SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 10, 2013, 02:56 AM
Joined Jun 2013
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspencer View Post
The esc's are a possible source of problems. I've certainly had a couple esc's early in multicopter flying that weren't fast enough response wise. Besides the wiring to the controller board there is no reason that I can see why it should not fly. Its either a faulty board or the esc's. There really isn't anything else it could be. The only reason your sport board would smoke is improper wiring or faulty board.
I think something might have been damaged on that last crash, when I actually had it off the ground a bit. It slammed the ground, and broke 2 props and was still trying to spin the props up. Good thing I had the kill switch on the bottom.

I ordered a new board, and I'm going to be waiting for that to get here now for a while.

If you look close at the ESC's you won't see Turnigy name. That is because those are the Store brand of Turnigy. But they say they are the same, just the name was different, and they were a little cheaper. They still use a Programming card.
vector57 is offline Find More Posts by vector57
Last edited by vector57; Sep 11, 2013 at 05:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2013, 01:35 AM
Thornleigh - 20k N of Sydney,N.S.W.,AUSTRALIA
Joined Aug 2001
746 Posts
EPA how to in mQX quad

Deleted ... Re-posted in DX8 &Dx7s Help and Support Thread.
Little Black Duck is offline Find More Posts by Little Black Duck
Last edited by Little Black Duck; Oct 13, 2013 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Ref above.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 05:28 AM
Joined Jun 2013
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Black Duck View Post
Deleted ... Re-posted in DX8 &Dx7s Help and Support Thread.
G'Day Daffy. I ran into the same problem, I guess you can see that already.

Heres what I found. No matter how much I tried to modify the settings, if they were not set to 100% the damn thing would not arm...I'm not sure if you can set the EXP to Negative numbers, but if you can, that might be a way to go.

It seems the input almost needs to be flat out, but I don't know enough about the radio to make that happen. And without a Test jig of some kind to hover around the room, I'm still not learning anything.

Currently, I have wasted so much money on this thing, it's become a giant paper weight.

You might try setting one of the switches so it cuts the EXP of all channels to a negative, From normal. Maybe if you can get it to arm, then switch to lesser, it might fly. Good Luck Mate, I'll be watching your progress
Old Oct 18, 2013, 07:10 PM
Joined Jun 2013
98 Posts
Going a different Road

Well, it's been a while, and I am finally AIRBOURN.

Sorry to say it, but after Many Failed attempts at getting my HF Sport to get off the ground, I removed it and set it on a shelf.

I purchased one of those FY-901 flight controllers from Hobby king, and installed it, Never moved a singly thing except for the X switch, and guess what, IT FLIES, and I never even had to set ANY of the Sub Trims. PLUG AND PLAY All the way.

Pretty soon, I will make a video
Old Oct 19, 2013, 07:19 AM
Joined Jun 2013
98 Posts
The only thing I had to figure out was, the 901 would not arm with my radio turned on. I don't understand that, but I turned the TX (DX7) off, and let the 901 arm it's self, then turned on the TX and it all worked like it was made to do. All the settings on my DX7 are factory Default settings except for the Model type and name. I'm in acro mode.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 06:21 AM
Joined Jun 2013
98 Posts
I wish I knew why the HF Sport board would not fly like the FY-901 does. If I could get it figured out, I have another quad to mount it to.

I shot a quick video hovering in my front yard with the same quad I have had trouble with, with the HF board. It now uses the FY901 flight stab controller, and flies normally.

My only problem now is my battery keeps getting a bit too hot. Maybe I'm using too small a battery.

I am using an 11.1V and 4.5 AH LiPo (4500 mah) I ordered some 6500 mah batteries. Should I be using a higher voltage rating?
Old Nov 06, 2013, 10:11 AM
Flight Instructor
Chico, CA
Joined Jun 2008
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vector57 View Post
I wish I knew why the HF Sport board would not fly like the FY-901 does. If I could get it figured out, I have another quad to mount it to.

I shot a quick video hovering in my front yard with the same quad I have had trouble with, with the HF board. It now uses the FY901 flight stab controller, and flies normally.

My only problem now is my battery keeps getting a bit too hot. Maybe I'm using too small a battery.

I am using an 11.1V and 4.5 AH LiPo (4500 mah) I ordered some 6500 mah batteries. Should I be using a higher voltage rating?
It sucks about the hoverfly board. You might have a defective board. If your hoverfly board was working properly you would really like it. As far as the heated battery goes that depends on the current your drawing (amps). A bigger capacity battery might not make this better since it will be even heavier, making the motors work harder and make the current go even higher. What C rate and brand is your battery? What KV motors and props are you using?
mspencer is offline Find More Posts by mspencer
Old Nov 06, 2013, 10:16 AM
Flight Instructor
Chico, CA
Joined Jun 2008
684 Posts
Lipo Temperature

Is the Lipo getting too hot to touch or just very warm?
Old Nov 06, 2013, 10:21 AM
Joined Jun 2013
98 Posts
The LiPo is getting just Warm. The C is 20 @ 11.1V

It's the HF Sport, and has Never worked properly. It has been Upgraded since then to the FY-901. You can see all the posts in the HF forum. those guys must have hated me after all that. They kept me buying and checking for a couple weeks, and still never got off the ground till I got the FY-901 controller.

And the FY-901 cable won't work on Windows 8 platform, so I never got the chance to Upgrade the firmware.
Last edited by vector57; Nov 06, 2013 at 11:48 AM. Reason: I guess I am a natural Blond. DUH
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:08 PM
Flight Instructor
Chico, CA
Joined Jun 2008
684 Posts
I've followed this post and I've made some posts to you before. A warm lipo is fine. If the plastic wrap is deforming that might indicate a high temperature. Its sucks you have such a bad run with the Hoverfly board. After all the troubleshooting I and others helped you through and couldn't get it working it would have to be the board itself. The hoverfly sport is super easy to setup. As long as you have the correct firmware flashed there is nothing else to setup. Its the most solid and accurate flying manual controller i've ever used. Sorry for the bad run of luck with it.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 06:08 PM
Joined Jun 2013
98 Posts
Sorry, I remember you now. And those ESC's and the programming of them was one of the main problems. I got the Turnigy Clones from HobbyKing, and the programming card, and set it all up the way you guys said, and that Fixed that problem. I went to a TWO blade 8 in. prop, and I balanced them, but one was still a little off. It didn't effect the flying, but on a video with sound, you could hear it vibrate once in a while. I changed back to three blade props, and vibration went away, and I gained some stability. BUT, I never got any AIR, till I changed the controller. Sorry I pushed our friendship to the limit, but I was a bit frustrated, I had soooo much money in it, and still couldn't get it off the ground.
Old Nov 08, 2013, 01:28 AM
Joined Jun 2013
98 Posts
Just got my New batteries in. I ordered 4 new 5000 mah 45C. I plan to run two on each quad, or just keep a spare set to reduce down time. They are called Zippy.

And just to let you know, I was not trying to be deceptive about the ESC's. It's just at the time, you and that other fellow were hitting me kind of hard about Turnigy ESC's, and the HobbyKing Turnigy clones were cheaper and I could afford them.

I also made a mistake. I thought I ordered the 6500 mah, but I got 5000 mah. I could have sworn I ordered the larger capacity batteries.