New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2015, 07:12 PM
Find More Posts by JohnsPop
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,924 Posts
Question
Repairing intake tube on OS61FS

I've got this old OS61FS that was running fine until my FB corkscrewed my Cub into the ground for me. The engine was pushed back into the fuse and it creased the intake tube. Do you guys think I can just take this off, heat it up and run a screwdriver or something through it to expand it back to close to its original shape? I doubt I'll be able to find a replacement part unless someone's just got one laying around in a junk box. It was a sweet running engine until it was crashed.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2015, 08:09 PM
Find More Posts by Broken Wings
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Jan 2006
1,583 Posts
The 90 degree bend looks ok, as does the section that enters the carburetor. There's no heat to worry about. Could you splice a new section of K&S tubing in between? ... just a thought.
Broken Wings is offline Find More Posts by Broken Wings
Old Mar 22, 2015, 08:16 PM
Find More Posts by SRQFlyer
Master re-kitter
Sarasota, Florida
Joined Dec 2005
306 Posts
Intake tube

The Magnum and ASP engines are clones of the OS line. You may be able to substitute a tube from either HK or Hobby People.
Good luck,
Jim
SRQFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SRQFlyer
Old Mar 22, 2015, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by the pope
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
741 Posts
Perhaps if you could mount the carb in a different position then a repaired part wouldnt need to be that precise like maybe the laser line of engines for example . That said I must congratulate you on the crash , that tube is knackered ! Cheers the pope
the pope is online now Find More Posts by the pope
Old Mar 23, 2015, 06:08 AM
Find More Posts by earlwb
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
14,352 Posts
If you have the tools, you could replace the tube with a new one by making it. But maybe splicing in a new tube would work too. Silver solder the splice or JB Weld epoxy it maybe. I think there are some tubing sizes that would work from the K&S metals display at hobby shops or ACE hardware or Hobby Lobby or stores like that.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Mar 23, 2015, 07:47 AM
Find More Posts by JohnsPop
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,924 Posts
Hadn't thought about a Magnum tube replacement. I guess that'd be the best first option, to see if I could get a replacement from them. And I swear Pope, it was my FB that crashed it not me! LOL
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Mar 23, 2015, 09:16 AM
Find More Posts by Chip01
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,738 Posts
If you use a Magnum intake manifold be sure the face connecting bolts to the head are correctly orientated. Newer Magnum manifolds changed their bolt pattern on their newer engines from the old engines, so make sure you get the correct one.
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Last edited by Chip01; Mar 23, 2015 at 09:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old Mar 23, 2015, 09:19 AM
Find More Posts by gkamysz
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,618 Posts
There is a compound bend in the tube and it's smashed in that area. It doesn't look like cutting and splicing will be a simple fix.

Which Sanye (ASP, Mangum) engine do you guys suggest for substitution? I can't think of one that will be a drop in.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:02 AM
Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Joined Mar 2007
1,253 Posts
What's an FB?

Pretty tricky to repair that damage .... but, I have seen crushed tubes that have been successfully ironed out. Worth a go.

Could even try plastic tube, or thin-walled silicone tubing, slotted onto the stub of the damaged manifold. I think that might give you a fairly pleasing repair.

Alternatively, one could be fabricated from straight brass tube. It won't matter that the joint is 90 degrees, rather than a smooth bend. Of course, if you can bend that K and S stuff, then that's even better.

Or, you might have the carb fastened to a short stub, like on my YS.... see pic below.
bogbeagle is online now Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Old Mar 23, 2015, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by Reginald
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
4,525 Posts
If this is any help, here are some pictures of how I did bend pipes for a Technopower radial. Do use fine 'dry' sand and get old of an apropriate bending tool. Fill the tube and put stops at both ends. And use a tube that is longer than needed so it can be handled well in the bender.In this case two bends have to be made and in view of the short distance this may be tricky, never done that myself.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Mar 23, 2015, 01:44 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
4,525 Posts
xxxx
Old Mar 23, 2015, 01:50 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
14,352 Posts
Also if you use the brass tubing like from K&S, you can heat it up good first to anneal it so it is softer and more easy to work with. You can use a gas stove or a torch, but you simply heat it until it is cherry red color. Then let it cool. We do the same thing with the brass fuel tubing too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2015, 01:57 PM
Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Joined Mar 2007
1,253 Posts
K and S sells a little set of bending springs, which do work quite well.
bogbeagle is online now Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Old Mar 23, 2015, 02:02 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
4,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogbeagle View Post
K and S sells a little set of bending springs, which do work quite well.
I had these years ago but could never work well with them, problem is how to retrieve the springs in fe a 90 bend ? I never managed that...
Old Mar 23, 2015, 02:05 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
14,352 Posts
Yes I was just going to say that trying to get the spring off after putting in a nice bend was a problem for me too.
RCG Plus Member