Old Oct 11, 2014, 04:23 AM
Find More Posts by SeByDocKy
France, PACA, La Valette-du-Var
Joined Dec 2012
7,417 Posts
Mini-Review
Gin/Eachine H7

INTRODUCTION

In the fast growing list of nanoquadcopter's models, the new chinese "Gin" compagny is offering a model clearly inspired by the Cheerson CX-10.
The success story of the CX-10 is based on three ingredients: 1) tiny size, 2) efficient stabilization and controls and 3) cheap price.
Concerning the H7, we will see if this model is improving these features

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x Gin H7 (with a 1S 150Ah LiPo )
+ 1 x Transmitter (using 2xAAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x USB-Charger (endinf with 1.25 mini JST connector)
+ 1 x Prop guard
+ 4 x Spare props (2 CW, 2 CCW)
+ 1 x Instruction manual (English)

OVERVIEW

The H7 is slightly larger than the CX-10, occupying a square of 43mmx43mm (instead of 40mmx40 for the CX-10)

Here is a direct comparaison with the CX-10

Versus, the CX-10, one visible difference is the bumped size of the belly part, due to the larger LiPo integration

The switch and the mini-JST 1.25mm connector are located in rear side. Two green LEDs are located on front arms and 2 blues on rear arms.
The choice of these 2 colors is not the best one for night flying IMHO even if a extra white LED can be found front.
The plastic quality of the H7 for me is slightly lower than the CX-10. For the H7, the plastic seems more rigid than the CX-10 so more succeptible to have some cracks.

The bottom side of the H7 is showing the LiPo compartement, much larger than the CX-10. Only 4 unique screws are locking both H7 canopy's parts

Motor pods are jailling some 6mmx12mm motors and must be unclipsed

The total weight of the H7 is 14.2g so 2.3g more than the CX-10

A prop guard can be installed by first removing props

The model is light (0.8g) and efficient to absorbe damages of main type of crashes

Propellers

Propellers are slightly larger than the CX-10 model

and are scaling 0.1g each

By unscrewing the 4 screws and unclipsing motors pods, the bottom part of the canopy can be removed

Here, we can clearly read the LiPo caracteristic, a 1S 150mah model is directly soldered on the main PCB. Lipo capacity is increased by a 50% factor versus other nanoquad model. This extra capacity will probably improve the flight duration.

We can clearly read "MT9913" meaning that this Gin model is in fact produced by the Moontop compagny.

Here the comparaison with the Moontop M9911 (reviewed at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post28482474)

On the bottom side of the PCB, we can find the MCU, a ARM core produced by STM, the invensense 6050 for the 6 axis stabilization and the XN297 RFchip.

This latter is now often used for very cheap models and is in theory compatible with the nRF24L01 chip.
Since some protocol'hacking tentatives are under invertigation for the "green" CX-10, we may hope one day this one can be also "Deviated". Notice the presence of a dipole antenna well trimmed to 31mm (2.4G)

Transmitter

The transmitter is slightly larger than the CX-10 model... so IMHO more adapted for larger hands

2 x AAA batteries are required to turn on the TX

By desassembling it, we find ago the "Moontop" reference (in rev 1.3 instead of rev 1.2 for the M9911)

Unfortunatly, the protocol used for this H7 is not the same than for the M9911 or any known quadcopters I have (I tried the JXD 395/CX-10 green, Eachine H1, Eachine CG022 all models with the XN297 RF chip).

I didn't find the gyroscope calibration procedure in the instruction manual.. I will update this review asap I will find it.

FIRST USAGE

Well .... at first take off, you can notice a very stable quadcopter. So it's good sign... In beginner mode, the yaw rate is already quiet acceptable. Controls are very precise. I didn't obseve any specfic drifting even without calibration. In sport mode, the yaw rate is just excellent !!! and pitch and roll max angles are increased a lot allowing fast flying. The more suprizing is the flying duration. When you start to stress from 4mm with a CX-10, here you can flight more than 6mm without problem. The range control is also very good (no drop out
observed in a range of 35m)

CONCLUSIONS

Definitively this H7 is a nice "little" suprize .... If you are hesitating between the CX-10 and the H7, you should pick up this one (too)... With more than 6-7mm of flying duration... it's clearly the nano model with longuest flight time. In beginner mode, this quadcopter with the props guard installed is ideal for beginners. In sport mode, in outdoors conditions, you can achieve fast fowarding without sacrifying stability. I really liked the yaw rate too.... In full fast forward, turnings are insame with such yaw rate.

UNBOXING

Gin H7 nanoquadcopter: Unboxing and quick testing (Courtesy of Tmart) (10 min 1 sec)

PROS

+ Nice design
+ Fast in sport mode
+ Excellent yaw rate
+ Easy maintenance
+ Good flying duration (> 6mm)
+ Good range control
+ LVC alarm

CONS

- LiPo directly soldered on PCB
- Plastic probably more sensitive to cracks
- YARP (Yet Another Radio Protocol)

Gin H7 nanoquadcopter: Outdoors test (Courtesy of Tmart) (2 min 22 sec)

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Tmart in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.

You can find it actually for 22 USD at
http://www.tmart.com/sl/54328d9094e87
SeByDocKy is offline Find More Posts by SeByDocKy
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Oct 28, 2014 at 01:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2014, 04:25 AM
Joined Dec 2012
7,417 Posts
Reserved for mods, photos and videos
Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by ONCLEFLY
France, IDF, Montlhéry
Joined Jun 2013
90 Posts
Good job my friend .
ONCLEFLY is offline Find More Posts by ONCLEFLY
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:25 PM
Joined Dec 2012
7,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONCLEFLY View Post
Good job my friend .

Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2014, 06:55 AM
Joined Dec 2012
7,417 Posts
Price dropped to 20 USD .... A very good deal if you don't have already CX-20 or want a model a little bit better
Old Oct 13, 2014, 08:41 AM
Find More Posts by gfb107
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Sep 2014
187 Posts
Looks very good. Longer flight time is great, and the included prop guard is a nice bonus. Are the thumb pads on the controller removable, so that extenders can be installed to improve resolution?
gfb107 is offline Find More Posts by gfb107
Old Oct 13, 2014, 09:11 AM
Joined Dec 2012
7,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfb107 View Post
Looks very good. Longer flight time is great, and the included prop guard is a nice bonus. Are the thumb pads on the controller removable, so that extenders can be installed to improve resolution?
Yes there are
Old Oct 13, 2014, 09:15 AM
Find More Posts by gfb107
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Sep 2014
187 Posts
Outstanding. I'll probably get one of these once spare props and guards are available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy View Post
Yes there are
gfb107 is offline Find More Posts by gfb107
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by theimacman
Flyin' Ryan
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined May 2012
3,263 Posts
The Tmart listing says something about a "buzzing" sound that it makes. Is that true? Or are they just trying to make the rotor/motor sound into a "feature"? lol

I have a green one on the way.
theimacman is offline Find More Posts by theimacman
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:40 AM
Find More Posts by osiris4isis
Joined Oct 2006
127 Posts
I don't know why people would call this size nano since there was a helicopter introduced several years ago call the Pico which is similar in size. If you call this nano size, then you only have two larger size to deal with: mini and micro. And 450 size is considered mini, so micro have to covered a large range. I would think pico size for CX-10 like quad would be better. Just curious, not trying to start anything.
osiris4isis is offline Find More Posts by osiris4isis
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:55 AM
Flyin' Ryan
Joined May 2012
3,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by osiris4isis View Post
I don't know why people would call this size nano since there was a helicopter introduced several years ago call the Pico which is similar in size. If you call this nano size, then you only have two larger size to deal with: mini and micro. And 450 size is considered mini, so micro have to covered a large range. I would think pico size for CX-10 like quad would be better. Just curious, not trying to start anything.
The naming is inconsistent throughout the industry.

But, as far as general tech goes, nano quads aren't even "nano" let alone "pico"!

That being said, I think "nano" is much more accurate for these quads, since "pico" is absolutely tiny, and as RC tech progresses, surely we will see even smaller quads.

I don't know who calls a 450 "mini". I would consider that on the large size, actually.

I think, as far as industry options are concerned, it goes something like this:

350 QX = "normal"
mQX = Mini
Nano QX = Micro
Pico QX = Nano
Future even smaller QX = Pico
Old Oct 16, 2014, 03:54 PM
Find More Posts by osiris4isis
Joined Oct 2006
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimacman View Post
The naming is inconsistent throughout the industry.

But, as far as general tech goes, nano quads aren't even "nano" let alone "pico"!

That being said, I think "nano" is much more accurate for these quads, since "pico" is absolutely tiny, and as RC tech progresses, surely we will see even smaller quads.

I don't know who calls a 450 "mini". I would consider that on the large size, actually.

I think, as far as industry options are concerned, it goes something like this:

350 QX = "normal"
mQX = Mini
Nano QX = Micro
Pico QX = Nano
Future even smaller QX = Pico
450 large? I don't think so, 600-800 is considered normal. I've seen people fly heli larger than 800; now that's can be called large. I serious doubt they will build something smaller than what is offerred now. What use is it? I don't want to fly something the size of a bee or mosquito.
osiris4isis is offline Find More Posts by osiris4isis
Old Oct 16, 2014, 04:08 PM
Flyin' Ryan
Joined May 2012
3,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by osiris4isis View Post
450 large? I don't think so, 600-800 is considered normal. I've seen people fly heli larger than 800; now that's can be called large. I serious doubt they will build something smaller than what is offerred now. What use is it? I don't want to fly something the size of a bee or mosquito.
600-800 is large. Over 800 is giant-scale.

"Normal" would imply "average" or "common", and the average pilot is absolutely not flying 600-800 size helicopters.

As for smaller, I'm sure people said the same about the mQX, and then the Nano QX, etc, etc.

Maybe YOU don't want to fly a bee, but I absolutely do!!
Old Oct 16, 2014, 06:49 PM
Find More Posts by jtravel
Rather Be flying or Tinkering
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
3,096 Posts
SeByDocKy,
Just wanted to say your reviews are the Most informative and complete that I have seen on RC_groups or anyplace else for that matter.
Your very thorough and take it to the next level by disassembling and photographing it all. You also give specific chip name & numbers when you can.
You are truly a RC Review God and I always look forward to reading your reviews
jtravel is offline Find More Posts by jtravel
Last edited by jtravel; Oct 16, 2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:46 AM
Joined Dec 2012
7,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravel View Post
SeByDocKy,
Just wanted to say your reviews are the Most informative and complete that I have seen on RC_groups or anyplace else for that matter.
Your very thorough and take it to the next level by disassembling and photographing it all. You also give specific chip name & numbers when you can.
You are truly a RC Review God and I always look forward to reading your reviews
Thanks a lot

It's still far to be perfect reviews, but I am trying to improve them little by little... Yes I think, it's also important to focus on these technical détails. Beginners will jump these sections, but new modders won't