HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:11 AM
Farnborough, Hampshire, England.
Joined Jan 2002
2,133 Posts
Discussion
Guillow's ARROW , another R/C conversion.

I have been gifted an ARROW free flight model made by Paul Guillow.

A couple of questions that need to be sorted before I start,
1/ Should I make the stab as flat flat as opposed to the lifting section as per the kit?
2/ What should be the side and down thrust of the motor?
3/ What is the balance point now this is E powered R/C?

This is my power set up, with a couple of 30 gram 2 cell lipo.and of course the lightest 3.7gram servos.

The build won't start now, but hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Ian
farnboro flyer is offline Find More Posts by farnboro flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:01 PM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Hi, Ian. You still working on this? I started a build thread for an Arrow conversion here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1878982

It has links in it to other Arrow conversions as well. I'm a relative noob to RC, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt, but I've done a lot of research, and I don't think I'm too far off.

To answer your questions:

1. I chose to build the stab flat, as I think many RCers would, to eliminate difficulties in trimming for different power levels.

2. Typically recommended thrust angle range seems to be 1-3 degrees for each axis, erring on the low side for low-power models like this. I will probably aim for 1.5.

3. Without the lifting tail, the balance point for any flying model should be near the center of lift of the wing. This is typically near the point of maximum thickness, or about 25-33% of the chord from the leading edge.

It also seems aircraft are usually built with some positive dacalage between the wing and tail (i.e. wing angled up 1-2 relative to the horizontal stab) to give a slightly positive angle of attack in level flight, but I haven't yet decided anything on this. I expect I'll build it with zero decalage as shown on the plans (I believe...?), and shim the front of the wing cradle if it seems like she needs up elevator to fly level with the C.G. in the conventional range.

Cheers,
Dave
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Old May 13, 2013, 04:29 PM
Farnborough, Hampshire, England.
Joined Jan 2002
2,133 Posts
Dave,
Nope, not started on this one yet.............too much in the pipeline!

I have tried the larger of the two motors in a 9oz Sky Hawk from Hobby King............it pulls that around the sky pretty well.So I will use the smaller red one.

Thanks for the link to your build, I am checking that one out!

Ian
farnboro flyer is offline Find More Posts by farnboro flyer
Old May 13, 2013, 04:50 PM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Hi Ian,

Sounds good. I'm subscribed, and will keep an eye out for updates.

Incidentally, since my last post, I've discovered that the nose has approx. 2.5 of downthrust designed in, and I'll probably set up my motor to follow that. I also found that the formers that make up the front section of the fuselage side frames and wing saddle have some positive incidence designed in vs. the flat upper longeron which is in line with the horizontal stabilizer.
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy