New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2015, 07:45 AM
Find More Posts by bRandom
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jul 2013
109 Posts
Discussion
Which 90mm EDF are the best... for A-10 Wade Joos

Im building a 66" twin 90mm Wade Joos A-10 Kit and its finally time to purchase the edf units.
Im having a heck of a time deciding if I want to get the Wemo Evo's (which seem to have disappeared of the face of the earth), the jetfan 90's, or the Schubeler DS-51-AXI HDS 90mm...
Or is there a better fan out there in this relative price range? Its such a difficult decision not knowing enough about each of them or how they stack directly against eachother... I pretty much want a good sounding edf (so maybe more blades even though I know they may not be quite as efficient as the lesser blades).

Ive been going in circles trying to decide for months now... any opinions are much appreciated!
Thanks
bRandom is offline Find More Posts by bRandom
Last edited by bRandom; Apr 01, 2015 at 08:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2015, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by 4stripes
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,911 Posts
I would stick two XRP 14 blade fans with motors in running 6s. At $70 each they sound great and would give a total of over 5kg thrust. Just take the time to dynamically balance them for decent reliability.

http://x-flight.com.hk/index.php?sp=...&more=&lang=en
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
Old Apr 01, 2015, 11:27 AM
Find More Posts by turbonut
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,985 Posts
To fit your list get the jet fans...and just put them in and go
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Apr 01, 2015, 12:07 PM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
To fit your list get the jet fans...and just put them in and go

+1 . that's the way to go for sure.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Apr 01, 2015, 12:10 PM
Find More Posts by Tempest
Gaithersburg MD, United States
Joined Nov 2000
995 Posts
Brandon,

I was originally planning on a pair of Jetfan 90's running 6s each. That's the route I would recommend.

Paul
Tempest is online now Find More Posts by Tempest
Old Apr 01, 2015, 12:32 PM
Joined Jul 2013
109 Posts
I was thinking I would go 8s. but the jetfans seem pretty highly regarded. I was going to go het 650-68-1600 kv. Is there a better motor like the neu ? The 8s may be slight overkill but thats a good thing. Probably a little over 12 lb. A10 when its finished. Also what brand speed controls are the best?100 or 120 amp?
Thanks everyone!
Old Apr 01, 2015, 12:55 PM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,586 Posts
Of course any input you get is a personal choice , of that poster, for a motor, perhaps a Het 650-68 series .. http://www.highendrc.com/index_ecat.php?cPath=53_57
There 700-68-1680 Kv seems to be quite an amp hog! But some have even used the
700-68-1500Kv with great results-- All a personal choice-- Neu motors are great, . but pricy .

Thus far, the planes I'm working on/building are for a single JF90 on 12s , I just got a few kits that will require a JF 120-- but all can use the same ESC's-- my choice is the YEP 120Hv..

Should you be interested in those. I just got another one the other day, and the buddy code number is in this post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=199 ...Saves you a few bucks! Like
$25-$30.

If you go that way, and have a problem with the code --PM me. Just sign in first.or it won't work
It should be good for another week , or so.
Good luck on your project
Cooler

A side note--If you look through the foamy forum, guys that are up-grading there plane, to 8s or more, tend to go with the JF.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Apr 01, 2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2015, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by Mark Powell
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Oct 2013
2,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bRandom View Post
Im building a 66" twin 90mm Wade Joos A-10 Kit and its finally time to purchase the edf units.
Im having a heck of a time deciding if I want to get the Wemo Evo's (which seem to have disappeared of the face of the earth), the jetfan 90's, or the Schubeler DS-51-AXI HDS 90mm...
Or is there a better fan out there in this relative price range? Its such a difficult decision not knowing enough about each of them or how they stack directly against eachother... I pretty much want a good sounding edf (so maybe more blades even though I know they may not be quite as efficient as the lesser blades).

Ive been going in circles trying to decide for months now... any opinions are much appreciated!
Thanks
They are all much the same. Motor for motor, the difference between a Wemo Midifan, Jetfan 90 V2, Schubeler DS-51 HDS, and the old 4 blade all-carbon DS-51 3ph will be less than 5%

Matching the motor to the fan and number of cells is FAR more important.

As CoolerByTheLake says, it's just your personal choice. Mine would be the Jetfan as it's half the price of the prettier but no better Schubeler HDS. If you don't carefully balance the Wemo it can tear both itself and the motor apart. I've had that happen. The Wemo spinner is the cause of the problem. Leave it off, the Wemo works just as well without it
Mark Powell is offline Find More Posts by Mark Powell
Last edited by Mark Powell; Apr 01, 2015 at 01:43 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 01, 2015, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by efflux RC
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
9,329 Posts
bRandom,

QUOTE] Im building a 66" twin 90mm Wade Joos A-10 Kit and its finally time to purchase the edf units.

Thanks [QUOTE

.................................................. .................................................. .................................

While the Wemo EVO, Shubie and Jetfan 90 are all great EDFs, My opinion would be the middle of the road (cost wise) and great sounding Jet fan 90, since your running a twin.
Nice scale flying A-10 could be achieved with HET 700-68-1400 on 8s. It's 3.2kg thrust @ 70A (on the bench), making a total of 6.4kg thrust.
A Castle Edge 100 would be perfect.

If you want more power on 8s.......I'd suggest the 700-68-1500 . It's 3.8kg thrust per fan unit. (x 2= 7.6kg thrust)
A well cooled Edge 100 would be fine, or an Edge 130 for more headroom, if you prefer.
This setup is the currently, most popular aftermarket 8s (single engine) set up.

The wemo fan wouldn't look nice (as the fan is exposed in the nacelles) without the spinner. They can be made to run very smooth using the spinner, and most folks just go ahead and use them. Still I feel the rotor blade shape of the EVO is not appealing for this air frame.

I'm out of the DS-51 HDS and the EVO fans, but they will be back in stock soon.

Hope the info helps.
efflux RC is online now Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Apr 01, 2015 at 02:41 PM. Reason: added pics
Old Apr 01, 2015, 06:32 PM
Joined Nov 2000
995 Posts
Honestly I don't see why 8S would be required or suggested for what is a rather small airframe. These planes flew on twin Midi's on much fewer watts than a pair of 6s JF90's. I think you'll get diminishing returns with the additional 4s (2 8S vs 2 6S).

Ted Goodwin's version flew on twin Midi's with Mega 22/30/3's on a shared 9S pack. A total of 2,600 watts for a 12 lb airframe.

If you go with the JF 90's and a pair of HET 700-60-1865's (on 6S each) you'll be looking at a total of 4,000 watts at about 90 amps. That should be more than enough in my opinion. Look at how well Ted's flew.

Just my $.02. Keep it simple Brandon.

Paul

RC A-10 Thunderbolt II (6 min 44 sec)
Old Apr 01, 2015, 07:14 PM
Joined Jul 2013
109 Posts
Just ordered 2 jetfan90s with het700-68-1500s from efflux with balancing & wire mod! Gary has excellent customer service. Really impressed with him taking his time to talk in detail about everything over the phone! Thanks Gary
Old Apr 01, 2015, 07:15 PM
Joined Jul 2013
109 Posts
Thanks for the input Paul... Hopefully its not too overkill. I decided to go with extra power because I will be flying this fpv so a little added weight. But I see your point... Ted's flies amazingly well!
Old Apr 01, 2015, 07:37 PM
Find More Posts by pylonboy
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
332 Posts
Quote:
Just ordered 2 jetfan90s with het700-68-1500s from efflux with balancing & wire mod! Gary has excellent customer service. Really impressed with him taking his time to talk in detail about everything over the phone! Thanks Gary
I think you will be very happy with that setup. Better to go a little hotter as you can always throttle back!

The JetFans sound nice and they are a quality item.
pylonboy is offline Find More Posts by pylonboy
Old Apr 01, 2015, 07:45 PM
Joined Nov 2000
995 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the input Paul... Hopefully its not too overkill. I decided to go with extra power because I will be flying this fpv so a little added weight. But I see your point... Ted's flies amazingly well!
Understood Brandon. Just watch your weight. You know I have a vested interest in that kit. ;-)

I look forward to seeing you get it finished.

Paul
Old Apr 01, 2015, 09:29 PM
Joined Jul 2013
109 Posts
Will do! Thanks!