HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2014, 01:15 PM
Joined Nov 2014
12 Posts
Discussion
Just Crowdfunded 100% Carbon Fiber Ultra Micro RTF

moving this over from : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2293022
"Hey Everyone,

I hope this isn't forbidden as blatant self promotion, but I wanted to share a project I've been working on for months. It is a fully Carbon Fiber, Bluetooth Controlled, Thrust Vectoring Airplane. It's taken months of development to get it to this point, which is to have produced a working prototype and now I just launched a crowdfunding campaign to try and make it real.

I'd love to answer any questions, get feedback and share my work with the community.

There's also a referral program where no purchase is necessary to get a free Carbon Flyer.

One last note is that we're thinking about producing a hacker friendly version of the airframe so that hobbyists like you can build off our platform.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/1012428/x/9247750"

Would love to get some feedback, advice and happy to answer any questions. Thanks!
Carbon Flyer - Prototype Test Flight (0 min 31 sec)

A stunning look at Carbon Flyer (0 min 15 sec)
carbonfiberflyer is offline Find More Posts by carbonfiberflyer
Last edited by carbonfiberflyer; Dec 07, 2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: imgs
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2014, 06:28 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,513 Posts
Nice looking plane! Reminds me of the paper planes of my youth.
How long is the flight time on average?
What kind of range do you get?
rcrich is online now Find More Posts by rcrich
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: flying penguin
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:52 PM
Joined Nov 2014
12 Posts
Hi Rich,
Thanks, we've been hard at work making this thing awesome and real!

Average flight times are around 5 min, if you run at full juice the minimum you'd get is 3 min.

Range is ~240 feet.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 03:23 PM
Joined Nov 2014
12 Posts
New Actual Carbon Flyer Camera Footage

Hey Everyone,

Here's some actual Carbon Flyer Camera footage using the new upgraded HD camera.

Carbon Flyer 720p HD Video Upgrade (1 min 51 sec)

Comments, questions and suggestions welcome!

Cheers,
Bret
Old Dec 18, 2014, 03:42 PM
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,701 Posts
Looks like a fun little flyer.

What is the expected retail $ ?
dayhead is offline Find More Posts by dayhead
Old Dec 19, 2014, 07:46 AM
Joined Nov 2014
12 Posts
Hi dayhead,
It is a TON of fun and that's exactly what we built it for. It's not a 6-channel plane w/ brushless motors and a gimbal'd camera, but it's a blast to fly and since it doesn't have control surfaces and is made of nano-tube impregnated carbon fiber it really just doesn't break, which compared to my experience w/ the awesome foam planes horizon makes is kinda unbelievable. Yesterday I catapulted it into a brick wall over 100 times and then took it out for a flight, no damage and it flew like a charm

We're expecting the MSRP to be $150, but we're selling it on our crowdfunding site for $99 (http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/1012428/x/9247750) to raise to funds to bring this sleek little plane into mass production.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 02:57 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,513 Posts
Nice camera footage
rcrich is online now Find More Posts by rcrich
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: flying penguin
Old Dec 19, 2014, 03:09 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,946 Posts
Your 10 months away from shipping this toy, right?
Gohmer is online now Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM
Joined Nov 2014
12 Posts
Yes at this point in time we're expecting to begin shipping in August or July and we are trying to be conservative so as not to over promise. We are doing our best to anticipate possible bottlenecks in production so that we are ready for them when they come.
Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM
Joined Nov 2014
12 Posts
@rrich Thanks you. We're hoping for even better footage. We're exploring some additional stabilization techniques and are open to suggestions!
Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM
Joined Feb 2014
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonfiberflyer View Post
@rrich Thanks you. We're hoping for even better footage. We're exploring some additional stabilization techniques and are open to suggestions!
Well, you could sure start with a much better airplane design!! The infantile paper glider you have copied is many centuries old, starting when paper was introduced to European school-children. If you insist on copying a paper glider, at least copy a more modern and much better flying one, for example http://www.ncgraphicarts.com/ryan/other/eagleins.gif

Even better yet, put some real thought and research into this and find or develop a far better airframe. You can start by searching these RCG forums:

Foamies (Scratchbuilt)

Flying Wings

3D Foamies

Nurflügel
Pile It is offline Find More Posts by Pile It
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,701 Posts
[QUOTE=Pile It;30255529]Well, you could sure start with a much better airplane design!! The infantile paper glider you have copied is many centuries old, starting when paper was introduced to European school-children. If you insist on copying a paper glider, at least copy a more modern and much better flying one, for example http://www.ncgraphicarts.com/ryan/other/eagleins.gif

Even better yet, put some real thought and research into this and find or develop a far better airframe. End quote.

Pile it,
It's my opinion that this Carbon Flyer isn't aimed at your market. You are an accomplished aeromodeler, and this plane is aimed at the customer with little or no flying experience, hence the "bullet-proof" construction, and the lack of pitch control.

The old-fashion Delta paper plane platform is very inefficient aero-dynamically speaking, but it is efficient in the sense of being roll stable, which is a plus for it's intended market.

Although I am also an experienced aeromodeler, I'm a sucker for anything that flies, especially cheap ready-to-fly planes and gliders. I've had tons of fun with the Air Hogs differential thrust planes, but of course if there's any wind at all you're screwed.

It's impolite to rain on someone else's parade.
dayhead is offline Find More Posts by dayhead
Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,946 Posts
Impolite is coming here and starting an account just to advertise your lame, vaporware contraption. Let him do it elsewhere.
Gohmer is online now Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Today, 04:49 AM
Bern, Switzerland
Joined Jun 2010
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayhead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pile It View Post
Well, you could sure start with a much better airplane design!! The infantile paper glider you have copied is many centuries old, starting when paper was introduced to European school-children. If you insist on copying a paper glider, at least copy a more modern and much better flying one, for example http://www.ncgraphicarts.com/ryan/other/eagleins.gif

Even better yet, put some real thought and research into this and find or develop a far better airframe.
Pile it,
It's my opinion that this Carbon Flyer isn't aimed at your market. You are an accomplished aeromodeler, and this plane is aimed at the customer with little or no flying experience, hence the "bullet-proof" construction, and the lack of pitch control.

The old-fashion Delta paper plane platform is very inefficient aero-dynamically speaking, but it is efficient in the sense of being roll stable, which is a plus for it's intended market.

Although I am also an experienced aeromodeler, I'm a sucker for anything that flies, especially cheap ready-to-fly planes and gliders. I've had tons of fun with the Air Hogs differential thrust planes, but of course if there's any wind at all you're screwed.

It's impolite to rain on someone else's parade.
I'm with you regarding Pile its undiferenced attack. If he has so much better ideas its up to him to start his own project...
As one that restarted rc modeling after decades with airhogs i see also the drawbacks in the carbon flyer design. First you have no more control over the plane as soon as the battery goes weak. Even more as the runtime per charge is limited to 3 to 5 minutes.
I find the raw carbon look gives a valent impression, but the visibility is poor in many situations. So at least it should have an integrated emergency beeper to locate the plane if lost in tall grass or shrubbery.
I dont know how much fun it is controlling a plane by tilting a smartphone. What if a call comes in while the carbon flyer app is running?

Last question: where is the wiring to the motors? Fully integrated in the shell?
ConEx is offline Find More Posts by ConEx
Old Today, 07:30 AM
Joined Feb 2014
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonfiberflyer View Post
We .. are open to suggestions!
Apparently some folks apparently cannot either read nor understand. This person asked for suggestions, incl. stabilization. Many of Silverlit's [and thus some of Airhogs'] early 2-motor designs used some stupid engineer's idea of pendulum vs. aerodynamic stability: they used large, heavy L.G. for this pendulum stability. This is what is used in balloons, and that field is called "aerostatics". I know this may be difficult for some ignorant or improperly educated persons to clearly understand, but the word "static" implies non-movement.

"Dynamics" of course does imply movement. And that is the dynamic in "aerodynamic".

The dart-like paper glider form copied in this carbon airplane uses the weight of the double-folded lower section [flattened v] plus the low folded noseweight section for STATIC pendulum stability. The swept wings provide aerodynamic stability. However, the sharp pointed front section of the wings [in the ANCIENT design paper glider copied in this carbon plane] is not nearly so effective nor efficient as the truncated planform shown in the newer and MUCH better paper glider link I posted above.

So that is an excellent suggestion. As are the others I posted below it. This person claims to be an experienced modeler but I see no evidence of it. What I DO see is a close-minded approach that is in fact NOT open to positive and easy suggestions, despite his request.

I agree that this is his project and that the intended market is somewhat ignorant. But that is no excuse for putting out an easily improved product, because HE claims knowledge. Thus the very easy and open suggestions I posted are intended to help the performance of this product, which will help the end-user, which will help the net income from the product.

Instead, in this time of outrage over the use of FPV UAV's in public arenas, the posted video above actually SHOWING this potentially dangerous UAV flying in a sports arena! [the fact that it was empty does not legally change anything] shows that the "perpetrator" of this project is being extremely selfish and unwise. All through RCG are threads and posts about the danger to our hobby involved in the blatant misuse of UAV "drones". What do you think will happen the first time someone photographs or videos that "unbreakable" almost "strong-as-steel" pointy dart-thing in a sports arena or other public place?!

The newspapers and TV will have a field-day [that is another kind of sport, and VERY deleterious for RC and RCGroups!]

THINK
Pile It is offline Find More Posts by Pile It