT-17, its a warbird mind trick. I had a wonderful time playing pylon racer around the light poles, darn near hit one with the bipe because I turned on the inside as depth perception is not my better suit. I think I will buy some 4s batteries as I have a esc that will work with them and have cut a vent hole under the spinner. I have found that the Spit needs a tad more power for low level fooling around as she lacks the grunt to pull me out of trouble. The pipe has tons of power compaired to the Spit, I assume because it weights allmost 1 pound less and still has a ton of weight stuffed in the fake radial. The Spit is still my favorite as it looks so scale in the air, love to bank it so I can see those wings against the sky. A week or so ago I got a volt meter/alarm and played with it today alot. I set the single cell low voltage for 3.8 volts and flew till the alarm sounded. I set my pocket timer for 5 minutes and flew till the low voltage alarm sounded to see how much fly time I have been cheating myself out of. I was happy with the 2 minute gain average with my 1800mah batteries and 3 minute gain on my 2650mah. Out of the 11 batteries I used this morning I gained almost a half hour flight time. The best $4 with free shipping (ebay) I ever spent.

Loyd, I think I am going to paint the graphics on myself as it makes the fun last longer. After I botch the job Im sure I will call Callie to bail me out.