SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:42 AM
Great Britain
Joined Dec 2008
1,750 Posts
just ordered one
MrBen. is online now Find More Posts by MrBen.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:48 AM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
511 Posts
Finally an OSD with decent sized connectors instead of those huge molex connectors used on other OSDs. I think I'm going to order one for my smaller models.
cmanley_nl is online now Find More Posts by cmanley_nl
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:59 PM
It's a job...
United States, PA, Warrington
Joined May 2012
1,238 Posts
GPS Question.

Would it be possible to attach a different GPS sensor?
One that is 10 Hz, for better accuracy. Like this one. EBAY

Also has anyone had success using a 5v camera with this?
Either supplied from a separate power source (ie Vtx, UBEC or VR)

Thanks
747Pilot is offline Find More Posts by 747Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Taranis Frsky Telemetry &...
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:02 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 747Pilot View Post
Also has anyone had success using a 5v camera with this?
Either supplied from a separate power source (ie Vtx, UBEC or VR)

Thanks
I'm using a 5V camera(a fatshark/Immersion setup). All I had to do was run the video out wire from the camera to the OSD, then from the OSD to the Vtx. The camera + and - still go to the Immersion Vtx for power and ground.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:08 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,690 Posts
I've noticed something odd with my OSD, wondering if anyone else has seen it too. When I set "home," my altitude reading zeros out like it should. But, after that, every time I plug it in, the altitude reads 300m and goes up from there. Anyone else experience this? My OSD is buried inside the fuse, so I can't really reset it every time I fly.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:13 PM
It's a job...
Joined May 2012
1,238 Posts
Just a hunch, but I believe the altitude display is taken from GPS and not pressure altitude (barometric pressure).

So given the town you live in, the display is reading correctly according to GPS altitude which is a reference to sea level. Evansville is ~300m above sea level.

I believe you said the altitude was reading zero before. Is it capable of being "zero'd out"? Don't own this yet but I do plan on buying one. I just confirmed with a friend today that you can throw on another gps sensor (10hz) for higher accuracy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:27 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,690 Posts
Quote:

I believe you said the altitude was reading zero before. Is it capable of being "zero'd out"?
Yes, if I press the "home" button, it zeros out at my current altitude, and behaves like an altimeter should, using my "home" location as it's zero reference until it's unplugged. I zeroed it today, but if I go plug in the OSD right now, it will read 300m. While it remembers my location just fine, it does seem to remember my altitude.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:43 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
1,014 Posts
Just like 747 said, when the OSD is first powered up, the altitude displayed defaults to the current GPS location. "home" should be reset every flight to zero the alt to your current location.
greedyg76 is online now Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:23 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
1,014 Posts
Quick to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widelec View Post
will be shipped morning.
ordered on 8/21, just received 9/5 . 2 weeks Turkey to California - Thanks Widelec and BambuCopter!
greedyg76 is online now Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:48 AM
Simple is the best
Joined May 2011
1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyg76 View Post
ordered on 8/21, just received 9/5 . 2 weeks Turkey to California - Thanks Widelec and BambuCopter!

You are welcome

Some oversea package shipped from HK.
Europa package shipped from Turkey
Widelec is offline Find More Posts by Widelec
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:27 PM
It's a job...
Joined May 2012
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman Jeff View Post
Yes, if I press the "home" button, it zeros out at my current altitude, and behaves like an altimeter should, using my "home" location as it's zero reference until it's unplugged. I zeroed it today, but if I go plug in the OSD right now, it will read 300m. While it remembers my location just fine, it does seem to remember my altitude.
Any luck with it the altitude? What does the manual say? How in depth is it?
I just ordered one 3 days ago from JustGoRc (Not sure why) I think I should have gone with Bamboo.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:14 PM
Great Britain
Joined Dec 2008
1,750 Posts
Mine arrived in about 8 days to the UK, I just wired it up and its very straight forward. A couple of questions though.

1) On boot up it states Suppo OSD 2.0, does this mean I dont have the 2.3 version? Also noticed I dont have the option to change between feet & metres which is 2.3 only?

2) I am powering the OSD through the VTX power, the voltage displayed is 11.4v when in fact a multimeter shows the lipo @ 12.4v, the main reason for buying the OSD is to monitor voltage on my quad so I know when to land, why is it so far out?
MrBen. is online now Find More Posts by MrBen.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:19 PM
It's a job...
Joined May 2012
1,238 Posts
From my understanding you would have the 2.0 version. The "big deal" with 2.3 is that you can choose ft.

http://www.suppomodel.com/FPV/OSD.html

So if you made an order for the 2.3 version and have a receipt for it, someone has some explaining to do. What website did you buy yours from?

Sorry can't help you on the voltage thing. Have you tried connecting it this way
Lipo--->OSD---->Vtx. The OSD diagram does show a dedicated +- connection on the OSD
for power in.

What I am having trouble with is understanding this wiring diagram. I believe there is an error. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
But to me it doesn't make sense the way they have drawn and labeled the blue wire between the Vtx and the OSD.

See attached pic.

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 747Pilot; Sep 10, 2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:53 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,690 Posts
Quote:
Sorry can't help you on the voltage thing. Have you tried connecting it this way
Lipo--->OSD---->Vtx. The OSD diagram does show a dedicated +- connection on the OSD
for power in.

What I am having trouble with is understanding this wiring diagram. I believe there is an error. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
But to me it doesn't make sense the way they have drawn and labeled the blue wire between the Vtx and the OSD.

See attached pic.

You are correct, that is a misprint. Somewhere else of their website, it shows the correct wiring. The red should be power, black ground, blue video out(it's yellow on the V2.0)
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:58 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,690 Posts
Quote:
Any luck with it the altitude? What does the manual say? How in depth is it?
I just ordered one 3 days ago from JustGoRc (Not sure why) I think I should have gone with Bamboo.
Manual? Ha! What you see on the website is it. It really is a decent OSD, particularly for what it cost. The altimeter works correctly, it just doesn't remember "home" so if I don't reset home every time, it starts at 300m(my altitude above sea level).