SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:06 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Discussion
Why is ezosd better than others?

I see many buy the ezosd and I was wondering why?. There are less expencive osd units on the market. What makes the ezosd most peoples choice?
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:55 AM
------------
Wielka Brytania, Anglia, Derbyshire
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
Well i think that it isnt any better than cheap stuff, there is option for ez tracker - thats why its more expensive:-)
jsxx is offline Find More Posts by jsxx
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:18 AM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
I think people go for it because its compatible with the other products made by immersionrc. Also I think many of the OSD's out there end up easily cluttering your video so keeping to the essentials is good in my opinion.
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:27 AM
I Like Popcorn
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Oct 2009
2,040 Posts
I would not say that the EzOSD is the peoples choice.
DOSD has more to offer (amongst others) than EzOSD but its not as plug n play friendly which makes the EzOSD attractive to immersion users.
flylite is offline Find More Posts by flylite
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:50 AM
Italy, Veneto
Joined Jun 2004
205 Posts
Ahhh I see my friend Flylite beat me to it!

I fly all IRC equipment (their vtx's are sometimes excluded tho). Why? I think I started with it because the "plug and play" was appealling to me because I work so much that I didn't have time to jack with stuff. I stuck with IRC because each piece of equipment builds or compliments the others. I have several airborne rigs, all with IRC, and three of them with EzUHF. I have two GS's that each run the EzTracker, one for LP one for CP.
There are flyers that mix and match equipment and I am in awe of them for being able to learn that, I jsut don't have the time or the inclination to do that. Once I learned the IRC setup and how easy it was, I just added others and now depending one what I want to do that day, dictates which setup I take out with me.

Hope this helps.
Twawsi2 is offline Find More Posts by Twawsi2
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:07 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
I see! so most are willing to pay the extra $70.00 or so for the plug and play convenience. I was hoping the reason was quality performance. So, all ODDs are the same but others take more work to get going. I understand
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:20 AM
I Like Popcorn
Joined Oct 2009
2,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
I see! so most are willing to pay the extra $70.00 or so for the plug and play convenience. I was hoping the reason was quality performance. So, all ODDs are the same but others take more work to get going. I understand
No, OSD's features and standards are quite different amongst the brands/models as to the way they display their data, its just that some are a little more noob friendly/user friendly, I use noob as some OSD's are quite advanced and can have many new features added to them, take the DragonOSD, many addons have been created within the community, baro alt sensors, VSI sensors but to name a few, most of these additional features require a little understanding of electronics and this is why they are not as user friendly as the EzOSD.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:41 PM
um, yea, I can make that crash
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Aug 2011
2,630 Posts
It seems to me that the EzOSD focuses its info on signal strength and quality allowing the pilot to make an informed decision on how far is 'far enough'. Others have RTH functions that attempt to get the plane back when you've gone 'too far'. Both have their place.

Before you all chime in, RSSI alone is not the full story of link quality and when you'll get locked out.
Wayno Complaino is offline Find More Posts by Wayno Complaino
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,630 Posts
Duplicate
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:17 PM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
The ezosd is plug and play, fits in well with the Immersionrc "ecosystem" and is fairly straight forward.

It has its own features that others lack ( mainly relating to signal analysis), but in general terms of features/options however it is imo more limited than eagletree OSD Pro or dragon OSD etc. Just look at what you can do with the eagletree for example - airspeed, baro alt, g-force, stabilization and gyro based AHI with guardian... The list goes on...

Of course often you don't need or want any of that complexity, and just want the absolutely necessary data. You need to just consider what you want from an OSD and choose accordingly really.
rusty_y2k2 is offline Find More Posts by rusty_y2k2
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_y2k2 View Post
The ezosd is plug and play, fits in well with the Immersionrc "ecosystem" and is fairly straight forward.

In terms of features/options however, it is imo more limited than eagletree OSD Pro or dragon OSD etc. Just look at what you can do with the eagletree for example - airspeed, baro alt, g-force, stabilization and gyro based AHI with guardian... The list goes on...

Of course often you don't need or want any of that complexity, and just want the absolutely necessary data. You need to just consider what you want from an OSD and choose accordingly really.
I have the eagletree OSD and although as you said it has a lot of features sometimes I do wish I went with the ezOSD because now I have the ezUHF and I'm currently scratching my head on how to get the RSSI reading displayed on my eagletree OSD. In addition, the eagletree stuff has made the wiring a lot more messy.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
Thats not simple but can be done... You need a ppm to analog convertor.

Check this http://www.mictronics.de/projects/pp...log-converter/

Worth noting that it seems you are better off using link quality (%) than RSSI directly in this setup.
rusty_y2k2 is offline Find More Posts by rusty_y2k2
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:33 PM
I Like Popcorn
Joined Oct 2009
2,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno Complaino View Post
It seems to me that the EzOSD focuses its info on signal strength and quality allowing the pilot to make an informed decision on how far is 'far enough'. Others have RTH functions that attempt to get the plane back when you've gone 'too far'. Both have their place.

Before you all chime in, RSSI alone is not the full story of link quality and when you'll get locked out.
I would not say gone to far RTH is a safety net/extra fail safe. It can be triggered by the pilot or set in an rx failsafe setting. Many things happen to our beloved FPV airframes as well as loosing signal because we went past our limit (which we do do sometimes) so having an added benefit of having RTH is worth the price of any OSD you care to mention. I would not fly LR without an RTH system.

Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:34 PM
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_y2k2 View Post
Thats not simple but can be done... You need a ppm to analog convertor.

Check this http://www.mictronics.de/projects/pp...log-converter/

Worth noting that it seems you are better off using link quality (%) than RSSI directly in this setup.
A while ago I was told to buy one of these:

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/RSSI-Buffer-for-OSD-Pro.html

Although I havent got into how this is supposed to work just yet.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylite View Post
I would not say gone to far RTH is a safety net/extra fail safe. It can be triggered by the pilot or set in an rx failsafe setting. Many things happen to our beloved FPV airframes as well as loosing signal because we went past our limit (which we do do sometimes) so having an added benefit of having RTH is worth the price of any OSD you care to mention. I would not fly LR without an RTH system.

That's why I have a FY-31AP too