HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
 
Thread Tools
Old Jan 18, 2004, 07:01 PM
pjw
Guest
n/a Posts
Beginner question

My wife recently gave me an Aerobird Challenger and, after having gotten a
lot of good tips from you kind folks, I'm doing pretty well goofing around
with the FMS R/C simulator. Now that spring's around the corner, I'm
thinking to the real thing, but have some additional thoughts:

With FMS, I've been using my joystick. At first, all I did was crash using
the slow "Silky" model. Now, I've gotten to the point where I can go around
and land on the strip. Am I kidding myself that the R/C controller will
"feel" like my MS joystick? Should I get the adaptor that uses the
controller or head for a club and do it for real?

Regardless of how adept I become with FMS, should I seek out an instructor
anyway? (I've already sent in an application to AMA)

Should I buy a less expensive model to ruin before I ruin my wife's gift?
<g> Of course, the other question that arises is: Will she be PO's when if
I don't fly the model she got me...but that's my own dilemma.

Regards!

Paul W.
NJ

p.s. When I was 11, I got a RTF Aroura L-19 Bird Dog for my birthday -
1959, no R/C then. My sister took me to a ball field and I managed to get
the .049 started (with a fat finger the next day). Approx 15 seconds later,
there I was in tears with a wrecked plane. Hope I have a guts not to cry if
this happens again at 55. <GGG>


Old Jan 18, 2004, 07:02 PM
Vance Howard
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Beginner question

Get the adapter to use your transmitter to control the simulator. Also get
an instructor when you go out to the field. I haven't flown the Aerobird
Challenger, or that type of plane, so I can't comment on that.
"pjw" <pwolsko@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:5KBOb.2723$OM2.826493@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net ...
> My wife recently gave me an Aerobird Challenger and, after having gotten a
> lot of good tips from you kind folks, I'm doing pretty well goofing around
> with the FMS R/C simulator. Now that spring's around the corner, I'm
> thinking to the real thing, but have some additional thoughts:
>
> With FMS, I've been using my joystick. At first, all I did was crash

using
> the slow "Silky" model. Now, I've gotten to the point where I can go

around
> and land on the strip. Am I kidding myself that the R/C controller will
> "feel" like my MS joystick? Should I get the adaptor that uses the
> controller or head for a club and do it for real?
>
> Regardless of how adept I become with FMS, should I seek out an instructor
> anyway? (I've already sent in an application to AMA)
>
> Should I buy a less expensive model to ruin before I ruin my wife's gift?
> <g> Of course, the other question that arises is: Will she be PO's when

if
> I don't fly the model she got me...but that's my own dilemma.
>
> Regards!
>
> Paul W.
> NJ
>
> p.s. When I was 11, I got a RTF Aroura L-19 Bird Dog for my birthday -
> 1959, no R/C then. My sister took me to a ball field and I managed to get
> the .049 started (with a fat finger the next day). Approx 15 seconds

later,
> there I was in tears with a wrecked plane. Hope I have a guts not to cry

if
> this happens again at 55. <GGG>
>
>



---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.563 / Virus Database: 355 - Release Date: 1/17/2004


Old Jan 18, 2004, 07:02 PM
MikeF
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Beginner question

The parallel adapter for FMS is cheap - and a very good thing. I would NOT recommend a
joystick, as you'll quickly have to re-learn the controls - when it really counts!

I have been ruining my first plane (hehe...) for two months now - the GWS slowstick - and
she holds up to crashes rather well.
Shes been crashed maybe 40 times by now, and damage (that couldnt be repaired with epoxy &
packing tape) has been limited to propellers and bent prop shafts.

I will get a .40 trainer aloft soon, but i will approach a local club for help. With the
skills i picked up from the 'stick, my training should go rather well, instead of me being
a bungling idiot just wasting an instructors time.

G/L, mike


"pjw" <pwolsko@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:5KBOb.2723$OM2.826493@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net ...
> My wife recently gave me an Aerobird Challenger and, after having gotten a
> lot of good tips from you kind folks, I'm doing pretty well goofing around
> with the FMS R/C simulator. Now that spring's around the corner, I'm
> thinking to the real thing, but have some additional thoughts:
>
> With FMS, I've been using my joystick. At first, all I did was crash using
> the slow "Silky" model. Now, I've gotten to the point where I can go around
> and land on the strip. Am I kidding myself that the R/C controller will
> "feel" like my MS joystick? Should I get the adaptor that uses the
> controller or head for a club and do it for real?
>
> Regardless of how adept I become with FMS, should I seek out an instructor
> anyway? (I've already sent in an application to AMA)
>
> Should I buy a less expensive model to ruin before I ruin my wife's gift?
> <g> Of course, the other question that arises is: Will she be PO's when if
> I don't fly the model she got me...but that's my own dilemma.
>
> Regards!
>
> Paul W.
> NJ
>
> p.s. When I was 11, I got a RTF Aroura L-19 Bird Dog for my birthday -
> 1959, no R/C then. My sister took me to a ball field and I managed to get
> the .049 started (with a fat finger the next day). Approx 15 seconds later,
> there I was in tears with a wrecked plane. Hope I have a guts not to cry if
> this happens again at 55. <GGG>
>
>



Old Jan 18, 2004, 07:02 PM
PCPhill
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Beginner question

Not to throw cold water on the interface idea, but does the Aerobird come
with a "real" transmitter with a trainer port?
It loks like it comes with a basic 27Mhz transmitter, but I couldn't find
the specifics.....

PCPhill


"MikeF" <vanning@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:84ydnfRZG5b4ZZfd4p2dnA@comcast.com...
> The parallel adapter for FMS is cheap - and a very good thing. I would NOT

recommend a
> joystick, as you'll quickly have to re-learn the controls - when it really

counts!
>
> I have been ruining my first plane (hehe...) for two months now - the GWS

slowstick - and
> she holds up to crashes rather well.
> Shes been crashed maybe 40 times by now, and damage (that couldnt be

repaired with epoxy &
> packing tape) has been limited to propellers and bent prop shafts.
>
> I will get a .40 trainer aloft soon, but i will approach a local club for

help. With the
> skills i picked up from the 'stick, my training should go rather well,

instead of me being
> a bungling idiot just wasting an instructors time.
>
> G/L, mike
>



Old Jan 18, 2004, 07:02 PM
astroflyer
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Beginner question

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:58:43 -0500, "PCPhill" <ptr@beadbimbo.com>
wrote:

>Not to throw cold water on the interface idea, but does the Aerobird come
>with a "real" transmitter with a trainer port?
>It loks like it comes with a basic 27Mhz transmitter, but I couldn't find
>the specifics.....


yes, they have the basic transmitter and there is no way to hook up
the FMS interface. They do fly quite well though for what they are,
and they are very tough! I've seen a couple of guys at our club beat
them to death and they still keep kicking.

the two channel version is harder to fly as the controls are not what
we're used to but the three channel ones are pretty darned good.
decent flight times too. add an extra cell to the pack in the three
channel one and it really starts to sing.

cheers
astroflyer

park flyer plans
www.eastwindmodels.com

 


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beginner Question re: Transmitter mrstormy Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 5 Dec 01, 2002 06:46 PM
Question Beginner question Moishe Fuel Heli Talk 2 Jul 18, 2002 09:20 PM
Beginner question Spankster Electric Plane Talk 1 Jun 30, 2001 01:40 AM