Old Feb 12, 2016, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by ronaldj
Winter - Tavares, Florida
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2012
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingiceberg View Post
I am sure it has been asked but I have not been able to find the answer? I am having a problem with the nose wheel not turning to the right and I have not been able to fix the problem. I have tried adjustments at the clevis as well as taking the wheel out and putting it back in. The ESC is loose and I thought that may be interfearing with the control arms so I taped it in place since it was sliding back and forth. Next I am going to diconnect both the rudder and wheel clevis and centering the servo and then reconnecting them but it feels like something is binding up. Any suggesstions would be appreciated!
The 1st thing I would do is have a close look at the wheel clevis. They are designed to break the pins on a hard landing. I could see the pin being cracked or broken. That would alter normal steering.
ronaldj is offline Find More Posts by ronaldj
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2016, 09:55 AM
Find More Posts by flightengr
United States, IL
Joined Mar 2013
1,573 Posts
If you disconnect the clevis/rod on the nose gear, will it turn freely? And with the nose gear still disconnected, does the rudder work properly?

If the rudder works fine with the nose gear disconnected, you've eliminated the servo and its setup.

If the wheel won't turn even being disconnected from the servo, then there's something wrong with the wheel mounting system.
flightengr is offline Find More Posts by flightengr
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:05 AM
Find More Posts by Flyingiceberg
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2015
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
The 1st thing I would do is have a close look at the wheel clevis. They are designed to break the pins on a hard landing. I could see the pin being cracked or broken. That would alter normal steering.
I already replaced it. Did not fix it.
Flyingiceberg is online now Find More Posts by Flyingiceberg
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:46 AM
Find More Posts by rszanti
Cincinnati, Ohio
Joined May 2002
649 Posts
If I remember correctly, isn't there a screw in the collar that keeps the axle from sliding up in the bracket. If the screw isn't pointing forward when in neutral position it might hit the bracket when you rotate the wheel.

Richard
rszanti is offline Find More Posts by rszanti
Old Feb 12, 2016, 07:03 PM
Find More Posts by Starbuckin
Kentucky
Joined Oct 2008
269 Posts
I've noticed on my Apprentice that one of the control arms from the rudder/steering servo hits the ESC and or battery wires when stick is far to one side, that was causing my steering to not be able to go in one direction as far as it could the other way along with diminished rudder deflection in one direction. My ESC was glued in with the white stuff and since your's isn't this probably isn't your problem. Just though I'd point that out in case anyone else has a similar problem.
Starbuckin is offline Find More Posts by Starbuckin
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:50 PM
Find More Posts by Flyingiceberg
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2015
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuckin View Post
I've noticed on my Apprentice that one of the control arms from the rudder/steering servo hits the ESC and or battery wires when stick is far to one side, that was causing my steering to not be able to go in one direction as far as it could the other way along with diminished rudder deflection in one direction. My ESC was glued in with the white stuff and since your's isn't this probably isn't your problem. Just though I'd point that out in case anyone else has a similar problem.
I also had the same problem. I used a ziptie and some tape to pull the wire out of the way. I also replaced both push rods for the wheel and rudder. It seems to be working but I will not know until I fly again. I also replace the nose wheel and gear. I already had the extra parts since I knew I would need them from the crashes I had when I started learning to fly. lol!!!!

I crashed the club Apprentice a few times!
Flyingiceberg is online now Find More Posts by Flyingiceberg
Old Feb 13, 2016, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by Starbuckin
Kentucky
Joined Oct 2008
269 Posts
I'm sure you know this but make sure your nose gear is back centered before you fly. You'll probably have to take her to a large parking lot and run her along the ground at low speed without taking off. You may have to re-trim and make sure you have restored full left and right steering.

I've also seen further back in the thread that people had trouble with their nose gear not lining up with the rudder, could make for a nasty landing...

I'd line up the rudder with the vertical stabilizer at zero trim by adjusting the "turnbuckle" at the servo and then "drive" the Apprentice and make adjustments to the nose gear's servo arm until it lines up (drives strait) with the rudder.

I'm sure you already know this but I'm posting in case noobs are reading this and have a need to replace one or both of the rudder/nose gear rods and think they can just estimate and drop one (them) in.
Starbuckin is offline Find More Posts by Starbuckin
Old Feb 13, 2016, 09:34 PM
Find More Posts by BoxCar31
Perpetual Noob
United States, NC, Arden
Joined May 2015
953 Posts
From my experience, begin with allowing the plane to completely power up and let the servos center. Then look to adjusting the clevices for the rudder and nose gear. You also want to move the nose gear clevis out one position on the servo arm. It will improve the turning radius immensely. If the rudder is mechanically aligned with the fin, you can almost eyeball the nose wheel alignment. All you really need to do is just push it along the floor or ground and you can tell if you need any additional clevis adjustment.
BoxCar31 is offline Find More Posts by BoxCar31
Old Feb 14, 2016, 07:10 PM
Find More Posts by SeeMeDo
Lower AL
Joined Feb 2013
1,634 Posts
With this being Valentines Day, nah I went Flying. I've had an on and off again flutter of the elevator I've been chasing which turned out to be a crack in the foam near the elevator control horn. The decal on the top hid it from view and was just about the only thing holding the elevator together. Used a plastic gift card to cut out a little piece to go around the control horn, should be better then new.
E-Flite Apprentice S 15e Orange Rx Toth 14Feb16 (7 min 59 sec)

Jeff.............
SeeMeDo is offline Find More Posts by SeeMeDo
Old Feb 14, 2016, 07:51 PM
Find More Posts by freddy_fo
United States, UT, Richfield
Joined Sep 2014
967 Posts
That flutter happened to me last week and the cause was exactly the same where it was torn around the control horn. I had the floats on mine as I was using snow for a runway so I was thankful I was able to get it back safely with the extra weight. I should have reinforced like you but the foam-tac seems to have done a pretty good job. Flew it later that day and no issues.
freddy_fo is online now Find More Posts by freddy_fo
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:22 AM
Find More Posts by ripacheco
rip
United States, FL, Niceville
Joined Jan 2013
3,487 Posts
Tail broke off mid air

So we did a couple of loops a couple of rolls
Tail broke off

now need a new fuse and new tail surfaces... $70.00 damage

GRRRRRRRRR
ripacheco is offline Find More Posts by ripacheco
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:38 PM
Find More Posts by ronaldj
Winter - Tavares, Florida
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2012
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripacheco View Post
Tail broke off

GRRRRRRRRR
Just glue the fuse back together. I flew mine for a year that way. I used white gorilla glue, but CA or epoxy would work as well. I ended up adding some light glass cloth with epoxy to strengthen it more after awhile.
ronaldj is offline Find More Posts by ronaldj
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:45 PM
Find More Posts by ajohnsonlaird
The Ground is The Limit™
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2012
90 Posts
Could you post an image of where it broke -- I'd like to reinforce mine before I do any aerobatics!

Andy
ajohnsonlaird is offline Find More Posts by ajohnsonlaird
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:54 PM
Find More Posts by SilverSport
Other side of Your Screen
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Dec 2014
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnsonlaird View Post
Could you post an image of where it broke -- I'd like to reinforce mine before I do any aerobatics!

Andy
They all seem to break in about the same place, midway between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the stabilizer. After my flights last weekend I think I am going to remove the piece of foam rubber on the bottom and put some CF rods in the area then reinstall the foam. I haven't broken one yet, but with the use of my Mobius and key fob cam I can see the amount it moves when I point the camera backward mounted on top the wing,
SilverSport is offline Find More Posts by SilverSport
Old Feb 18, 2016, 01:11 PM
Find More Posts by TIRCQ
United States, FL, Doral
Joined Nov 2013
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripacheco View Post
Tail broke off

GRRRRRRRRR
There maybe?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5943

That's the weak tail zone were my 2 Airplanes are reinforced + 1 more repair/fix I did to one of my friends
TIRCQ is offline Find More Posts by TIRCQ