Find More Posts by hawaiirc
United States, HI, Kaneohe
Joined Aug 2011
85 Posts
Discussion
disabling rds 8000 transmitter

Reposting here as I am not getting any response in the radio section

Hi,

I am using the Airtronics RDS 8000 with Dragon Link. I've tapped into the trainer port and DL seems to be fine. But I would like to disable the 2.4 transmitter to save battery.

I clipped the ground wire shown by the pencil. Seems to disable the TX function while keeping the ppm feed okay. The "bind" LED on the Airtronics does not light now.

Anyone see any problem with this? I was also thinking to add a switch to be able to use 2.4 at will.

thanks,
David
hawaiirc is offline Find More Posts by hawaiirc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 01:46 AM
Find More Posts by Toysrme
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,977 Posts
why? a 5 dollar 3s2xxx lipo would probably run it at least a couple days of flying.
why add a switch when you can just unplug the trainer cord?

on the old ones (even going back to the radiant's and the non computerized vangaurds) you simply unplugged the RF/amplifier board. the new 2.4ghz idk
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:31 PM
Find More Posts by Eric Byrne
Joined May 2007
15 Posts
Hi Hawaiirc,
if the bind light on the transmitter is not coming on with this wire open circuited, then it is probably not transmitting. This is easy to check with a reciever and battery of course, just see it's light comes on. I don't know if it would do any harm to your transmitter or not though, I would love to know myself, Eric.
Eric Byrne is online now Find More Posts by Eric Byrne
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:12 PM
Find More Posts by Martin Y
400' ..... NOT
Canada
Joined Jan 2009
4,179 Posts
Never clip a ground/return wire. Power will find another route to take. Always disable power not ground.
Martin Y is online now Find More Posts by Martin Y
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:21 PM
Joined May 2007
15 Posts
Hi Martin Y,
yeah I am inclined to agree with you, disconnect the power to the rf board by switching the live feed. The 2.4GHZ board can be found by following the grey wire from the antenna to underneath the largest board. I am going to experiment more tomorrow,
regards,
Eric.
Last edited by Eric Byrne; Apr 14, 2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Clarity, I hope!
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined May 2007
15 Posts
Ok so I snipped the red wire going to the 2.4GHZ board. The rf output is now disabled, and I have been checking temps for the rest of the components for the last hour or so, everything seems ok. Connecting and disconnecting the snipped wire either restores or disables the rf output without issues. I have not checked the ppm output as I am doing this as a battery saving method while programming, as per the SD-10G transmitter. I will fit a switch in a suitable position tomorrow.
Eric.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:51 PM
Find More Posts by Martin Y
400' ..... NOT
Canada
Joined Jan 2009
4,179 Posts
Use a spdt switch. This way you can change from either 2.4 to uhf easily
Martin Y is online now Find More Posts by Martin Y
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:07 PM
Joined May 2007
15 Posts
Hi Martin Y,
Not sure if you are refering to me or the original poster. In my case I just want to disable the rf output while programing to save battery life. With that in mind I added a switch today as planned to switch off the rf output. Was a pain in the ass to find a place to add this switch, as it needed a bit of modding to the area above the handle where it ended up, but looks good in the end. I left the tx on for about 3 hours today with rf disabled, the battery voltage only dropped by .2 v, and everything else works fine.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by pablojaime
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Byrne View Post
Hi Martin Y,
Not sure if you are refering to me or the original poster. In my case I just want to disable the rf output while programing to save battery life. With that in mind I added a switch today as planned to switch off the rf output. Was a pain in the ass to find a place to add this switch, as it needed a bit of modding to the area above the handle where it ended up, but looks good in the end. I left the tx on for about 3 hours today with rf disabled, the battery voltage only dropped by .2 v, and everything else works fine.
Hi Eric, so you installed a switch in the Red Wire from the first post foto?
and when you hit the switch, the blue led goes off?
Thanks!!!

Pablo.
pablojaime is offline Find More Posts by pablojaime
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:10 AM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
391 Posts
Ok!!! Done!!!
I De-soldered the red wire, soldered a new red wire and installed a switch (on/off) on the handle of the radio, checked and works perfect, what i can't check if there is a range change, don't need to be, but if you made the change check your range!!! this radio has is antenna basis broken, and will install on it an EzUHF, that's why I needed to disable the 2.4GHz, what i found is that in the moment I shut OFF the 2.4GHz, the voltage goes up by 0.2V.
Have Fun!!!

Pablo.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 05:12 PM
Joined May 2007
15 Posts
Hi, sorry for very late reply, have not checked this thread in ages!
But yes you have done the same as me, seems to work fine for me too, enjoy.
Eric.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by Chophop
I likes Electric Flies !
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
9,323 Posts
Isn't there a way to do that by tricking the trainer port into thinking it is being used as the trainee's radio ? That should disable the transmitter in the way it is meant to be.

So far I am totally satisfied with the RDS8000. I suddenly need an 8 channel. Same cost for an Anylink 2 and 8 channel receiver.
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Mar 29, 2015, 08:33 PM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop View Post
Isn't there a way to do that by tricking the trainer port into thinking it is being used as the trainee's radio ? That should disable the transmitter in the way it is meant to be.
To disable the 2.4 Tx through the trainer port you need to pass power also on the trainer port to the Tx and none LRS do that in the mean time.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 09:05 PM
I likes Electric Flies !
Joined Sep 2006
9,323 Posts
Oh I forgot to come back and say what I found today, seems what you said pablojaime.
Simply supply 5 volts dc and ground through the trainer port, then extract the pwm signal at the trainer port for the external module. That means powering for example the Any Link 2 and the RDS8000 from the same battery, but may need to use a regulator, for the RDS8000 and the Any Link or other external rf module.

This could end up as a nasty mess of barnacles hanging on the radio and possibly falling off or getting torn off in the excitement of flying.

I only need one or two 8 channel receivers, I hope, $160. Hmmmmmm ?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 09:23 PM
I likes Electric Flies !
Joined Sep 2006
9,323 Posts
Ever hear that song "Nothing Like the Real Thing" . True but I did think up an idea to make this add on stuff somewhat acceptable.

Get a plastic plate about the size of the radio bottom.
Now you need at least four plastic stand off tubes to mount the plate under the radio.
Mount all the external stuff on the plate.
Find places to attach the stand offs near the four corners.
Leave enough room to easily move your fingers under the radio.
Keep all mounted stuff so the fingers won't touch them at all when flying.
Good luck !

I really don't like either way but I could have four 8 channel receivers for $160 and keep the RDS8000. I really like it's programming functions.

I could also get a Tactic radio which seems a step up from the bottom and down from the top. I do not know if I can trust a 12lb model at 80+ mph to that brand yet. I really don't know how reliable the Any Link 2 is either.