HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2011, 07:44 PM
Oakland, CA
Joined Jun 2009
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
This is the Newb thread for Newbs that buy Champs.
Are you a newb? Coz only then would your argument be valid

Just saying homie!
issr7 is offline Find More Posts by issr7
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:17 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Aug 2010
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
vj,

What part of MA are you in?

I looked over their stuff (RCTimer out of Hong Kong) and saw 61 different sales for servos, but nothing that was the slide-style of the Champ or PKZ micros.

Question: What would happen if I wired one of these into the Champ and hot-glued it directly behind the brick? I mean, I DO have a P-51 motor and a 5043 prop, so the weight won't be an issue - especially since Champ1 is nose-heavy.
Please look at these:
eBay Servo Example

Only problem is that these are 3-wire and our Champs have 2 leads. So what wire goes where?

Thanks for the link, vijay127! I like this seller.

**** This Champ was my 1st-ever plane. Back when I got sick and tired of flying SYMA S107's and my Blade mSR around the house because of the wind, I sheepishly bought the Champ. (Heli guys call us "Plankers." ) So I am not above spending a little $$ to keep this great, life-changing lil' bird running well and looking good. I don't think I will ever toss it in a trash can. I swear this plane is alive - at least in my aging, twisted mind.
I ordered the 1.5g linear servo that isn't listed anymore:
2 X RC Timer 1.5g replacement Servo Mechanics

It was $6 shipped and was the replacement for the servo on board. My options at the time were buy that servo, or new 5 in 1 for $50 or a fuse with electronics (which costs less than just the board)

I ended up with these servos and a second champ while I waited

I'm in southeastern mass near Rhode island.

But it looks like you have the hh part number. I didn't know there was an official replacement. Anyway the swap out was easy, does require some delicate soldering but not too bad.
vijay127 is offline Find More Posts by vijay127
Last edited by vijay127; Apr 18, 2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: added reference to official part
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:02 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
I don't think I could solder on something that small. I would melt everything...

I also don't have a very good soldering setup either tho...
Viper82 is offline Find More Posts by Viper82
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:18 PM
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Nov 2007
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad copter View Post
mattman, congrats on the new champ and welcome to the club..that noise you are hearing is prob the same noise that's been spoke about before.around 1/4-1/2 throttle?? kind of a skipping/vibrating noise?? mine does the same as well as many others..i believe it's normal..not sure what it is but they all seem to do it. so don't worrry and have fun!!
Thanks Brad Copter for confirming the noise from the gearbox is normal. I just wanted to make sure that something did not need to be tightened.
mattman is offline Find More Posts by mattman
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:48 PM
Tip stallin around town..
USA, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Nov 2010
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
Thanks Brad Copter for confirming the noise from the gearbox is normal. I just wanted to make sure that something did not need to be tightened.
no your good brother..i have had 4 different motors and 3 different gearbox's in my champ and the noise has been with me since day one..i have yet to figure out exactly what it actually is.i've gone as far as stared at the motor and gearbox with a magnifying glass while i throttled up and down over and over till my eyes burned..nope, couldn't figure it out. even though it's normal, my ocd wants an answer..lol
brad copter is offline Find More Posts by brad copter
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:10 PM
Tip stallin around town..
USA, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Nov 2010
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper82 View Post
I don't think I could solder on something that small. I would melt everything...

I also don't have a very good soldering setup either tho...
i soldered a motor lead to my 120sr brick once.. i was sweating, shaking and almost threw up from the stress..it worked and came out ok but i really hope i never have to do that again.
brad copter is offline Find More Posts by brad copter
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:13 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
I would check to make sure the nut on the rear of the prop shaft has worked a little loose. On my new gearbox after about 8 flights I noticed it was a little louder.. Nut had worked loose a little. Don't over tighten it tho... you want it tight, but make sure the shaft is easy to turn. The shaft is probably sliding back and forth a little, mine was.

Fixed my noise.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:25 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
Quote:
i soldered a motor lead to my 120sr brick once.. i was sweating, shaking and almost threw up from the stress..it worked and came out ok but i really hope i never have to do that again.
I've never soldered on a brick or any pcb it would probably end bad, but I did solder my t plug on my f-86 esc while it was still in the plane.. with hardly any slack. I know what you mean by stressful.
I was worried I'd drop hot solder on it or splatter off and melt it...
So I covered it with a damp rag

I've grabbed the metal on the iron 3 times too... I always learn the hard way... Last time I did it it was on high and I didn't even feel it for a second... heard it sizzling first...... felt it next... and then lots of

I've been doing some heavy repair work tonight on my planes...
Tail removed from Champ. probably put new on b4 bed.
BN2 had to have everything fixed except for starboard wing. Cart wheel of death.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:34 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
Quote:
no your good brother..i have had 4 different motors and 3 different gearbox's in my champ and the noise has been with me since day one..i have yet to figure out exactly what it actually is.i've gone as far as stared at the motor and gearbox with a magnifying glass while i throttled up and down over and over till my eyes burned..nope, couldn't figure it out. even though it's normal, my ocd wants an answer..lol
Brad,

Don't know if I should toy with your ocd, but check out this sweet UM BB gearbox that TODD makes.
Just scroll down on his blog page to EMBER Brushless.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=234845

I have one and it's better than the pics.

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:35 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,017 Posts
Got my warranty 120SR 5&1 today. Those Horizon guys are great. Just finished putting it right again and even blessed her with some new main blades! Now everything in the hanger is just waiting for the wind and rain to move on to you guys! The new T-28 um is waiting to lose it's virginity and the Champ........well it's being what a Champ does. Looking cool and ready to go. Going to see the brother in-law Sunday and will stun the old U-line pilot with the Champ. He'll be blown away by the technolgy in flying we enjoy today!
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:33 AM
CRASH, FIX, REPEAT
United States, KY, Bardstown
Joined Apr 2010
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Got my warranty 120SR 5&1 today. Those Horizon guys are great. Just finished putting it right again and even blessed her with some new main blades! Now everything in the hanger is just waiting for the wind and rain to move on to you guys! The new T-28 um is waiting to lose it's virginity and the Champ........well it's being what a Champ does. Looking cool and ready to go. Going to see the brother in-law Sunday and will stun the old U-line pilot with the Champ. He'll be blown away by the technolgy in flying we enjoy today!
Glad to hear they took care of you! When I purchased my B400 it had a very bad vibration. Sent it back to Horizion and they replaced the main shaft, problem fixed. Even gave me a spare main shaft in the box as they come in a package of two. +1 to HH
helibard is offline Find More Posts by helibard
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:56 AM
CRASH, FIX, REPEAT
United States, KY, Bardstown
Joined Apr 2010
937 Posts
Well Blue, my wife said Happy Anniversary today and told me to go pick up the T-28, cant wait to get it home. 20mph winds here in KY today so no flyin. Need some calm days here for some fun. This spring has been terrible with the wind.
helibard is offline Find More Posts by helibard
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:08 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helibard View Post
Well Blue, my wife said Happy Anniversary today and told me to go pick up the T-28, cant wait to get it home. 20mph winds here in KY today so no flyin. Need some calm days here for some fun. This spring has been terrible with the wind.
Helibard,
Happy anniversary and welcome to the "Champ-guys-who-love-T-28s Club."

Just got back in from flying both and even though the wind was easily @ 10MPH toward the end, the T-28 flew through it and fought it like it was on a mission!
What a fantastic-flying little machine.

Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:11 AM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
If she just said T-28.... get the big one....

Sounds like to me, the champ is converting alot of Heli pilots to plank pilots

I know it got me... Put me outta the heli business.

Bout time for a Champ V2. or something new, maybe a UM Beaver

Man... that would be so cool... and come with floats... Only in my dreams..
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:37 AM
Callsign: Zulu
Somewhere in the skies!
Joined Feb 2011
656 Posts
You are making me drool bout that t-28. Does that nitroplanes one come from fms too, like a lot of their other planes?
Stuka_99 is offline Find More Posts by Stuka_99