SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:01 PM
Wanaka, NZ
Joined Mar 2009
601 Posts
Discussion
UMX extra 300 3d - Eflite

WOW, these guys have really done it again.

this thing looks awesome
E-flite UMX Extra 300 3D BNF.wmv (1 min 10 sec)
qman is offline Find More Posts by qman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:11 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,430 Posts
yep released here in Oz today

http://www.modelflight.com.au/produc...-7615-192.html

Overview

The Ultra Micro eXtreme (UMX) Extra 300 3D makes the dream of a 3D plane you can fly almost anywhere a reality. With a flying weight of barely over an ounce (just 33 grams), battery and all, it is slow and light enough to fly extreme 3D maneuvers in spaces no larger than a dining or conference room. Its ingenious laser-cut foam airframe, designed by ETOC champ Seth Arnold, makes it all possible.

The structure uses a fraction of the foam material usually used in profile planes of this type and is covered with micro-thin film. The airframe is reinforced with carbon fiber rods that keep flexing and twisting to a minimum so you can fly the most aggressive 3D maneuvers with absolute precision. Optional Side Force Generators are also included. These razor-thin pieces of foam slide onto the leading edge of the wing and enhance rudder authority in knife-edge flight. They improve tracking during precision aerobatics too.

The UMX™ Extra 300 3D BNF comes completely assembled with a punchy 8.5mm coreless brushed motor and Spektrum™ AR6400L Ultra Micro DSM2 Receiver/ESC installed. Built-in long-throw servos on the AR6400L drive the elevator and rudder while two independent Spektrum AS2000L long-throw
ultra micro servos drive the ailerons. A 1S 3.7V 150mAh Li-Po battery and DC Li-Po charger are also included. For best performance, a DSM2 aircraft transmitter with dual rates and expo is
recommended.
Features

Completely built and flight ready—just bind to any DSM2™ aircraft transmitter with dual rates and expo
Includes a Li-Po flight battery and DC Li-Po charger
Small and light enough for experienced pilots to fly almost anywhere indoors

Specs list for EFLU1080
Wingspan 16.8 in (427mm)
Overall Length 19.4 in (494mm)
Wing Area 74 sq in (4.8 sq dm)
Flying Weight 1.2 oz (32.5g)
Motor Size 8.5mm Coreless Brushed
Trim Scheme Colors Red, Grey, Clear, Black
Prop Size 130mm x 70mm
Recommended Battery 3.7V 1-Cell 150mAh LiPo
Approx. Flying Duration 6-8 minutes
Scale Ultra Micro
Minimum Age Recommendation 14 years
Experience Level Advanced
Recommended Environment Indoor/Outdoor
Assembly Time Less than 1 Hour
Is Assembly Required No

not really my cup of tea, i like scale looking planes more so than flat foamies, but i'm sure this will be a blast for those that like the 4site type 3D plane

cheers chuck

PS have you seen the Yak 25 yet? or the new war bird the PZ P-47
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Last edited by ChuckTseeker; Oct 20, 2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:22 PM
Wanaka, NZ
Joined Mar 2009
601 Posts
yeah the carbon z yak looks sweet and so does the P-47 and also the new eflite edf habu arf.

to many fun things.

this extra looks awesome but i am sort of amazed they went with a geared motor, the first thing we will see is the extra umx mod thread. :-(
qman is offline Find More Posts by qman
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:42 AM
CAP 232-aholic
Centreville, VA
Joined Jan 2003
1,386 Posts
OMG! that thing is sweet! I MUST have one..

gosh..another one already LOL
DiabloKid is offline Find More Posts by DiabloKid
Old Oct 21, 2010, 01:10 AM
Areoplain Chapmion Flire
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2010
147 Posts
Wow that looks like rubbish. I'm sure it's not but it looks like the 4-site, which I think also looks like rubbish. Looks like a flying cardboard cutout.
Mister Gun is offline Find More Posts by Mister Gun
Old Oct 21, 2010, 05:46 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Would have liked them to keep the UMX name for the brushless motors.... This is just a flat foamy with a brushed motor. Basically, they were likely tired to see their electronic guts landing in a Dynex so they made their own. Wondering if they will sell the frame alone at a decent price so we can do some transplant ourselves....

And at$159.99, this make the Beast suddenly look not soo expensive for $10 more. But, it will likely come with one of the greatest thing about HH airplanes, the BOX.... For something that light, it's a must and those boxes are great.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 21, 2010, 06:26 AM
"Add Lightness"..Colin Chapman
Keystone State, USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,153 Posts
Having to be at work at 6am has its advantages!

I love getting on here and seeing what the others have found
on the other side of the world!

Of course, since it's today here......
http://searchrc.horizonhobby.com/ind...802E423&N=5913
They are now posted on Horizon's site.
Elisecat is online now Find More Posts by Elisecat
Old Oct 21, 2010, 06:46 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Yikes, I guess I can kiss my carrying box goodbye....

First, it's almost 20" long. And then, there's the dreaded: "Assembly Time Less than 1 Hour"
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 21, 2010, 07:45 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,096 Posts
Ya I figured UMX might mean brushless as well. Seems to be confusion now between what is UM and what is UMX?
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 21, 2010, 08:03 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,283 Posts
UMX = Ultra Micro eXtreme, really meaning extreme performance regardless of power system. It's a series in the E-flite brand which alone means it requires a higher degree of piloting skill.

UMS = Ultra Micro Series in ParkZone. ParkZone as a brand is more focused on airplanes requiring a lesser amount of piloting skill, making them more accessible to a wider audience.

So primarily look at the brand a product is in to assess the performance expectation, not the type of power system. (We know the Sukhoi doesn't fit, but there is history there that predates the UMX series).
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 21, 2010, 08:07 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,096 Posts
Thanks Dave. I guess it was just a hope/assumption some of were making in seeing more brushless UM coming.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:16 AM
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
Dallas,Tx.
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
Boo.. Why did they have to make it a profile and brushed?

They should have made it a full fuse with the beast powerplant. Let's hope the speed plane that they may come out with will be full fuse and with that beast powerplant.

I'm all for more 1s planes out there, heck 90% of my aircraft are powered by 1s. This just seems like a step backwards for the UM scene.
ICU is offline Find More Posts by ICU
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:33 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
Amazing...
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:01 AM
Mx
Joined Mar 2008
233 Posts
Wow
iceman77 is offline Find More Posts by iceman77
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:32 AM
Joined Oct 2008
2,603 Posts
I like the plane its light for 3d looks aren’t everything its more important how it fly’s, but I wont be getting any 3d plane with a brushed motor on it. At lest the umx beast is value for money now . i really thought eflite where moving on from them brushed motors but it seems they just cant help them selfs with giving us them brushed motors .
dazzzer1 is offline Find More Posts by dazzzer1