SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:40 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Yeah I know Ray but I couldn't find a position I was happy with so I just made what 99 percent of people who see my ship will expect them to look like. I tried to be as historically accurate as I could on my HMS Beagle, but the Theresa Marie is just a fantasy/fun build not an accurate recreation. Thanks for the info though.
Jpop Andrew is offline Find More Posts by Jpop Andrew
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2013, 09:40 AM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Week 64: Caps, Ladders, Bell

Lower masts. I used a small amount of epoxy to hold the lower masts and mast step plates in place, using the tops as a guide to get the right rake for the main mast. Shouldn't be too hard to pry it off in the inconceivable event I need to remove them.

Caps and eyehooks. I added the caps for connecting the masts to each other and started screwing in the many eyehooks for the masts and spars. I'll take Ray and Dan's advice and put the extra long connecting rods on the spars instead of the masts and attach a washer onto each rod to keep the masts level. Good to have such a wealth of experience to draw from.

Ladders. Next I assembled and painted the ladders for the forecastle and poop deck. I had to remove one rung for the forecastle ladder and add one for the raised poop to make them fit, a happy little serendipity. Both ladders were reinforced at the back and pinned to the removable decks.

Meow. I bought a pair of "see no evil, speak no evil" cat pins potentially for the ends of the catheads. It didn't look quite right there so I added them to the sides of the bulwarks underneath the poop overhang to guard the Captain's cabin. More ginger work for kids of all ages to discover onboard.

Ship's Bell. I opted for the Liberty Bell we bought while at the Liberty Museum in Philly. Seemed appropriate -- with the cracked side hanging in the back of course, hung under the poop deck overhang. Arr, she be a patriotic ship. Speaking of which...

Veteran's Day Naming. In honor of a former sailor and now deceased brother of the real Papaw, Able Seaman Sam has been added to the crew of the Theresa Marie. I fashioned some mugs and a jug so they can forever be drinking and toasting onboard with Old Glory flying high overhead.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 10:33 PM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Week 65: Cannons, Crew, Door

Cannons. I didn't like the results of my own attempt at making new wheels so I decided to keep the unpopular rubber ones. After some paint, superglue and copper tape the non-award-winning 18 long guns got pinned to the decks, along with the two carronades generously donated by Tim. Glad that's finally done. I put those carriages together 14 months ago! Next step will be some simplified blocks and tackle.

Theresa Maries. With the cannons finally in place I finalized the location for the 22 action figures that made the cut. The 19 for the main deck got pinned in place. Hopefully one pin per figure will be enough to keep everyone onboard. The two top men and Lieutenant Dan will be in the masts somewhere.

They are organized into seven scenes of life onboard a brig, many of which are named after real people. Roll call please...

Captain, Shipwright Marty (from Pirates of the Caribbean movie), the Countess Theresa (the Namesake of the ship) and handmaiden Betty (niece's friend) discuss the weather from the Quarterdeck.

Midshipman Knotbob, the incognito Alice Williams, (niece) reporting to the Captain for navigation class -- well after I make a tiny sextant anyway.

Master Gunner Bowman (Captain Tim of the Scorpion), Able Seaman Ray (Paratrooper of the Surprise), "Skipper" (from Gilligan's Island) and Unnamed #1 working a cannon.

Bosun Papaw (Wolves of the 7 Seas) and Able Seaman Sam (his brother) having a few drinks.

Astrid (niece) and Unnamed #2 and #3 working some rope on deck, with Unnamed #4 and Unnamed #5 preparing to trim some sail in the tops.

Carpenter Carl (friend) and Carpenter's Mate Lila (sister) fixing something.

Cabin girl Sara (niece), Powder Monkey Anna (niece) and Trevor (cousin) tending to the ship's prize lambs.

Lieutenant Dan (Captain of the Syren) on tops, scanning the horizon for pirates to take as a bounty.

So total visible crew: Captain, Lieutenant, Gunner, Shipwright (and sailing master), Bosun, Midshipman, Carpenter, Carpenter's Mate, 1 dignitary with attendant, 9 seamen/women, and 3 boys/girls. Arrr.. she be a female friendly brig-of-war.

Captain's cabin door. I made a simple door and painted the wall caramel. I'll add more details later. Good enough for now.

Lucky Charm. As a little shout out to my parents I added a pair of four leaf clovers for the ends of the catheads.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:22 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Hi Andrew

Looks great! That's quite the crew to manage. Thanks for making my namesake part of it.

kind regards
Tim
TBowman is offline Find More Posts by TBowman
Old Feb 05, 2014, 03:23 PM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Week 75: Chains

After a lengthy break from the Theresa Marie...

Twins. After modifying their bases both of my mermaids were pinned onto the main rail.

Anchors. I was finally able to figure out a position for the anchors that didn't block anything. So I remade them perpendicular and pinned them in place.

Chains. A real pain in the butt and the cause of much procrastination and delay. I finished the eight for the starboard shrouds anyway. 20 more to go. Here's why it takes so long to 1) figure out 2) actually do.

You have to cut brass wire, bend them around plastic blocks, secure them in place with heat shrink and a soldering gun, hammer the ends flat, drill holes for screws, paint or color them with a marker, scrape paint off the hull, superglue the flat ends in place, screw holes through hull and epoxy screws in place, epoxy exposed screws inside hull to ensure water tightness, touch up with more epoxy and finish painting.

Next you need to secure with line to the other block that will then secure the standing rigging to the mast with an adjustable bowsie or something.

Several builders reported having some of their chains come off while sailing so I've secured them way more than I probably would have otherwise.

On a personal note, I used my dad's old hammer and my father-in-law's old sledgehammer (as an anvil) for flattening the brass wire.
Last edited by Jpop Andrew; Feb 06, 2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2014, 08:51 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
Hey Andrew,
Nice to see you back! Yep, the chains and ratlines are probably the most tedious parts of the build. But you're well on the way with them.
Lt. Dan in the top? Yikes - I really hate height!
Best.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Feb 06, 2014, 07:34 PM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Yep..good to see you Andrew!

Just when I was getting the courage up to mass produce the chains for my model, I saw your post. LOL

Kind regards
Tim
Old Feb 06, 2014, 08:21 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,413 Posts
Looks Great Andrew. I like the vignettes, each group tells a story, Well Done.

Re "non-award winning cannons" - as the builder, you will know every flaw intimately. But your viewers won't, they will think it's all neat as can be. And, I bet, a couple months after you complete the ship, the flaws will fade a bit in your mind too. Also, a scale model is always under construction, if you want it to be that way. So, a long winter's month next year can be spent, if you feel like it, improving something. At any rate, I think what you have done is very cool.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Feb 14, 2014, 06:20 PM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Week 77: Binnacle, more chains

More chains. Cranked out another 12 chains and glued/screwed them in place. It gets faster the more you make. I'll need to do some detail touchups later, but good for now. Next step will be connecting the other blocks with line and start on the standing rigging.

Binnacle. About fifteen years ago my wife won a "Berber Woman" makeup kit while we were visiting Morocco on a cruise. One of its wooden components ended up being modified to be the Theresa Marie's binnacle.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 08:09 PM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Looks good Andrew!

kind regards
Tim