HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:45 PM
Russian Federation, Voronezhskaya oblast, Voronezh
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
I think they are too big. SFGs makes plane more sensative to wind. If you use smaller one you'll have the same effect but with less sensitivity to weather conditions.
AlexGold is offline Find More Posts by AlexGold
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:33 PM
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Sep 2012
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
testing out my hatcam this afternoon, wish my little camera had the ability to turn off auto-focus, I still love this plane
https://vimeo.com/50336763
nice flyen man
teddy5085 is offline Find More Posts by teddy5085
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:40 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Throttle cut or not, I had a fun weekend with the Edge. It really is a great "jumping board." Each day with it makes you into a better pilot. New this weekend: a wall into a hover. Very dramatic and impressive looking.. . There is just something so satisfying about pulling hard on the controls like that.
Got a handle on KE as well. The key (for me at least) was to make sure I am at a little up incline which helped to plant the nose higher up. The funny thing is, coupling was so hornedness that it was actually doing KE circles around unintentionally (which really made it seems like I knew what I was doing ). I am assuming it is becuase I am still flying with sport CG. Time to move it back further. Making the pull pull wire tighter cured wing rock completely. Elevators are rock solid. Got a few decent harriers but only if I add throttle ever so slightly. I guess you guys develop muscle memory for it.
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:50 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Oh no he didn't

Finally bumped into someone in the field that actually knew who 3dhs is. He has the SHP (which he is not flying these days). He came to look at the Edge which he never seen before. He was curious about the LG and asked why its like that and I explained the motivation. He said it is ugly . I mean would you ever tell someone their Plane (or part of it is ugly)? So I stepped on his wing..

Kidding, but I wanted to...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:56 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
Throttle cut or not, I had a fun weekend with the Edge. It really is a great "jumping board." Each day with it makes you into a better pilot. New this weekend: a wall into a hover. Very dramatic and impressive looking.. . There is just something so satisfying about pulling hard on the controls like that.
Got a handle on KE as well. The key (for me at least) was to make sure I am at a little up incline which helped to plant the nose higher up. The funny thing is, coupling was so hornedness that it was actually doing KE circles around unintentionally (which really made it seems like I knew what I was doing ). I am assuming it is becuase I am still flying with sport CG. Time to move it back further. Making the pull pull wire tighter cured wing rock completely. Elevators are rock solid. Got a few decent harriers but only if I add throttle ever so slightly. I guess you guys develop muscle memory for it.
Actually - if you've got some coupling in KE flight (especially enough to make it do tight circuits without you doing anything) then you're CG is off. It will have zero coupling (or close to it... I think I have a very slight rudder to elevator mix on my model to get rid of a tiny bit of coupling) when your CG is neutral.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:01 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy5085 View Post
nice flyen man
thanks, had this out again this weekend, probably the plane I'm most comfortable flying.

And I agree with Turnerm, I have almost no mix on this and it will just about KE straight down the runway with your thumb on the throttle/rudder stick only
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:40 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
But presumably this is when the plane is balanced for 3D flying at 90mm.
I was still flying with sport CG at 80mm. So I am assuming it is not that it was off per-se but rather that it is just not balanced at the right spot (I guess you can say off for 3D flying...)
That is, if I balance it at 90mm coupling will go away..
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:44 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,981 Posts
I ran mine at 85 mm, and had just a degree or two of elevator, and a degree or two of aileron to mix out. If it's doing circuits, sounds like the cg is WAY out.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:09 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Ok, I guess it is sensible to go from 80 to 85 first and try that before jumping to 90... Thanks...
Hey, I was just following the instructions in the manual... It said 80 for sport flying and 90 for 3D, so being first balsa and all i wanted to start conservative...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:16 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
United States, OH, Bristolville
Joined Oct 2010
4,713 Posts
Name: IMG_3149.jpg
Views: 79
Size: 188.8 KB
Description: my edge just chilling out.

A pic of my edge just being lazy and relaxing from my abuse.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:16 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,981 Posts
It's all personal preference. To be honest, my cg probably varies 5 mm from pack to pack, as I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the marks any more when I change the batteries out. In the initial setup, I tried 90 mm exactly, and it had a lot of wing rock there, but our setups are a little different I'm sure.

I picked up some servos for the Edge yesterday, so now all I need to get are a motor and ESC to get it in the air again.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:43 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
Attachment 5214181

A pic of my edge just being lazy and relaxing from my abuse.
You landed it there right?

Thanks Quad. You are right. It doesn't have to be scientific.. I'll just move the packs back until most of the coupling goes away...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:11 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
United States, OH, Bristolville
Joined Oct 2010
4,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
You landed it there right?

Thanks Quad. You are right. It doesn't have to be scientific.. I'll just move the packs back until most of the coupling goes away...
No, I thought if I stuck it up there it would make a good pic.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:25 PM
Landing, HEY, I got it!!!!!
U.S.A. Celina, TX
Joined Oct 2010
838 Posts
Hey Guys,

Beside the Torque 2814-820, What are the common motor options for the Edge? I waited until 3DHS was out of stock on the Omegas. I'd like to stay pretty close to 130 grams if that's possible.

Thanks,

Jeff
jcfab is offline Find More Posts by jcfab
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:38 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfab View Post
Hey Guys,

Beside the Torque 2814-820, What are the common motor options for the Edge? I waited until 3DHS was out of stock on the Omegas. I'd like to stay pretty close to 130 grams if that's possible.

Thanks,

Jeff
Motrofly 2815!
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm