HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:44 AM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
712 Posts
Question
Century Swift NX vs Century Swift Carbon

I am looking to do a spring/summer build & trying to put together a birthday list before hand... I have flown (& destroyed) a pair of hk450s, no sim time & bad kits & cheap tail setups. Not going to make those mistakes again. Have working sim & loving it (most of the 450 crashes were tail lock-up, but a couple were orientation failures on my part). Toying with 450/500/550, not liking the clone options. When I saw the Swifts I thought "Yea I can build one of those without worry, long proven platform, stable size, 4s setup (maybe?)."

Help me ponder the possibilities & answer some gnawing questions:
Why is the NX more expensive than the Carbon?
What makes them soo different?
Are the carbon & alloy bits lesser than their plastic counterparts?
For a scale/sport setup which is better?
What tail setup (gyro/servo/blades) would be best for scale/sport flight?
What motor/ESC/SBEC do gentle flyers put in a Swift?

I have a nearly mint Futaba 6EXAP 72mhz ch49 TX kit that has 4 s3151 servos & the R168DF RX. I know this is the 'plane' version of the TX, I think the ratchet can be removed, if not I have a 9x with er9x & can buy a reliable module. I have seen the servos on many Swift cyclic setups (not upto 3D service, but for scale/sport) so I know those will work.

TIA,
~psguardin
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:40 AM
Committed heli addict...
Joined Jan 2010
675 Posts
Why is the NX more expensive than the Carbon? > The NX has a better design over the 16 and the Carbon doesnt come with rotors, the NX comes with woods.

What makes them soo different? > The NX is a design improvement over the 16. This includes a nose mounted battery tray, driven tail, A arm elevator and skids. You can nose mount a battery with the 16, Carbon and 620SE, but it is more practical to undersling the pack. The Carbon is a 16 with cf frames and some alloy componenets, driven tail and A arm elevator. The 620SE is a long boom 16 with cf and alloy components and the option for double stacked main gear for >6S and you can swing +/-620mm rotors.

Are the carbon & alloy bits lesser than their plastic counterparts? > Don't let the plastic fool you, it is strong. I recomend if buying a 16, Carbon or 620SE to upgrade to the cne612 skids from the nx. Much tougher for those who land hard. The alloys look nice though.

For a scale/sport setup which is better? > Century has scale kits for all their large helis. Which is better is debatable.

What tail setup (gyro/servo/blades) would be best for scale/sport flight? > I've used spek ds821 on cyclic and tail with a gy401 gyro without issue. The ds821 is a pretty basic servo.

What motor/ESC/SBEC do gentle flyers put in a Swift? Depends on what setup you plan to use. For 6S and 1800rpm gov I have used 800KV, 11-13T with a 100A cc ice. Others have used just a 75A with 4S-6S and 500KV-1100KV setups.

Check out these threads:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880848

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1251234

phoenixheli is offline Find More Posts by phoenixheli
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:42 PM
Joined Jan 2012
712 Posts
Well that nailed most every question in one shot! Thanks :-)
438pg of reading to do, ugh LoL.

~psguardian
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:52 AM
Joined Dec 2007
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psguardian View Post
Help me ponder the possibilities & answer some gnawing questions:
Why is the NX more expensive than the Carbon?
What makes them soo different?
Are the carbon & alloy bits lesser than their plastic counterparts?
For a scale/sport setup which is better?
What tail setup (gyro/servo/blades) would be best for scale/sport flight?
What motor/ESC/SBEC do gentle flyers put in a Swift?

I have a nearly mint Futaba 6EXAP 72mhz ch49 TX kit that has 4 s3151 servos & the R168DF RX. I know this is the 'plane' version of the TX, I think the ratchet can be removed, if not I have a 9x with er9x & can buy a reliable module. I have seen the servos on many Swift cyclic setups (not upto 3D service, but for scale/sport) so I know those will work.

TIA,
~psguardin
First related to the current price. The new lower price of the Carbon 550SE is because it is now discontinued. It used to cost a lot more.

The Carbon 550 SE was the upmarket version of the previous Swift 16. The 550SE had a stiffer carbon frame, machine metal main bearing seats, a triple bearing mainshaft support system, a machined metal motor mount system, machined elevator bellcrank system and a machined main rotor hub.

The current Swift NX is basically the V2 version of the discontinued plastic framed Swift 16, with some of the features of the Carbon 550SE incorporated into its plastic frame...features like the tail driven auto system and the triple bearinged support of the mainshaft.

In a nutshell, I found the new NX to basically be an improved plastic framed version of the Swift 16, with a bigger canopy to accomodate the new forward battery position that is now located on a slanted tray in the front instead of on the underside fo the frame. The NX also comes with more heavy duty landing gear then did the 550SE or 16.

I have a good deal of flying time on both - the Carbon Swift 550SE and the newer Swift NX.

The Swift Carbon SE is a superior heli in a number of ways. due to the features listed above - carbon frame, machined bearing seats, motor mount and rotor hub, which result in more longevity and precision. These features do make it more costly to repair then the 16 or NX.

The carbon frame set is also a lot more parts intensive to build, then is the plastiic frame of the NX. And the elevator bellcrank assembly much more critical to assemble properly. Also of consequence, is the bigger canopy of the NX is a lot more visible then was the smaller one from the 16 and 550SE.

They are both great flying 550 sized electric helis. So when one considers this and the ease of build and set up of the current NX relative to the SE, and standard pricing (though higher), then the current NX is still a great heli for the price.

As for your proposed radio gear, it will work as I believe the 6XEA TX does have the heli firmware and I also think you can turn over the spring on the throttle stick to give a friction rather then a ratchet movement.
Cyclick is offline Find More Posts by Cyclick
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:25 AM
Joined Jan 2012
712 Posts
Wow Thanks! I was wondering why a CF/Alloy kit was less than a Plastic kit.

****BONUS****
I have been green-lighted by the family accountant (a.k.a. the wife) to do a full Swift build, if that's what I want, for my b-day! I told her the Plug-&-Play kit was $550 & she said ok as long as it flies better than the last one (hk450gt).

What is the difference in the P&P vs the NX + parts?

~psguardian
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:38 PM
Joined Dec 2007
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psguardian View Post
Wow Thanks! I was wondering why a CF/Alloy kit was less than a Plastic kit.

****BONUS****
I have been green-lighted by the family accountant (a.k.a. the wife) to do a full Swift build, if that's what I want, for my b-day! I told her the Plug-&-Play kit was $550 & she said ok as long as it flies better than the last one (hk450gt).

What is the difference in the P&P vs the NX + parts?

~psguardian
Check out post #6764 here in this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post23949321

I agree with everything rotoraddict had to say about the RTF kit, which is the same as the P&P kit except the RTF comes with a TX & RX.

The mechanics are great, the power system is OK, though at the low end for the Swift, but the servos and gyro are far to low quality for a heli of this size.

You would be better off getting the Swift NX with a similar low power system and equiping it with even the most basic $14.00 Futaba S-148 servos, the basic Futaba GY240 gyro and a better battery pack and charger. And I do not think it would cost you much more.
Cyclick is offline Find More Posts by Cyclick
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:34 PM
Joined Jan 2012
712 Posts
I was hoping the RTF would be better than my S3151s... Better to find out now, too bad they don't list servos on the site.

I'm 30pg into the 'small' swift thread LoL. So far it looks like I am going to be after a HS of 1500-1700 for my kind of flying. I am thinking of theStandard Electric System Pack kit from Century, seems like a good deal for $150. Add to that some ~400gr 4s packs. (someone was running a 550gr pack with a counter weight under the gyro!) I should be able to get some respectable flight time out of a 4s that large (thinking 5000mah+).

Thoughts?

~psguardian
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:55 AM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
Selling My Nx if anyone is interested...... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post24028620
gs550t1981 is offline Find More Posts by gs550t1981
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:58 PM
SUCK LESS
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,583 Posts
On the NX - since the battery sits further forward there are less CG issues than with the Swift 16 or Carbon. I really like the NX - it was my first 550. I recently picked up a new Swift 16 for $100 (clearance) and after building it can vouch for the improvements made in the NX - they're worth it. Not that I don't like the 16, it's just it took more tinkering to build it (little side projects & mods to get things just right), where the NX pretty much has those issues solved. Both great helis, as I'm sure the Carbon is as well.

Good luck and enjoy!
FR4-Pilot is online now Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Feb 04, 2013 at 06:08 PM.