HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:11 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
SDSURFnGLIDE's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchase View Post
Be careful, it won't ever let you change it again if you name it that!
i know right...cause he is alive!!
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:23 PM
13brv3's Avatar
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,845 Posts
LOL! It's kinda creepy now though

Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:45 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
SDSURFnGLIDE's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post
LOL! It's kinda creepy now though

Rusty
ehh...gives it character...im processing some video from it now...ill post it here...i filmed in 1080-60 on my gph2 and i have very little jello....using your camera mount rings with the isolators and the then i have 4 extra rubber stoppers that i installed as well seems to work pretty well...

the props and motors probably arent balanced...if i take the time to do that i may be able to get rid of all the jello....but this was mainly a test for the new fc.

EDIT: here is the video i was talking about

first stable flight of the MWC 2.0 FC quad (1 min 28 sec)
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Last edited by SDSURFnGLIDE; Jan 29, 2013 at 12:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:52 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2008
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post
I still this is the coolest variation I've seen from a customer! I just love it, and with all the FPV style frames out there now, I'm thinking of making this as an actual product. A single center tube would work fine for small copters, but maybe two central tubes would be used for larger copters.

Very cool

Rusty
Hi, thanks I am glad you like it, I think I way have some vid of it flying, I will post something in a few days.

I would love to see a product that would utilize the double width clamps in a T configuration. I will send you a photo of the way I have it set up atm.

I have tried double boom, it flexed/warped was hard to keep aligned, it hits the ground HARD a lot.
The longest I have done is 45cm as a central boom . It was still stiff and no flex.

EDIT:
I had a look at the vid i have from yesterday, faulty motor caused 3 crashes, the third is very bad and shows a full force, awkward angle crash, the only thing broken is 3 props.

i also have a few picks that are uploading now, i will link the pix and vid once they are uploaded.

EDIT 2:

here is a link to the pix
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1bczkma7vi10jwy/gZlTEbODQm

and a link to some minor crashes
iCopter Crash's (2 min 24 sec)
dogz85 is online now Find More Posts by dogz85
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dogz85; Jan 30, 2013 at 05:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:18 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
Today I assembled the UAP1 frame in hexa setup, but the question is what are the best dementions and props sizes.
I want to use NTI 750KV motors , F30A hobbyking ESC with simonk firmware.
The motor to motor distance is now 75cm ( 29,5 Inch ) , the prop size I want to use is 11x4,7
Will this setup work ?! or do I need to reduce or increase the frame size or props sizes
pascalw is offline Find More Posts by pascalw
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:22 AM
Registered User
janoots2's Avatar
Joined Jan 2012
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pascalw View Post
Today I assembled the UAP1 frame in hexa setup, but the question is what are the best dementions and props sizes.
I want to use NTI 750KV motors , F30A hobbyking ESC with simonk firmware.
The motor to motor distance is now 75cm ( 29,5 Inch ) , the prop size I want to use is 11x4,7
Will this setup work ?! or do I need to reduce or increase the frame size or props sizes
What flight controller are you using?
janoots2 is offline Find More Posts by janoots2
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:15 AM
Registered User
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
611 Posts
What size motors are you using and are you flying with 3s or 4s batteries?

Unfortunately I don't think there is a best size, it depends on your needs. I prefer a smaller copter and have mine about as small as I think it can be and still handle my camera, which is about 25.5" mtm, using 13" booms. With 11x4.7 props this gives me about 2" of space between props which is probably a little narrow but so far is working ok. I am already thinking about extending my booms a few more inches in the future so that I can use larger motors / props, but I don't know when that will happen, and I am sure I won't go past 30" MTM. I think I remember reading Rusty or Hansen say that for an AP rig between 25" - 28" was a good range for MTM distances, but I'm not sure if that was for any copter or specifically for a quad or hexa. So you are pretty close with your current size, and I know there are plenty of people flying with larger MTM distances who are happy with their copters. I started off with a much larger copter (it was about 34" MTM) and it flew pretty well and was really easy to see from a distance, but it was so big that I had a hard time getting it through my narrow hallways or into my smallish car.
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:15 AM
Chris Lee
United States, MO, St. Louis
Joined Oct 2005
326 Posts
Anti-Vibration Motor Mounts

Why does Rusty's Anti-Vibration Motor Mounts come with those nylon spacers?

Is it just to clear the bolt attaching the motor mount to the arm, or does it actually serve a purpose in vibration dampening? Can the cross-piece of the motor just be attached directly to the top half of the grommet?
lineofsight is offline Find More Posts by lineofsight
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:57 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Pretty sure it's for clearance. Spacer + washer also spreads the load a bit more evenly across the grommet, but you could probably just use the washer. It would be close to the attachment bolts
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:53 AM
Registered User
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofsight View Post
Why does Rusty's Anti-Vibration Motor Mounts come with those nylon spacers?

Is it just to clear the bolt attaching the motor mount to the arm, or does it actually serve a purpose in vibration dampening? Can the cross-piece of the motor just be attached directly to the top half of the grommet?
Rusty's anti vibration motor mounts comes with three types of nylon items.

1) The big round and fly nylon washers. They go on the top and bottom of the grommet to spread the load.

2) The skinny round tube like nylon insert. They are necessary to go inside the hole of the grommet. That is to prevent the grommet from getting smashed by the bolt.

3) The 1/4" O.D. 1/4" tall nylon spacers. Those are to lift the motor and cross piece away from the motor mounting plate in case the bottom of the motor is hitting the plate for some reason. You don't need to use these if the motor is not hitting.

I actually use them to space the cross piece from my pancake motor so I can fit a nut there.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:55 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
To motor mount or not to motor mount?

Are the anti-vibration motor mounts something to be used only if I'm noticing vibration in my videos but otherwise don't bother or is there some benefit to using them regardless of the situation? In other words, will they necessarily improve flight or is there any sort of downside?

My video is pretty darn stable but I'm always game for improvements of any kind.
dcoplan is offline Find More Posts by dcoplan
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:01 AM
13brv3's Avatar
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofsight View Post
Why does Rusty's Anti-Vibration Motor Mounts come with those nylon spacers?

Is it just to clear the bolt attaching the motor mount to the arm, or does it actually serve a purpose in vibration dampening? Can the cross-piece of the motor just be attached directly to the top half of the grommet?
Correct that the spacers are required to clear the block screws. The more distance you can put between your prop and the arm tubes the better as far as prop induced vibration goes, but 1/4" won't even be noticeable.

The round washers will spread the load over the entire grommet better than the arms of the motor mount will, but there's no harm in trying it without the washer.

Cheers,
Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:07 AM
13brv3's Avatar
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoplan View Post
Are the anti-vibration motor mounts something to be used only if I'm noticing vibration in my videos but otherwise don't bother or is there some benefit to using them regardless of the situation? In other words, will they necessarily improve flight or is there any sort of downside?

My video is pretty darn stable but I'm always game for improvements of any kind.
No one will have a definitive answer for that question. The grommet mounts absolutely reduce vibration, but the more important question is whether that vibration is causing you problems. Some FC boards are more sensitive to vibration than others, and your camera dampers may or may not be taking all of it out of the video.

In theory, the motors can tilt slightly in maneuvering, so they could cause some issues with flight control. There's a very dedicated group of people who claim terrible things will happy, but I've never seen it, and I've never read an account from anyone else who's seen a negative effect from the grommets. I probably wouldn't put them on a sport aerobatic copter, but I do use them on all copters that will get an AP camera.

Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:55 AM
Registered User
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
611 Posts
What convinced me to buy the anti-seismic motor mounts was when some one else posted that they had thrown unbalanced props on their copter and still had vibration free flights. I have a full set of props balanced pretty well and while I don't mind doing it, I certainly wouldn't mind NOT having to do it!

Another reason is something that I don't know if it will hold true or not. I have been using 30 durometer hemispheres for my gimbal isolation which work pretty well for absorbing vibrations, but because they are so soft they have some give to them (the plates have just a bit of sway) that can show up in high winds or quicker copter movements. My hope is that adding the anti-vibration motor mounts will cut down the initial vibes going through the copter enough that I can use some stiffer isolators on the gimbal, which would help keep it from having any sway. And yes, I'm considering a pug bar as well.

PS. Now you tell me what the smaller spacers are for!
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:50 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchase View Post
What size motors are you using and are you flying with 3s or 4s batteries?

Unfortunately I don't think there is a best size, it depends on your needs. I prefer a smaller copter and have mine about as small as I think it can be and still handle my camera, which is about 25.5" mtm, using 13" booms. With 11x4.7 props this gives me about 2" of space between props which is probably a little narrow but so far is working ok. I am already thinking about extending my booms a few more inches in the future so that I can use larger motors / props, but I don't know when that will happen, and I am sure I won't go past 30" MTM. I think I remember reading Rusty or Hansen say that for an AP rig between 25" - 28" was a good range for MTM distances, but I'm not sure if that was for any copter or specifically for a quad or hexa. So you are pretty close with your current size, and I know there are plenty of people flying with larger MTM distances who are happy with their copters. I started off with a much larger copter (it was about 34" MTM) and it flew pretty well and was really easy to see from a distance, but it was so big that I had a hard time getting it through my narrow hallways or into my smallish car.
I want to use my DJI naza controller on 4S , 4S is the max for the F30A ESC.

So it will be try and error......
pascalw is offline Find More Posts by pascalw
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Rusty's Rev-8 Frame Kit 13brv3 Multirotor Talk 18 Feb 24, 2011 03:10 PM
New Product Rusty's Cheap DIY Frame Parts 13brv3 Multirotor Talk 22 Dec 05, 2010 01:16 AM
Alert SOLD- Quadcopter-ARF-Rusty's Rev-7 frame, QP FC board, + extras - US $300 shipped Mactadpole Multirotor Talk 3 Oct 12, 2010 11:16 PM
Sold Quadcopter-ARF-Rusty's Rev-7 frame, Quadpowered FC board, + extras - US $300 shipped Mactadpole Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 2 Oct 12, 2010 02:23 PM
Question What Landing Gear for Rusty's Frame? (Or any frame) Canadian Geek Multirotor Talk 16 Aug 05, 2010 03:30 PM