Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:28 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strassenkater View Post
Thanks for your answer!

So does this mean WITH further work like heatsinks and ventholes it's possible?

If not, would an esc like the XP-12A be an alternative?
And where on the board is the solder point to get a clear signal?

Did the problems with OTC and OCP happen to everyone after some time?
Or are there at least a few flying 3S for a longer time without problems, so it's worth a try?

(Sorry for my stupid questions, but i'm just at page 918 of 1083 at the moment, but i try hard to catch up!)
Quite a few of us have been running 3s on the factory Beast 3D electronics for hundreds of flights with no problems at all - even without heatsinks or extra cooling holes. Some bricks are more tolerant than others. Before flying, be sure the prop is balanced really well. Do a brief 5-10 sec static test @ WOT while wiggling the sticks to check things out. If it handles that, you should be OK, but take it easy on the throttle during takeoff & be sure to get enough altitude for a deadstick before going WOT - just in case. If the motor cuts out, immediately cut the throttle, drop the nose, and wait for a few seconds before smoothly getting back into the throttle. That's usually enough to restore power to the motor. Speaking of deadsticks, the Beast glides slightly better than the average brick. Deadsticking the Beast is similar to deadsticking a heli. Or the Space Shuttle. You get one shot. You can't stretch the glide, because there is no glide to stretch. If you have to deadstick, point the nose at the deck & keep it there until it's time to flare.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:06 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
After reading the other thread, i plan to use a 3S setup with the stock 2500KV, 5030 and 3S180.

Important questions:
Is it still true, that no one reported a toasted brick?

And is it true, that the problems with OTP can be solved with heatsinks and thermal adhesive?
Or are there cases of OTP reported even though heatsinks were used?
There was one reported failure, and even that one was on a questionable board... Statistically speaking it is very safe. However it is still at your own risk.

I'd say that 90% of the cutouts on 3S, if they were occurring, are fixed by adding a heatsink to the FETs and the VR on the brick. I added a very tiny scoop to the bottom of the plane where the aileron wires go through.

Quote:
If not, would an esc like the XP-12A be an alternative?
And where on the board is the solder point to get a clear signal?

Did the problems with OTC and OCP happen to everyone after some time?
Or are there at least a few flying 3S for a longer time without problems, so it's worth a try?
xp-12 ESC would be a great choice if needed, however most people haven't needed it.
Here is a video of how to add the XP-12A: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=801

Some people have 0 problems ever when running 3S. some bricks are just more sensitive than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Speaking of deadsticks, the Beast glides slightly better than the average brick. Deadsticking the Beast is similar to deadsticking a heli. Or the Space Shuttle. You get one shot. You can't stretch the glide, because there is no glide to stretch. If you have to deadstick, point the nose at the deck & keep it there until it's time to flare.

Joel
Let me fix this:
The Beast glides slightly worse than the average brick. Deadsticking the Beast is much harder than deadsticking a heli.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:18 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
The Beast glides slightly worse than the average brick. Deadsticking the Beast is much harder than deadsticking a heli.

-Brian
You think he's kidding, right? I have successfully auto-rotated a heli in a panic situation. I have never been able to do anything but a face-plant in a power-off situation with the Beast. You need better timing than I've got! If you pull out of the required vertical descent too soon or too late it just doesn't work. That's assuming you have time to get the nose down and speed up in the first place!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:51 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,236 Posts
Is this a WWU video competition? Dead sticking the Beast?
Standard is at least six seconds of complete throttle off.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:00 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
You think he's kidding, right? I have successfully auto-rotated a heli in a panic situation. I have never been able to do anything but a face-plant in a power-off situation with the Beast. You need better timing than I've got! If you pull out of the required vertical descent too soon or too late it just doesn't work. That's assuming you have time to get the nose down and speed up in the first place!
lol no I know he wasn't kidding, I was serious when I said I was fixing it!!

I've had to deadstick the B3D a half dozen times before I got those heatsinks from you. I think the B3D has a 1:5 glide ratio on a good day. I lost power about 15 ft above a pine and it was all I could do to avoid putting it in the tree on the way down just because of the slope of a typical pine!!

and yeah the flare has to be timed perfect, I used to just aim for a tiny bit early so that I'd get a less than graceful plop onto the gear and probably a nose over. It was better than taking it square on the chin!

-Brian
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:06 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Is this a WWU video competition? Dead sticking the Beast?
Standard is at least six seconds of complete throttle off.
You aren't happy with just taking my Sbach and my Mig -- now you bloodsuckers want my wee Beastie, too?

tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:07 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8,059 Posts
Quote:
lol no I know he wasn't kidding, I was serious when I said I was fixing it!!

I've had to deadstick the B3D a half dozen times before I got those heatsinks from you. I think the B3D has a 1:5 glide ratio on a good day. I lost power about 15 ft above a pine and it was all I could do to avoid putting it in the tree on the way down just because of the slope of a typical pine!!

and yeah the flare has to be timed perfect, I used to just aim for a tiny bit early so that I'd get a less than graceful plop onto the gear and probably a nose over. It was better than taking it square on the chin!

-Brian
I see how you misunderstood. The "you" in my post was any reader of your post. The "he" in my post was you, kalmon. I know that you know that he wasn't kidding. I was saying it was you who weren't kidding. Clear as mud? Who's on first? Har...
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:57 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
I see how you misunderstood. The "you" in my post was any reader of your post. The "he" in my post was you, kalmon. I know that you know that he wasn't kidding. I was saying it was you who weren't kidding. Clear as mud? Who's on first? Har...
what?..... no What's on second!

-Brian
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:26 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,468 Posts
LOL!

All I can say is.....

What's our vector, Victor? (0 min 27 sec)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:25 PM
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Wuppertal
Joined Apr 2011
216 Posts
Because i wasn't sure until now if 2S or 3S i've only got one 2S180 lipo.
But i did maiden the beast a few days ago in front of my house.
It's really funny, the beast seems to be the only plane which is adapted for practicing autorotation.

I will try 3S.
Ordered lipos, heatsinks, thermal adhesive and some other stuff like connectors and wire.

In case the brick in my beast doesn't like the 3S:
What's the max current at WOT on a 3S setup with 2500KV and 5030?
Not over 6 Ampere?
If so, the turnigy plush 6A might be interesting.
It's very light.

Operating the esc will be easy:
There is a connector on the brick for channel 5.
I programmed a mixer in my tx from channel 1 to 5 and checked it with a another servo, it's working.
So flashing of the esc would be unnecessary.
Strassenkater is offline Find More Posts by Strassenkater
Last edited by Strassenkater; Feb 05, 2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:29 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
LOL!

All I can say is.....

Joel
Thanks... love that movie. Had me laughing out loud. Whoever the director was, he was great!
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:55 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
I was the Directr!

Roger...Roger.

Roger
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCBABBEL; Feb 05, 2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:24 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,465 Posts
Quote:
Thanks... love that movie. Had me laughing out loud. Whoever the director was, he was great!
I posted a picture of Johnny holding the plug (after killing the landing lights on the runway) on Facebook, during the power outage of the Super Bowl. What a great flick!
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:37 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
I posted a picture of Johnny holding the plug (after killing the landing lights on the runway) on Facebook, during the power outage of the Super Bowl. What a great flick!
Did you photoshop in a 49ers hat?

-Brian
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:38 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,465 Posts
Quote:
Did you photoshop in a 49ers hat?

-Brian