HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2014, 09:31 PM
Australia, VIC, Paynesville
Joined Apr 2007
192 Posts
Discussion
Putting monofilament onto winch drum?

Hi all,

Does anyone have a tip for winding monofilament off a spool and onto a winch drum safely? Using the pedal pulls it off the drum WAY too fast for comfort, and causes birds' nests!

Heard you can power motor with a 12V charger, but mine won't turn it over even when connected direct to motor terminals. Prefer to leave drum on the motor shaft if possible.

Help!

Cam D
camdyson is offline Find More Posts by camdyson
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2014, 09:40 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,315 Posts
I don't know of anyone that winds line from a spool directly on the drum. Why would you want to? Most people will walk a new line out to the turnaround. If you are changing a line, you can tie the old line to the new one and wind the old line onto an empty spool using an electric drill. At the end of the day you can wind the line onto a winch by guiding it with a little friction from a gloved hand.

Hope this helps.
Tom
Kiesling is offline Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:32 PM
Australia, VIC, Paynesville
Joined Apr 2007
192 Posts
Hi Tom,

You're right of course. Reason I ask is that I'm trying to do it at home in the workshop, and was hoping to have it sorted before heading to the field on the weekend.

If there's no easy way then yes, I'll just walk it out when I peg out the turnaround. I've not been in an "all-powered" club the past 20-odd years, and am just getting back into sailplanes, so can't even remember how I did it last time!

Not sure what the poor old club members will make of it when I put the Egida into orbit....

Cheers,

Cam
camdyson is offline Find More Posts by camdyson