I see, is the fuse 2.4G friendly?
vil64 is online now Find More Posts by vil64
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:51 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,133 Posts
Yep, its fiberglass with minimal carbon fiber.
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:08 AM
Joined Nov 2012
208 Posts
would you recommend getting separate power supply for RX and servos for this ship? Should I ask, is there enough room to fit extra battery, so I could run small switch externally to arm & disarm while performing wing assembly?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:07 AM
Joined Nov 2012
208 Posts
I have received the beast today. It took 2 days. It's a very nice workmanship, was checking all components making sure there's no damage.
First impression: pluses- nicely packed in hard reinforced cardboard box, looking very sleek, well built, nice looking ship.
minuses- all linkages to moving surfaces have quite unpleasant slop. I'd say the holes are too big for the clevis pins. It looks like I'll have to replace them 'cos the movement is over 2mm:
Theoretically, it is plug 'n fly but in reality it's not. You can't just wack it together specially if you want to make it last.

Cheers
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:52 AM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,220 Posts
vil64.

can you post LINKS on the newer clevis your going to get
so there is no slop?
Thank you
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:11 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,133 Posts
This is strange, my plane has no slop in any of the control surfaces, none at all. The holes are drilled small and the clevises fit very well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Nov 2012
208 Posts
I bought one when they had week special for $530 (or something). I wonder if they had a few dodgy ones in stock, they needed to get rid off. The amount of slop is just unacceptable. It's the cheapest of all components and the most crucial. I'm not sure what clevices I'll get, need to pull it apart and inspect it in a close up. Didn't get much time last night I'm working some crazy hours but tonight I'll get to it and post some pics.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Nov 2012
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post
vil64.

can you post LINKS on the newer clevis your going to get
so there is no slop?
Thank you
No worries, I'll post some pics when I decide what to put in there.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:57 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,391 Posts
Jump over to the hawk/wilco/tiger etc build threads on the high-performance forum. Youll learn much over there, even have a read through the build threads of stuff like the Enigma/Alex etc (which is the next step in airframe)

Building and setting up a high performance model, even a low end one, has a bunch of tricks/tips and must dos that ya average toy plane nut wont be aware of. Welcome to the addiction

Depending on how much slop there is, "liquid shim" AKA as CA dripped on the sloppy joint, which fills up any gap around the clevis, then broken free is enough to fix a lot. (it sounds rough, but works great)

And YES, run a seperate Rx pack. Its not worth the risk of a smoking hole in the ground to spare 30 grams.
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Last edited by jackosmeister; Nov 23, 2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Nov 2012
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Jump over to the hawk/wilco/tiger etc build threads on the high-performance forum. Youll learn much over there, even have a read through the build threads of stuff like the Enigma/Alex etc (which is the next step in airframe)

Building and setting up a high performance model, even a low end one, has a bunch of tricks/tips and must dos that ya average toy plane nut wont be aware of. Welcome to the addiction

Depending on how much slop there is, "liquid shim" AKA as CA dripped on the sloppy joint, which fills up any gap around the clevis, then broken free is enough to fix a lot. (it sounds rough, but works great)

And YES, run a seperate Rx pack. Its not worth the risk of a smoking hole in the ground to spare 30 grams.
Thanks Jacko, it seems like these are almost identical airframes. Wilco,Tiger, Eagle. I didn't realise there's a bunch of building threads on these. So I have a lot of reading to do. CA is a great tip but not in my case. Ailerons move over 2mm, same as elevator. I almost feel like changing those aileron brass horns for a phenolic ones , same as my Comp Arf Extra.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:04 AM
Joined Nov 2012
208 Posts
OK guys, I have pulled the aileron servo covers off and yes as I expected, holes on both horn and servo arms are drilled just too big. I don't know who did the assembly on this one but it wasn't modeller. Clevises on link arms were left lose without adding CA. You can see on two pics the amount of slop that comes clearly from oversize holes. The rudder link arm is big as well, so now I have to strip everything. I don't even trust them with motor. I will take the spinner off and inspect the mounting. What is this plug 'n fly bull.....t. I'll never do that again on this level.
Anyway, sorry I had to vent a bit.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:57 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,391 Posts
Yikes thems are big holes.

I assume youve flicked apachobby an email?, im sure theyll put it right for you.
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:47 AM
Joined Nov 2012
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Yikes thems are big holes.

I assume youve flicked apachobby an email?, im sure theyll put it right for you.
Sure I did.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:10 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,133 Posts
Yikes is right! That sucks. Looks like they are using a different control surface horn as well; mine has a sort of layered fiberglass horn molded in. Luckily, that one on yours screws in and is easily replaceable.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:34 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Jet reamer set, not drill is the right tool for trimming that kind of holes where zero slop is the target.

http://www.louis.de/index.php?topic=...003930&lang=en

Eats plastic, fiberglass, brass etc. They are conical hand held reamers.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12