HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2010, 04:31 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Aug 2008
4,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icy_wind500 View Post
But does the 6902 fan really fit into the stock frame? Or do I have to sand it down to fit since it's a 70mm fan
The foam needs to be sized to mate the housing. I've been adding ply rails to mount the shroud, hogging enough foam to ad a mylar thrust tube. I spot dab silicone to aid mounting and dampering.

I typed it wrong in my other post it is a 6904 not 5.
Tom
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:10 AM
Joined Aug 2008
4,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
Hi Apex,
I'm finally getting around to getting the Squall back in the air. Maybe this weekend.
For better efficiency, try the ARC 28-58-1 on 5s (~1500w) or 6s, On 5s you only need an Ice 100 ESC.
We have them as well as the 47-1 and bigger ARCs in stock.
Gary16R
Hey Gary,
Watz new? Building #3 now for sport and speed, TE's all shavable, LE's with carbon rod, thrust tube, rudder. Tweeking the intake some and no glass cept tunnel and no super finish, total sleeper with origional stickers. Hoping for a good speed run for the speed thread! I need to beat 138mph right? At least go past 88mph.
Tom
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2010, 02:38 PM
I added lift to my stable!
Knoxville, TN
Joined Feb 2007
647 Posts
went and ordered Het 6904/2W-20-- What batteries?

I'm pretty sure I've read and re-read this entire thread and now, it's all kind of running together in my head. Hoping someone can make some quick sense of it . . .

I have on order:

3S Squall
VT/TV unit with linkages
Hitec Optima 7 rx (Hitec Aurora TX)
Pentium 100A ESC
Deminsion Engineering SportBEC
HS55 servo(s) all the way around
MorganMill full bellypan and esc fairing http://www.morganmill.com/RC/rc-site-10-7-08_032.htm

and I ust added a HET 6904 and Typhoon 2W-20!

So the questions:

1.) Any links to tutorials on installing the 70mm setup?
2.) Mst guys glassing the entire plane, weak spots or just using WBPU?
3.) Will VT work good with this setup?
4.) with the HET 6904, 2W-20, and a litle added weight (bellypan, esc fairing), what is the best 4S battery to look at? What size/mah?

Thanks

Thanks in advance!
tbird911 is offline Find More Posts by tbird911
Old Aug 11, 2010, 04:43 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,508 Posts
A few things to think of imho. Its a desposable item, don't get too carried away in asthetics cause its gonna get some rash sometime. The main thing is more strength for more speed and power applied. Carbon reinforcement is pretty much the norm unless stock. Strips down the belly and out the wings, maybe the leading edges. Glass if you want too, use .5oz with either wpbu or epoxy. A coat or two of wpbu and lightly sanded between makes a tougher surface using a foam brush. Added weight of a belly pan is up to you, I'll glass with epoxy along with an extra layer at the lip. Installing a diff fan is easy with a piece of pvc pipe wrapped with sandpaper to hog out the foam. You can ad rails to the foam for screws or trim the tabs off the shroud and mount with a thin layer of silicone. Go about things in a methodical manner and it will all turn out clean and neat.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2010, 07:21 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Feb 2007
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
A few things to think of imho. Its a desposable item, don't get too carried away in asthetics cause its gonna get some rash sometime. The main thing is more strength for more speed and power applied. Carbon reinforcement is pretty much the norm unless stock. Strips down the belly and out the wings, maybe the leading edges. Glass if you want too, use .5oz with either wpbu or epoxy. A coat or two of wpbu and lightly sanded between makes a tougher surface using a foam brush. Added weight of a belly pan is up to you, I'll glass with epoxy along with an extra layer at the lip. Installing a diff fan is easy with a piece of pvc pipe wrapped with sandpaper to hog out the foam. You can ad rails to the foam for screws or trim the tabs off the shroud and mount with a thin layer of silicone. Go about things in a methodical manner and it will all turn out clean and neat.
Great advice . . . and much appreciated

Tbird
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:50 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Feb 2007
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird911 View Post
I'm pretty sure I've read and re-read this entire thread and now, it's all kind of running together in my head. Hoping someone can make some quick sense of it . . .

I have on order:

3S Squall
VT/TV unit with linkages
Hitec Optima 7 rx (Hitec Aurora TX)
Pentium 100A ESC
Deminsion Engineering SportBEC
HS55 servo(s) all the way around
MorganMill full bellypan and esc fairing http://www.morganmill.com/RC/rc-site-10-7-08_032.htm

and I ust added a HET 6904 and Typhoon 2W-20!

So the questions:

1.) Any links to tutorials on installing the 70mm setup?
2.) Mst guys glassing the entire plane, weak spots or just using WBPU?
3.) Will VT work good with this setup?
4.) with the HET 6904, 2W-20, and a litle added weight (bellypan, esc fairing), what is the best 4S battery to look at? What size/mah?

Thanks

Thanks in advance!

Ok,

Thanks for the info above . . . .

Last question--

HET 6904, 2W-20 Motor, HET75A ESC w/ external BEC-- What batteries? I know you guys like the XP 3200 batteries, but they seem to be extinct

I buddy of mine pointed me to some 4S3600 30C LIPOS that are 31 x 44 x 134 and weigh 396g. This seems like it might be too heavy and make cg / landing / performance less than desireable. What do you guys suggest? Anyone got a source for the XP 3200(s) ?
Tbird
Old Aug 12, 2010, 02:52 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
If ANYONE is interested....

I have my Squall up for sale, if any of you SD heads want it...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1290401

I really need it gone, it's taking up space in my workshop and it's unhappy, because it doesn't get flown anymore. It's too loud for where I live
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Aug 12, 2010, 05:51 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Hey Gary,
Watz new? Building #3 now for sport and speed, TE's all shavable, LE's with carbon rod, thrust tube, rudder. Tweeking the intake some and no glass cept tunnel and no super finish, total sleeper with origional stickers. Hoping for a good speed run for the speed thread! I need to beat 138mph right? At least go past 88mph.
Tom
Sounds Good Tom. I like the sleeper idea. those stickers will do it for sure.
Yeah I think Glen's speed was about that. Good luck with it.
We never made it to 88....it was 7O something....on 3 clicks of throttle. (then the motor shaft broke at WOT)
No more talk from me until she flies again. We got a little Gaui Tiger Shark that I'm trying to get finished for the weekend to.
ttyl, Gary
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:51 AM
Kuala Lumpur ,Malaysia
Joined Nov 2008
343 Posts
Have already flown my squal with sapac fan and motor MB1 on 4 s 5 s and will try 6s this weekend
Static shows with wattmeter 1865 watts and 95A draw....

Wish me luck!!
bulldog2 is offline Find More Posts by bulldog2
Old Aug 13, 2010, 05:10 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,593 Posts
I am curious if anyone else has noticed that with a 3 cell Squall with the vector thrust unit, if you slow it down into a high alpha mode, you can't get it out of the high alpha mode going WOT. If you wind up too close to the ground, you pretty much have to sort of hover around a little and make a landing nose high, as you don't have the altitude to drop the nose down to gain some speed and it doesn't have enough power to climb up higher. 3 cells doesn't have enough oomph to get it going out of a high alpha slow mode.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:53 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,508 Posts
Quote:
3 cells doesn't have enough oomph to get it going out of a high alpha slow mode.
Thats with the little red stock motor and 5 bladed fan? Might try a tiny heli motor for a 3s hop up or a dons special wind, even an ARC or something.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:59 PM
United States, CA, Mill Valley
Joined Feb 2010
684 Posts
hey all,

I am about to maiden my Dons wicked squall but I have heard some awfull stuff about this machine.

Do most find the CG and control throws as per the instructions to be ok? I found with a recent flight on an EDF that the instructions were asking for way to much aileron throw than was needed.

Also, is it correct to apply some differential aileron to a delta such as the squall,

regards,

DB
drumbum is offline Find More Posts by drumbum
Old Aug 14, 2010, 07:42 AM
Joined Aug 2008
4,508 Posts
They roll like drill bit don't they! Differential aileron? Not really, what benifiet. It doesn't wobble on a roll. Lots of ali expo and some ele expo to smooth it out. Don't bang the sticks its a jet not a plank and should be flown like a jet!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:46 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbum View Post
hey all,

I am about to maiden my Dons wicked squall but I have heard some awfull stuff about this machine.

Do most find the CG and control throws as per the instructions to be ok? I found with a recent flight on an EDF that the instructions were asking for way to much aileron throw than was needed.

Also, is it correct to apply some differential aileron to a delta such as the squall,

regards,

DB
The Phase III instructions are quite good, the CG location worked for me. But mine is a stock 3 cell with stock EDFand a vector thrust unit.
I don't remember really needing any trim on my plane's maiden flight. I just hand launched it and off it went. Built up speed fast and was zipping around nicely. The only thing I found was using the vector thrust unit and low speed high alpha flight modes, in that the stock three cell version doesn't have enough power to get going again. But it is pretty cool making slow hover like landings if you get stuck in that situation.
It does roll like a drill bit spinning in a drill though. Plus with the vector thrust unit, the loops can be super small and tight, almost the length of the plane itself.
You might want to consider dialing in some exponential to make it less sensitive around center on the sticks.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Aug 15, 2010, 09:31 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,508 Posts
Finally getting somewere on #3 more to come
RCG Plus Member