HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:20 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2005
39 Posts
Looks like the only one currently in stock is http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...x80x44mm_.html

Any pilot up to 44mm high will fit under the canopy - providing they look big enough to be scale. But these were made for gliders about the size of the Ventus so they look good!!
SuperCub Man is offline Find More Posts by SuperCub Man
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:43 PM
Registered User
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
Ok I found one thanks.
As soon as i get some time I"ll put this thing together.
I have a G-CFox, sinks like a rock; this one can't be any worse. fox looks great flying though.
I have a Ask 21 haven't flown it yet, with a nearly 9 foot wing span our present field isn;t big enough, were in the process of moving the field, the new field will be much bigger. can't wait to try the ASK21.
btdt is offline Find More Posts by btdt
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:46 PM
Registered User
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCub Man View Post
Looks like the only one currently in stock is http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...x80x44mm_.html

Any pilot up to 44mm high will fit under the canopy - providing they look big enough to be scale. But these were made for gliders about the size of the Ventus so they look good!!
yep thats the one I got.
thanks again
btdt is offline Find More Posts by btdt
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:02 PM
Registered User
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
any one how do you reverse the shaft on a brushless motor? I"ve never did that. I know theres a set screw on on end and a key on the other but if I take the key off and remove the set screw the shaft still doesnt come out.
btdt is offline Find More Posts by btdt
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:19 AM
Registered User
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btdt View Post
any one how do you reverse the shaft on a brushless motor? I"ve never did that. I know theres a set screw on on end and a key on the other but if I take the key off and remove the set screw the shaft still doesnt come out.
After looking at this thing closer, it's not possible to reverse the shaft
btdt is offline Find More Posts by btdt
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:01 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2005
39 Posts
With any that I have had there is a circlip and washer on one end and the grub screw on the other. After removing both I gently tap one end with a light hammer until it moves - usually pushing it through from one side to the other. The shaft is a very tight fit. Then I replace the circlip which is now on the prop end of the shaft in a new groove and tighten the grub screw. Usually there are two grooves on the shaft for the circlip so this move can be accomplished. Drill a hole in a piece of wood - or your bench - that the shaft can slide into while the wood supports the bell or casing while you're "tapping" it!.
You're on your own - but I've done many this way.
SuperCub Man is offline Find More Posts by SuperCub Man
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:23 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2005
39 Posts
btdt - You might also find this site useful and this "How To" as well. Thanks to Jackson Stone for the tip on this supplier.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...t--dsh-/Detail
SuperCub Man is offline Find More Posts by SuperCub Man
Last edited by SuperCub Man; Nov 15, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:01 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2005
39 Posts
Got two nice flights in today. Could be last ones this year unless the weather holds. On the last flight I suddenly lost power and just made the field. Then I saw that all the magic smoke had gone out of the motor and it no longer worked!! So now I need a new motor and maybe one with a bit more power - assuming that's why this one died. Any suggestions? All the ones I looked at earlier in the forum seemed to be O/S or I couldn't find them. HK may drop some models as new ones replace them i guess. Any toughts would be helpful!
SuperCub Man is offline Find More Posts by SuperCub Man
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:56 AM
Registered User
shahrin's Avatar
Kedah, Malaysia.
Joined Feb 2007
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
RTBates,

Sounds like you are doing a fantastic job on your Ventus. Please post some pictures. I think I am flying mine with a CG that is 43 mm back from the leading edge which seems pretty ideal. I think if you get much further back than 45 mm she will become unstable.

I continue to have some incredibly flying experiences with my Ventus. Here is a video from yesterday:

https://vimeo.com/41684919

Keep us posted on your progress!

Cheers,

Jackson
Excellent video n song jack... whats the title of the song?
Got mine yesterday... its a long way to go..
shahrin is offline Find More Posts by shahrin
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:46 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCub Man View Post
Got two nice flights in today. Could be last ones this year unless the weather holds. On the last flight I suddenly lost power and just made the field. Then I saw that all the magic smoke had gone out of the motor and it no longer worked!! So now I need a new motor and maybe one with a bit more power - assuming that's why this one died. Any suggestions? All the ones I looked at earlier in the forum seemed to be O/S or I couldn't find them. HK may drop some models as new ones replace them i guess. Any toughts would be helpful!
I'm looking to build a ventus and am struggling to decide on a suitable motor, did you decide on one? If anyone has any suggestions from current HK stock it would be appreciated. Or if anyone can give me an idea what I should be looking for that would be great. I gather around 50g?, 28mm? but am a bit confused with how many W will be needed. Also the mounting/ reversing the shaft? Any suggestions and tips would be appreciated.
gilb55 is offline Find More Posts by gilb55
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:20 PM
Feeling the THRALL
Jackson Stone's Avatar
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Music from Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahrin View Post
Excellent video n song jack... whats the title of the song?
Got mine yesterday... its a long way to go..
The song is "Now we are free" from the Gladiator soundtrack. It is a beautiful piece of music that I have loved for years.

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:31 PM
Registered User
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
I"ve got the ventus finished and ready to test fly.but theres one thing that realy bothers me; it's that realy small elevator. Do any of you guys have a problem controling the ventus with this very small elevator?
btdt is offline Find More Posts by btdt
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:20 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2005
39 Posts
No trouble at all. Quite effective. Flies very fast!!
SuperCub Man is offline Find More Posts by SuperCub Man
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:37 PM
Feeling the THRALL
Jackson Stone's Avatar
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btdt View Post
I"ve got the ventus finished and ready to test fly.but theres one thing that realy bothers me; it's that realy small elevator. Do any of you guys have a problem controling the ventus with this very small elevator?
It is one of the oddities of this hobby that some planes have really big elevators, while others are tiny. The Ventus elevator is surprisingly adequate, however if you want more elevator for tight turns I suggest you mix in some flap with your elevator. You can do this when the elevator is in the "up" position and not in the down position. It is quite easy to do on my DX8 tx, however I don't know what tx you are flying with.

Regards,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:45 AM
Registered User
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
It is one of the oddities of this hobby that some planes have really big elevators, while others are tiny. The Ventus elevator is surprisingly adequate, however if you want more elevator for tight turns I suggest you mix in some flap with your elevator. You can do this when the elevator is in the "up" position and not in the down position. It is quite easy to do on my DX8 tx, however I don't know what tx you are flying with.

Regards,

Jackson
thanks for the reply----I fly with a JR 9303 so its no problem to get some mixing in.
btdt is offline Find More Posts by btdt
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Hobby City's EPO 3d-Hawk Boxhead 3D Foamies 494 Today 06:06 AM
Discussion ASW 28 EPO from Hobby City - thoughts? Angelo Electric Sailplanes 298 Jul 13, 2011 08:08 AM
Discussion 70mm composite L-39 from Hobby City unknown flyer Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 12 Dec 04, 2010 03:14 PM
Discussion Hobby King(city) Vs Hobby Partz mikeruth Vendor Talk 21 Nov 03, 2010 08:38 PM
Sold PRICE DROP - WOW! Hobby City F-14 Tomcat with 2 Dons Wicked 4000 NIB MinneFlyer Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 9 Sep 06, 2010 10:38 PM