HorizonHobby.com Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by Bhodi11
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Dec 2013
1,466 Posts
I talked to PRC today. Interesting development, they have had a few more DPL8 in addition to my two fail. All have had channel 2 burn out in the same way and were recently sold. Looking like it might just be a bad run or manufacturer defect of some type. Right now I am in a holding pattern until it gets sorted out. At least channel one is working like a champ on my second one so I am not dead in the water.
Bhodi11 is offline Find More Posts by Bhodi11
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:45 PM
Find More Posts by rocket_33
Joined Jul 2011
1,166 Posts
Good news....well in a way.....changes the direction of the spotlight away from you to a bad production run
rocket_33 is offline Find More Posts by rocket_33
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by write2dgray
United States, NJ, Princeton
Joined Dec 2006
2,010 Posts
How confusing is all this stuff?! Inputs and outputs, DC and AC voltages, dual channels, and multiple assumed efficiencies, whew. I read this thread a few times and realized that pretty much everyone is right. We just all approach the answer from slightly different angles or with slightly different assumptions.

The general question is: What is the maximum amps that I can charge this?
The most accurate answer is: Nobody knows exactly.
The reason: We don’t know the exact efficiency of chargers over a wide range of operating (input/output voltage/current) parameters.

In communication with FMA and our customers we think the best approach is to set the input power limits of the charger to the limits of the power supply (at the given AC input voltage). We believe that any power supply we offer is capable of sustaining it’s maximum rated output, so we will set the power supply inputs on the charger to match the power supply maximum output. This will prevent the charger from overstressing the power supply and will also limit risk of damage to the charger in a situation when a power supply fails.

So, the long accurate answer to the above question is: When we offer case combos the charger output will be limited to the power supply maximum wattage times the efficiency of the charger (which we don’t exactly know, but can be assumed to be 90% or greater).

In our testing and experience, modern chargers we offer are over 90% efficient over a wide operating range. When we market maximum charging rates of various combos the calculation is based on power supply output limits with an assumed charger efficiency of 90%, i.e. for Mean Well RSP-2000-24 at 120V AC input connected to Dual PL8 charging (2) 6S packs: (48V x 31.5A) = 1512W power supply max. 151W2 / 2 = 756W per channel of charger. 756W x .90 charger efficiency = 680.4W output per channel. 680W.4 / 25.2V (max. voltage 6S) = 27A max. output per channel for 6S pack.

I believe we’ve got Bhodi sorted out and apologize for any confusion we may have directly or inadvertently caused. We have printed up some additional material to be included in our charger and case packages to educate customers on pre-set limits and are happy to answer any questions. Please feel free to contact me directly by email, PM, or our website.

Cheers,
David
ProgressiveRC
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
Site Sponsor