SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:01 AM
Joined Jul 2004
14 Posts
Discussion
Top Notch Models Lear Fan

I am looking for anyone who has built this kit, any info would be helpful. I saw one that was converted to electric that was flown at a big Electric meet and had pictures in one of the model magazines. Any info on the builder of that plane would be greatly appreciated.

Ron
ron9844 is offline Find More Posts by ron9844
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:03 AM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Wow, I don't think I can help but I just looked this kit up and it is perfect for a high power 12s setup. It would be faaaast . I'm going to have to log this one away for a future build. Did you have any specific questions or just looking for someone that has built this particular kit before?
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Feb 04, 2012, 10:58 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
I considered ordering this plane and converting it to electric but it states in the description that you need to get the plastic and fiberglass parts from Stanís Fibertech. When I looked up Stanís Fibertech, the website stated this:
We will be making parts again as soon as possible after relocating the business. Please watch this site for updates.
That was posted on OCT 2009.
Might be worth contacting Top Notch Products to find out if there is any other way to obtain the fiberglass and plastic parts
Would be a shame if those parts weren't available any more as this is such a cool airplane and Top Notch kits live up to their name.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Feb 04, 2012, 11:23 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Ron

PM Sent on the Builder
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:59 AM
Joined Jul 2004
14 Posts
Lear Fan

Glass and plastic is available thru manufacturer

Ron
ron9844 is offline Find More Posts by ron9844
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:38 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron9844 View Post
Glass and plastic is available thru manufacturer

Ron
I take it you mean Top Notch Products?
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Feb 05, 2012, 11:41 AM
United States, LA, Blanchard
Joined Jan 2006
790 Posts
I have the plans & kits for this bird myself..and had plan on going electric myself. i did contact the guy that had build the electric version and was trying to get pictures of his mods..he did tell me he located the battery tray in the nose..he also said was useing a 45 size motor on 4 cells.. i had planed on a e-flite power 60 on 6 cells. i still need to finish my KMP 337 Cessna i'm doing as a O-2 version.. and i'm 3/4 into a 96' OV-10 with power 90's. i hope to start this bird. in a few months.. i work a 35 on/ 35 off here in Saudi Arabia, so i only have every other month to play with the toys..i will be keeping a eye of this bog as this is the only one i have seem whit this bird...i also planed to build a rear hatch on top or bottom in the tail to access the speed control..

The builder & owner of the electric version is

Freddie B
motoderf at optonline.net
still trying to get pictures of his mods..

Also guys...i talked to John Valentine , the owner of Top Notch products back in Sept last year. he told me that Stan's has changed hands once more and now it's called Fibertech N More and he has filled several orders for the parts for the lear Fan. total price for everything is

cowl
pods
window set is 119.95 plus shipping

Web site is

www.fibertechnmore.com

if anyone would like to get in touch with me..e-mail @ rigrandy1959 at yahoo.com
randynsaudi is online now Find More Posts by randynsaudi
Last edited by randynsaudi; Feb 05, 2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: added more information
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:42 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
I would kindly ask that you change the @ symbol in Freddy email to "at". It will keep spam bots away.

Also I can assure you that model flys well north of 4s on NEU power.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:19 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
Also I can assure you that model flys well north of 4s on NEU power.
Depends on weight and how you want it to fly. The Learfan has a pretty high aspect ratio wing. If its built light it will fly like a powered glider.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Jan 2006
790 Posts
I was wrong. i was thinking about another e-mail..going back to the e-mail's and posting's i had with Mr. Backhaus. i see he was running a 4000ma 6 cell pack in his..not a 4 cell and 45 size..still plan to go with the power 60 on 6 cells also..but going to mount the ESC in front and extend the motor wires.. Mr. Backhaus mounted his ESC in the back and made his battery wires longer and it worked for him..it's a hot debate on if's it better to have longer motor or ESC wires. i have both a KMP 337 cessna done as a O-2 with the longer motor wires. and i'm doing a 96" OV-10a with the motor wire extended and have not any problums.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 09:57 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatsob View Post
Depends on weight and how you want it to fly. The Learfan has a pretty high aspect ratio wing. If its built light it will fly like a powered glider.
My Bad

I should have said, the model is flying on more then 4 cells. (I used the term "north" to mean more then)

The model is definetly not configured like a glider now. Not many gliders flutter the control surfaces when they get cranking! This is one slick, fast scale model.

Tommy D
Old Mar 07, 2014, 12:31 AM
Joined Jan 2006
790 Posts
haveing moved and will be a couple of months getting the new shop built. this bird is the first on the building board...i have had the plans and kit for a long time..and have all the parts.
Old Jul 06, 2014, 07:03 AM
sml
Joined Jan 2007
340 Posts
Well I took the plunge and bought one of the Top Notch Kits Lear Fan kits. It arrived yesterday and the quality is stunning!!!!!! Will post pics once I start the build. Only problem is there are no fiberglass parts or windshields. There was however a single sheet of paper in the box that shows that Fibertech sells them. I went to their website and the parts are no longer there. I just sent an email to see if they still sell them.
Saul
sml is offline Find More Posts by sml
Old Jul 06, 2014, 07:07 AM
sml
Joined Jan 2007
340 Posts
BTW it will be electric
sml is offline Find More Posts by sml
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:05 PM
Joined Jan 2006
790 Posts
guess they no longer make the parts... glad I got mine while they did..