New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2016, 01:49 PM
Find More Posts by apilgrim
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Apr 2006
96 Posts
Discussion
Single Channel Glider .020

Acquired this plane early last year. Came with, I believe is an Ace Pulse Commander RX and an Adams Actuator. Unfortunately I could not use this system because I dont have the corresponding TX, BTW looking for one. What I did is install a modern servo but still use the yoke rudder system. For comparison the plane total weight with Ace RX and actuator = 278 grams.
With Hitec RX and 10 gram servo =260 grams. Both planes were weigh w/o batt.
I am not sure about the identity of the plane, I was told it is a Nomad?
Wingspan = 47", Length = 28". Question Does the Cox .020 has enough oomph to carry this plane.
apilgrim is offline Find More Posts by apilgrim
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2016, 02:07 PM
Find More Posts by GeeW
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,541 Posts
Almost certainly a Ted Strader Nomad. Great little R/O glider.
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6264
Plans suggest 020 should be fine.
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Feb 10, 2016, 02:24 PM
Find More Posts by BMatthews
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
13,624 Posts
At that weight it'll get up there. But it's going to resemble an uphill glide. Just be patient and by the time the engine runs out of fuel at around 90 to 120 seconds it'll be high enough to look around for a thermal or two.

A hint for rudder only flying in wind. If you DO manage to hook a thermal and follow it a ways downwind you may find that you're not making much headway on the return against the wind. When faced with that on my own RO model I found that a series of "S" turns to about 20 to 25 degrees either side of the wind direction dropped the nose enough and sped up the model that it covered far more ground per foot of altitude vs just patiently waiting for it to move when gliding in a straight line. With the S turns it made it back to the launch point. Without the S turns I'd have flown for longer but would have to walk some ways to pick up the model from downwind.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Feb 10, 2016, 06:37 PM
Find More Posts by phil_g
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,422 Posts
If you want to use the Adams with conventional modern gear, I do a pulser, it fits in the plane between the rx rudder channel and the Adams.
Skip to 2:10 to see it in action:

Pulse Proportional adapter for Adams-style magnetic actuators (3 min 5 sec)

Glyns pulse model uses one:

MVI 0630 (2 min 3 sec)
phil_g is offline Find More Posts by phil_g
Last edited by phil_g; Feb 10, 2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 06:59 PM
Find More Posts by olmod
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Langwarrin
Joined Apr 2004
10,646 Posts
Best tip for single channel is always fly upwind do figure 8s sideways nose into the wind to lose height if you cant penetrate.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Last edited by olmod; Feb 11, 2016 at 04:47 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:36 AM
Find More Posts by Moeregaard
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
254 Posts
Nice Nomad you have there. Due to the opaque covering, I can't tell if yours has the wing spar that was added to the kit later. Early, non-spar Nomads have a reputation for folding wings if full rudder is applied to spiral out of lift, so proceed accordingly. Yes, the Pee Wee .020 has enough beans to take it upstairs.
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old Feb 11, 2016, 06:34 PM
Find More Posts by apilgrim
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Apr 2006
96 Posts
C0x .020 Glider

A very big thank you to all you guys for the inputs.
apilgrim is offline Find More Posts by apilgrim
Old Feb 11, 2016, 07:51 PM
Find More Posts by Trisquire
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
Best tip for single channel is always fly upwind do figure 8s sideways nose into the wind to lose height if you cant penetrate.
Too bad you weren't there when I lost my Single Channel .020 Glider in the '70s. I should have just held the rudder hard over in one direction. The glider would have spiraled in, but at least I'd still have it.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire