Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:24 PM
Joined Sep 2012
48 Posts
Discussion
Tex 650mm A6M Zero!

Hi guys,

I only recently stumbled upon this plane:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a386-21832-zero-arf.html

Anyone familiar with it? It flies on 2 cell 800mah and weights 265g.

Given that it weighs about 100g less than the Airfield version and runs 2c instead of 3c, it should work better in tighter spaces
boro92 is offline Find More Posts by boro92
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:00 PM
Der Schaum-Krieg-Vogel Piloten
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
1,129 Posts
I just ordered the Bf 109 ARF. If you haven't already ordered one from Nitro Planes, use coupon code "Pricepickle" at checkout and get 6% off.

I already have an Eflight Zero 300 in this scale, and love it! It's the perfect size for a smaller field, but has a lot more power than the typical UM. The Zero flies very much like my full size P-47 Thunderbolt. I'm hoping the quality and performance of the Tex plane is as good as the Eflight.

I'll post up a review when it gets here. If you ordered one already, I'd love to hear what you think of it...
FLTRI is online now Find More Posts by FLTRI
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:25 PM
Joined Mar 2013
200 Posts
I would love to know if the Spit and BF109 come with landing gear like the Zero does.
JetLife is offline Find More Posts by JetLife
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:37 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife View Post
I would love to know if the Spit and BF109 come with landing gear like the Zero does.
They do not, at least the Bf-109 doesn't, pretty sure the Spit doesn't either. There are simulated gear in the retracted position moulded into the foam on the bottom of the wings. My field is all grass so I belly land my planes, and I don't care for flying warbirds with the gear down, so it works better for me that way.

So far, I really like the Messerschmitt. It flies much like the Eflight Zero 300, maybe a little more twitchy, and slightly less power. CG is perfect with an 850 Mah battery and an Orange Rx. The detail and paint is as good, maybe better than the Zero too.

The only down side is there are NO spare parts available. Nitro Planes says they are on the way, so hopefully that will change soon...
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:44 PM
Joined Mar 2013
200 Posts
Did the ARF version come with a spare prop? I might order the Zero I really like it. I need some planes to throw the spare Orange Rx's in lol.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:53 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife View Post
Did the ARF version come with a spare prop? I might order the Zero I really like it. I need some planes to throw the spare Orange Rx's in lol.
Yes, it did. Also includes a spare spinner, two spare pushrod clevis, a prop wrench, and a small phillips screwdriver.

That said, the Achilles heel of this plane is the prop. They are very fragile, I've already broken both of mine. Anything less than a dead stick, perfect landing, snaps the blades. I also suspect that the difference in power over the Eflight Zero I'm seeing is due to the 3-blade prop. I have some two blade props coming, so hopefully this will perk her up a bit, and be more resilient.

I'd buy this plane again though. The Eflight Zero was $150 so for the price, size and general overall quality, it's a pretty good deal.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:59 PM
Joined Mar 2013
200 Posts
I am probably going to order it. Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:32 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,129 Posts
Very cool, I think you will like it. Once it gets here, post up your thought and impressions on the Zero. I'm pondering adding the Spit to my hanger.

Oh, and use the code I posted above for the discount, hopefully it's still valid...
Old Apr 10, 2013, 05:34 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2007
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTRI View Post
Very cool, I think you will like it. Once it gets here, post up your thought and impressions on the Zero. I'm pondering adding the Spit to my hanger.

Oh, and use the code I posted above for the discount, hopefully it's still valid...
The Spit may got 15g of ballast in it's nose (if it's Kyosho aiRium copy).
Got the Spit., Bf.109, P-40, F-4U, Ju-87 this size. Bf.109 and F-4U
best planes. The Spit (without ballast something in between). The
worst P-40 and Ju-87 (HK).

The F-4U got landing gear too like the Zero, I suggest forget them.

The prop problem, I use 3 blade GWS 8040 and Haoye 2 blade 8x4SF.
Only the P-40 got Haoye 2 blade 7x5SF. Cut adapter from old broken
GWS prop. E-flite also got a 2 blade 8x6 (no adapter needed).
Many other props may be used, expect to make a adapter.
The stock 3 blade is mostly for display.
FLOEY is offline Find More Posts by FLOEY
Old Jun 14, 2013, 04:03 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,129 Posts
Thought I'd revive this thread and give an update on this line of Tex planes. I've had the Messerschmitt for about three months now, and would guess I have 50-60 flights on it now. I'm using an Orange R615 Rx, Spectrum DX7 Rx, and have half a dozen 850 mah batteries from HK. I have my timer set for 8 minutes, which leaves me plenty in reserve.

Overall, I am very impressed with this plane. I use it as a step up from the Ultra Micros. It's just enough bigger to be able handle light wind that would ground an UM. It is still light enough to bounce around a bit in a breeze, but doesn't get blown away like the smaller planes would. In calm conditions, it tracks like it's on rails. It's still small enough to fly in a large soccer field, like an UM. I don't have to trek to a dedicated RC field to get some stick time.

I fly scale as much as possible, and it'll do great scale maneuvers at about 3/4 throttle. Go to WOT and let it gain some airspeed, and it'll do graceful loops from level flight. It rolls nicely as well, and just doesn't have any bad habits. Of course, you have to feed in a little up elevator to keep from loosing altitude in banking turns.

I fly at 70% dual rates and 20% expo on all control surfaces. I also have aileron/rudder mix at 20%. I leave it here for the entire flight, and go to 100/100 at landing, as I bleed off airspeed and flare for landing. I consider myself as a intermediate pilot, just barely above beginner.

It's had a few crashes. I've broken the wing twice and the fuselage once. All of the bad crashes have been dumb thumb, loss of orientation scenarios. The depron foam it's built from is stiffer that EPP, but is still pretty resilient.

The stock three blade prop is cool looking, but ridiculously fragile. Even a zero throttle, a perfect landing will snap a blade. I gave up on replacing them and went to an 7X6 two blade. I cut another notch in the stock spinner, and filled in the two other notches with scrap foam. Took a sharpie to it, it looks okay, and flies well. Maybe better than with the 3-blade, less torque on hand launch.

The finish and detail on this plane is beautiful. It's has a nice smooth finish, great details including panel likes, rivets, and lots of detailed decals. It's missing the swastika on the tail, but a printed a few and glued them on to keep it period correct.

For the record, this is a re-pop of the Kyosho line. I found a Kyosho Bf-109 on line and bought it. It's the exact same plane, just slightly different paint job.

Overall, I would wholeheartedly recommend this little plane. Initially, Nitroplanes had no spare parts available, so that was my only complaint. They got them in stock today, I have a new wing on the way, so that problem is solved. They're on sale right now for $67.00 which is a heck of a bargain. If you are on the fence with this plane, or it's sister Zero & Spitfire, I'd jump on it. Enter PRICEPICKLE at the Nitroplanes website for an additional 6% off.

No association with Nitro, just a happy customer...

Old Jun 15, 2013, 03:55 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2007
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTRI View Post
Nitroplanes ...They're on sale right now for $67.00 which is a heck of a bargain.
$67 is a good price but UPS international charge additional $139 for delivery and add to that local 25% VAT!

UPS

I would realy like to have the Zero. I got the Spitfire, 109, F-4U, P-40 and
the HK Stuka in this size. There is also a FW-190, P-51 and P-47 sold in Germany under the brand name HYPE (Kyosho alias)

http://www.hype-rc.de/eng/shop/cat/m.../warbirds.html

Art-tech has also aline of "200 class" planes
http://www.art-tech.cn/english/Artic...?ArticleID=340
FLOEY is offline Find More Posts by FLOEY
Last edited by FLOEY; Jun 15, 2013 at 04:05 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 10:40 AM
Joined Apr 2013
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOEY View Post
$67 is a good price but UPS international charge additional $139 for delivery and add to that local 25% VAT!

UPS

I would realy like to have the Zero. I got the Spitfire, 109, F-4U, P-40 and
the HK Stuka in this size. There is also a FW-190, P-51 and P-47 sold in Germany under the brand name HYPE (Kyosho alias)

http://www.hype-rc.de/eng/shop/cat/m.../warbirds.html

Art-tech has also aline of "200 class" planes
http://www.art-tech.cn/english/Artic...?ArticleID=340
Why is that German site you linked written in English? lol

I just ordered the BF109 from NP and paid an insane shipping charge.
Hope it will be worth it.
Now ill have to go to Hobbyking to find a couple batteries and receiver.
mattman0182 is offline Find More Posts by mattman0182
Old Jun 15, 2013, 03:01 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,129 Posts
How much was shipping? I think I paid $13.00 when I ordered mine...
Old Jun 15, 2013, 03:04 PM
Joined Apr 2013
134 Posts
36 bucks
mattman0182 is offline Find More Posts by mattman0182
Old Jun 15, 2013, 05:21 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,129 Posts
Yikes! I've read the complaints about high shipping with NP, but mine has always been reasonable. I did, however, pay $10.00 for the wing and a couple of spinners to be shipped.

Still, right at $100 for the plane and shipping aren't too bad I guess. I hope you like it when it arrives...