Closed Thread
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:22 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDH View Post
To make a time-lapse with VirtualDub, you need to set both the frame rate and the "Decimate by" in the box below the frame rate setting. Decimate will throw out the frames you no longer need. If you want to speed the video up by 10, set the frame rate to the original rate x10 (= 300 in the #11), then set the "Decimate by" to 10 so it will only take every 10th frame. (That is, the output file will still have 30 frames per second, but they will be every 10th frame from the original.)
Hi Roger,

I tried your method, but it comes out very jerky compared to the method I gave. It looks to me like the toggles in the frame Rate Conversion box are all mutually exclusive (Radio Buttons!). If I set the frame rate to 300 fps there and then select decimate by 10, only the decimate by 10 toggle takes effect. The video plays back every 10th frame at what ever frame rate the source frame rate is toggle to. If I set the frame rate to 300 fps setting last in that block, I get a video that plays back at 300 fps, but with each frame duplicated 10 times, so it still looks like the original playing back at 30 fps. The only way I can get a video to play back all frames smoothly at an accelerated rate is to just set the Source Frame rate to 300 fps and leave the other toggle set to "process all frames".
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:26 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,217 Posts
Wide angle lenses

HI Fellas

I have been doing hours of searching here on lenses and it seems the best bet is to go the non fish eye because there is less vignetting & darkness at the edges e.g. this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180682979352. I don't need the macro function.

But does it give the same wide angle as this one?
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/15mm-de...-cameras-39814

Thanks

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Jun 29, 2011, 02:18 AM
Joined Feb 2011
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Hi Roger,

I tried your method, but it comes out very jerky compared to the method I gave. It looks to me like the toggles in the frame Rate Conversion box are all mutually exclusive (Radio Buttons!). If I set the frame rate to 300 fps there and then select decimate by 10, only the decimate by 10 toggle takes effect. The video plays back every 10th frame at what ever frame rate the source frame rate is toggle to. If I set the frame rate to 300 fps setting last in that block, I get a video that plays back at 300 fps, but with each frame duplicated 10 times, so it still looks like the original playing back at 30 fps. The only way I can get a video to play back all frames smoothly at an accelerated rate is to just set the Source Frame rate to 300 fps and leave the other toggle set to "process all frames".
Sorry I wasn't clear -- I was going from memory -- but I set the SOURCE frame rate, the same as your method, but then set the Decimate By in the Conversion box to remove frames, so the output video ends up being 30 fps, not 300 fps, and it's 1/10th the file size. I saw this method recommended on a forum a few years ago, and it works well for me. If your computer can really process anything like 300 fps, then that would certainly be smoother than 30 fps, but mine won't, so your method looks choppier on my computer, apparently because of random numbers of playback dropped frames.
RogerDH is online now Find More Posts by RogerDH
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:25 AM
United States, GA, Loganville
Joined Jan 2011
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
HI Fellas

I have been doing hours of searching here on lenses and it seems the best bet is to go the non fish eye because there is less vignetting & darkness at the edges e.g. this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180682979352. I don't need the macro function.

But does it give the same wide angle as this one?
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/15mm-de...-cameras-39814

Thanks

Kev
I've been lurking here soaking up all kinds of information. I'm glad I can finally answer a question. I use these lenses with my d001/md80 camera. I just recieved the one you linked to from the same seller in the mail today after I ordered it around the 17th.

The ebay one is a .67x lens and will give you a view like this:

Compare that to the original FOV from the d005 cam:

The deal extreme one is .28x or 180 degrees and offers a much wider view:

I don't have an rc plane yet (but keep posting vids and I might have to get one!), but I use these on my motorcycle. I use the .67x when I mount the cam higher on the bike and the 180 degree one when I do low mounts. A good example can be seen in my recent video where I've been testing mounts:
Mini DVR on motorcycle (7 min 4 sec)

The aiming isn't perfect but you get the idea. The 180 lens is on the cam that shows the front tire in the inset facing forward and then again facing rear toward the end. Using that lens insures that I get a bit of the bike in the vid. The .67x is on the helmet cam and the "butt cam" (as my niece called it). FWIW, I think both are 13mm and that can cause a bit of fisheye effect especially with the 180. If you get the 15mm one, you'll get the same view but without the fisheye.

There's one more lens, the .38x but due to it's size, I'm not sure how well it'll work with the keychain cams. From what I've seen, it's kind of in between the two listed above and I think I may be purchasing one this weekend because sometimes the 180 is just too wide.

I have one more vid with a high mount that I used the .67x on but I'm thinking I'll try the 180 to see if I like that better. If I find it's too wide, then I'll order the .38x lens.
High Mount Motorcycle Cam (2 min 27 sec)

Here's a pic of the .38x so you can see why I think it may not work well with the keychain cam.

What I really wish is that they would put the #11 into the d001/md80 form factor and maybe offer 60fps.
theWolfTamer is offline Find More Posts by theWolfTamer
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:54 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,217 Posts
Welcome to RCG WolfTamer. A good contribution for your first post!

Hey, that is just what I wanted to see. That's a big difference between the 180 & the .67. Makes for an easy decision because I want to mount the #11 cam on the rudder of my Fox so that I can capture the entire aircraft from wing tip to wing tip ala: http://www.youtube.com/user/georgitu.../1/cWaEoMAf1Z8

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Jun 29, 2011, 04:07 AM
United States, GA, Loganville
Joined Jan 2011
302 Posts
Thanks Kev.

I see what you mean, that vid would definitely look better without the fisheye effect blurring what you'd like to see.
theWolfTamer is offline Find More Posts by theWolfTamer
Old Jun 29, 2011, 04:51 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,362 Posts
I have both the 0.67 wide/macro lens (W-67) and the 180 fish-eye (FE-12). I agree the fish-eye lens can be a little TOO wide at times, but I found it to be better focused around the edges than the other one. The wide/macro still gives a wider angle than without it, but tends to stay sharp in the center and blurs towards the edges. If it will help I'll post a short video to show the difference.
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jun 29, 2011, 08:11 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Hi Roger,

It is jerky and I can't figure out why. It may be because the frame rate of the original is not exactly 30fps, it's around 29.94. The conversion seems to skip an odd frame now and then, making the output jerky. Still cannot get the output to speed up using only the frame rate adjustment without decimating. Not bad really, but just a little jumpy in spots.

Here is what I get with the 1000 frame rate and decimating 30.
br 12clipped (0 min 26 sec)
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:19 AM
Joined Feb 2011
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
It is jerky and I can't figure out why. It may be because the frame rate of the original is not exactly 30fps, it's around 29.94. The conversion seems to skip an odd frame now and then, making the output jerky. Still cannot get the output to speed up using only the frame rate adjustment without decimating. Not bad really, but just a little jumpy in spots.
I don't think the original fps being 29.94 will cause dropped frames, but you can try setting the frame rate to 299.4 instead of 300. Another thing to try is setting the Decimate By to 5 instead of 10. That will make the output 60 fps instead of 30. (Increasing the source frame rate is what's actually speeding up the action, while the Decimate is just reducing the final fps.) If you computer can display 60 fps, that should be smoother.
RogerDH is online now Find More Posts by RogerDH
Last edited by RogerDH; Jun 29, 2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:13 PM
Nederland, Gelderland, Meteren
Joined Dec 2010
202 Posts
Has somebody a broken #11 cam laying around, I'm looking for a new lens, because mine has a scratch on it. Don't ask me how i have done that.

I've tried a lens from a #3 cam but it's to small.

If you have one send me a PM.
KeesvR is offline Find More Posts by KeesvR
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:30 PM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
New to this camera. MOV to AVI problem

I've just upgraded to an HD camera - a genuine one from hxelepro. It's the model shown to the left of the 'regular' keychain cam in Post 2. It seems to have the latest software (guessing) and has no date stamp (good!) It works fine but I,m having problems getting good quality conversions from MOV. I've been using AVC (Any Video Converter) and the best quality from that is using .mpg as the output which takes an hour to convert a 10 minute MOV.
I've installed MP4CAMTOAVI but it gives a very choppy video - awful! I assume that I need to add the H.264 codec. I've downloaded ffdshow but I have no idea where to go from here. How do I add the codec from ffdshow. You've probably guessed that I'm a bit out of my depth
BTW, I use VLC media player!
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Last edited by mixer421; Jun 29, 2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: More info.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:51 PM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Apr 2011
316 Posts
Why bothering converting the format?
Just use another editor, that is capable of H.264 videos.
It is the best to do so to keep as close to the original video quality.
I can think only one reason to convert. So to play on very old PCs.

You can see in the FAQ what editors to use.
I myself use WLMM, Corel VideoStudio Pro and Cyberlink PowerDirector.
air_crash is offline Find More Posts by air_crash
Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:48 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,221 Posts
Hey mixer421,

Check the posts in the opening of the thread. They have the link you need to MP4cam2AVI and Freemake Converter.

Be sure to post your vids.

Joe
Joespeeder is online now Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:59 PM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by air_crash View Post
Why bothering converting the format?
Just use another editor, that is capable of H.264 videos.
It is the best to do so to keep as close to the original video quality.
I can think only one reason to convert. So to play on very old PCs.

You can see in the FAQ what editors to use.
I myself use WLMM, Corel VideoStudio Pro and Cyberlink PowerDirector.
I am running an 'old' PC with Win XP. I do not wish to upgrade as this does almost everything I require. I have Movie Edit Pro which works well with most formats so I do not intend spending my pension on overpriced software just for a hobby. But thanks anyway.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Jun 29, 2011, 04:27 PM
Lucid Dreamer
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeesvR View Post
Has somebody a broken #11 cam laying around, I'm looking for a new lens, because mine has a scratch on it. Don't ask me how i have done that.

I've tried a lens from a #3 cam but it's to small.

If you have one send me a PM.
I managed to get into the pool with mine today, and so it's fried.

I don't know if it will still work for you, but will send a PM. The wiring is all corroded so I really don't think so though.
kobkobico is offline Find More Posts by kobkobico
Closed Thread