SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 20, 2010, 08:50 AM
sensitive artsy type
Treetop's Avatar
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Discussion
Republicans poised to fight banking reforms

The party of the little folks works its magic once again. They are going to bat for the folks who got us into this mess, to try to preserve their ability to do it again. It's immoral, un-American and defies logic. But it serves their financiers.
Treetop is online now Find More Posts by Treetop
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 08:54 AM
In Development Now
Indiana_Geoff's Avatar
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
Tree, can you tell us what the bill will do? I mean specifically. Since you are advocating for it there be some sort of bill to support.
Indiana_Geoff is online now Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:07 AM
Registered User
mikefast's Avatar
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff View Post
Tree, can you tell us what the bill will do? I mean specifically. Since you are advocating for it there be some sort of bill to support.
That doesn't matter. Just because the Republicans want to change it means it MUST be perfect just the way it is.
mikefast is online now Find More Posts by mikefast
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:11 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefast View Post
That doesn't matter. Just because the Republicans want to change it means it MUST be perfect just the way it is.
'coz my Team is better than your Team, Nyaaahhh! ?
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:23 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Big Foot 48's Avatar
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
The party of the little folks works its magic once again.
I thought that was the Dems? The Repubs are the party of the big folks.

From what I recall, this bill would be a significant increase in the power of the Executive Branch, with a $50? billion fund for bailing out (i.e. protecting from market risk) financial institutions of its choice. The opportunity for hanki-panki would be significant.

We need smart, transparent financial reform. The Dodd bill may not be that as of yet.

WSJ opinion:
Quote:
.....this legislation would allow regulators, without a vote of Congress, to explicitly put the full faith and credit of the U.S. government behind Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan and Morgan Stanley, among others. This list could have more than 8,000 names on it, because any bank or company that owns a bank, or is a affiliated with a company that owns a bank, is eligible.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...012449686.html
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Last edited by Big Foot 48; Apr 20, 2010 at 09:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:29 AM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
What's the fuss? The Democrats don't need any help from the Republicans, they passed healthcare reform without a single Republican vote. Just do that same thing again.
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:35 AM
Registered User
mikefast's Avatar
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
'coz my Team is better than your Team, Nyaaahhh! ?
Unfortunately, here in the U.S. it is becoming that way more and more. If one party wants something, the other party won't. Not because it's good or bad for the country, but the party is now more important than the country. And like it or not, right or wrong, the guy we have occupying the White House now is the most divisive President that we have ever had.
mikefast is online now Find More Posts by mikefast
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:39 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefast View Post
Unfortunately, here in the U.S. it is becoming that way more and more. If one party wants something, the other party won't. Not because it's good or bad for the country, but the party is now more important than the country. And like it or not, right or wrong, the guy we have occupying the White House now is the most divisive President that we have ever had.
Well, only if you guys want it to be so... and that would be sad!
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:40 AM
Trons and Fumes
wrightme's Avatar
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefast View Post
Unfortunately, here in the U.S. it is becoming that way more and more. If one party wants something, the other party won't. Not because it's good or bad for the country, but the party is now more important than the country. And like it or not, right or wrong, the guy we have occupying the White House now is the most divisive President that we have ever had.
But, I thought he was all about the reach-arou..., er, Reach Across the aisle?
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:42 AM
Registered User
mikefast's Avatar
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
Well, only if you guys want it to be so... and that would be sad!
It is sad. I'll agree with that. But unfortunately, that is the way it is now. That is why I think there should be term limits. We should get rid of those that have been in for years.
mikefast is online now Find More Posts by mikefast
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:43 AM
Registered User
mikefast's Avatar
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
But, I thought he was all about the reach-arou..., er, Reach Across the aisle?
Yeah, isn't that what "HE" ran as? The one who would bring us hope and change? Didn't quite work out that way did it?
mikefast is online now Find More Posts by mikefast
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:43 AM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
Well, only if you guys want it to be so... and that would be sad!
The divisiveness comes mostly from the big O. He's the first president to ever criticize the SCOTUS during a State of the Union Address. That behavior is typical of his, "I'm the only one whose opinion counts," mentality.
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:45 AM
Slope Stud
ORANATOR's Avatar
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2001
2,272 Posts
GOP Minority Leader Called Out Over Big Banks

Oranator
ORANATOR is offline Find More Posts by ORANATOR
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:47 AM
fix-it-up chappie
tolladay's Avatar
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
The divisiveness comes mostly from the big O. He's the first president to ever criticize the SCOTUS during a State of the Union Address. That behavior is typical of his, "I'm the only one whose opinion counts," mentality.
My, oh my. How ironic that sounds.

One might conceivably state that Obama's election has caused a lot of divisiveness, but to claim the divisiveness comes from him, takes the cake.

It's a bit like blaming a rape victim for dressing provocatively.
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:52 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
The divisiveness comes mostly from the big O. He's the first president to ever criticize the SCOTUS during a State of the Union Address. That behavior is typical of his, "I'm the only one whose opinion counts," mentality.
What you say might be true, but he doesn't append here, I'm afraid you guys do!
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggestion Dog Fight Konrad Site Suggestions / Complaints 6 Apr 08, 2010 05:55 PM
Sold Phoenix Fight Simulator 2.5 120.00 Shipped! RAPTOR 3D Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 0 Mar 11, 2010 05:58 PM
Discussion Would Republicans really choose to do harm to our country? Gman2 Life, The Universe, and Politics 63 Mar 04, 2010 03:06 PM