2,273 Posts
yay. 6 days later
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2010, 05:00 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2004
712 Posts
My ArDrone arrived today, read this thread and going for the YJ board. )

Im thinking about to use my Thomas Scherrer UHF receiver 430-440 Mhz, do u think it will be any interferance on such freq?

Iphone 4 and older Iphones can use a cable set to fly Fpv with goggles: http://cgi.ebay.com/TV-OUT-COMPOSITE...item230a541ad8

Tv-out might only work with jailbreaked iphones. U need an application from Cydia to run this feature.

Great job publishing this modification!! Very appreciated!

//Matte
Impulze is offline Find More Posts by Impulze
Old Dec 07, 2010, 07:46 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulze View Post

Im thinking about to use my Thomas Scherrer UHF receiver 430-440 Mhz, do u think it will be any interferance on such freq?

Iphone 4 and older Iphones can use a cable set to fly Fpv with goggles: http://cgi.ebay.com/TV-OUT-COMPOSITE...item230a541ad8

Tv-out might only work with jailbreaked iphones. U need an application from Cydia to run this feature.

//Matte
Matte. You will have to test out your UHF system and let us know. I have the Dragon Link UHF system and would appreciate your results.

The video feed from the Drone would still be limited to the range of the Drone wifi, FPV won't work this way. If you kept it close, the video will work but that would negate the FPV. I'll try to do a better indoor FPV test flight at the next indoor session. We are in the middle of a nice snow storm, no more outdoor flying for me.
Buffythesaint is online now Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Old Dec 07, 2010, 08:47 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2007
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulze View Post

//Matte
You can actually use the Flight Recorder app for iTunes ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fligh...93776938?mt=8# ). Video out is supported on non-jailbroken iPhone 4 devices.

Features include:...
- Television out with supported device and accessory cable. (not supported on older devices such as iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3G)

superevan
superevan is offline Find More Posts by superevan
Old Dec 07, 2010, 10:37 PM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,817 Posts
This is a great thread. I'm also new to RC, I have a Blade SR that I can hover inside but not outside, and I've been looking at the 330X.

I hope you guys don't mind but will the ARDrone lift a GoPro camera?

Thanks
Av8Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Av8Chuck
Old Dec 07, 2010, 10:42 PM
New Berlin, WI
Joined Oct 2006
176 Posts
Yellowjacket board

Got my YJ board westerday and started to work on it tonight.

Soldered everything up and installed the hardware on the drone.

Next I tried to upload Mheeli's sketch but for some reason the YJ would not accept it. Tried different baud rates and resetting the YJ and still nothing but the failed upload message. Something to do with not being able to sync.

Looked on line at the Arduino IDE help site but found nothing I was doing was wrong.

I don't know what prompted me to get out my magnifying glasses and have a closer look at the YJ board but lucky I did. I found that two of the Atmega328 chip's legs were bridged with solder. Wierd. Once I cleaned that little mess up low and behold the sketch uploaded and all is well. Whew!!!!!! Started to set the radio up (Spektrum 8) but ran out of time.

Will have at it again tomorrow after work. Fun fun fun!!!!!!

Marty
mcrotor is offline Find More Posts by mcrotor
Old Dec 08, 2010, 02:59 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2004
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint View Post
Matte. You will have to test out your UHF system and let us know. I have the Dragon Link UHF system and would appreciate your results.

The video feed from the Drone would still be limited to the range of the Drone wifi, FPV won't work this way. If you kept it close, the video will work but that would negate the FPV. I'll try to do a better indoor FPV test flight at the next indoor session. We are in the middle of a nice snow storm, no more outdoor flying for me.

Im aware of the limitation of videofeed over wifi, i have other equipment for normal FPV flying Maybe indoor fpv and outdoor within the range the drone can be fun to fly fpv.

I will report my result with the UHF receiver, if i dont crash it to badly before i got the YJ

//Matte
Old Dec 08, 2010, 03:03 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2004
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superevan View Post
You can actually use the Flight Recorder app for iTunes ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fligh...93776938?mt=8# ). Video out is supported on non-jailbroken iPhone 4 devices.

Features include:...
- Television out with supported device and accessory cable. (not supported on older devices such as iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3G)

superevan

Ok!

For those that have older iphones a jailbrake is necessary to activate tv-out.

//Matte
Old Dec 08, 2010, 07:16 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrotor View Post
Got my YJ board westerday and started to work on it tonight.

Soldered everything up and installed the hardware on the drone.

Next I tried to upload Mheeli's sketch but for some reason the YJ would not accept it. Tried different baud rates and resetting the YJ and still nothing but the failed upload message. Something to do with not being able to sync.

Looked on line at the Arduino IDE help site but found nothing I was doing was wrong.

I don't know what prompted me to get out my magnifying glasses and have a closer look at the YJ board but lucky I did. I found that two of the Atmega328 chip's legs were bridged with solder. Wierd. Once I cleaned that little mess up low and behold the sketch uploaded and all is well. Whew!!!!!! Started to set the radio up (Spektrum 8) but ran out of time.

Will have at it again tomorrow after work. Fun fun fun!!!!!!

Marty
Good catch Marty. Perhaps when you were soldering, a small piece of solder could of come off your iron and onto your board. I'm sure the YJ's are checked before shipping. When I set up my radio and was checking the #'s on the montor screen, I didn't have to adjust travel throw on channels 1-4. When the sticks were moved, I received the numbers posted, not exactly the same but very close. Make sure you get "+" when required or your Drone will fly opposite on that axis. Your going to be blown away by the difference in flying. Post some video if you can.

Mheeli, is your new sketch ready to try?
Old Dec 08, 2010, 07:40 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8Chuck View Post
This is a great thread. I'm also new to RC, I have a Blade SR that I can hover inside but not outside, and I've been looking at the 330X.

I hope you guys don't mind but will the ARDrone lift a GoPro camera?

Thanks
It will lift a gopro. Here is a video my Drone, indoor hull, gopro with live feed out to a vtx and a 2s 350mah battery. I was using the tilt method, which I never liked.

Parrot AR Drone with GoPro/2.4 video (6 min 7 sec)
Old Dec 08, 2010, 04:10 PM
Joined Dec 2010
14 Posts
The Ar Drone now tracks objects as well!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/08/a...vers-tracks-a/
skantz is offline Find More Posts by skantz
Old Dec 08, 2010, 05:19 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skantz View Post
The Ar Drone now tracks objects as well!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/08/a...vers-tracks-a/
That 2nd comment might be the funniest comment I've ever read.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Dec 08, 2010, 05:47 PM
New Berlin, WI
Joined Oct 2006
176 Posts
Yippi !!!!!!

Gentlemen, I have lift-off via YJ and Spektrum DX8.

Just had to tweek the expo (30% aileron, elevator) (20% rudder). Very smooth and natural (if you have been flying rc that is).

Very happy.

Now to get a video downlink for my GoPro hero and my Headplay glasses and FPV here I come.

Marty

P.S.

I looked further into the extra solder that had bridged the two chip legs on the YJ and I figure it came from when I snipped the extra wire protruding from the back of the board after soldering. Figure I must have laid the board on my work bench on top of a loose piece of solder and there you go. Instant bridge.

Thanks Brian for shedding some light on that deal.
mcrotor is offline Find More Posts by mcrotor
Old Dec 08, 2010, 07:42 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,665 Posts
Quote:

Just had to tweek the expo (30% aileron, elevator) (20% rudder). Very smooth and natural (if you have been flying rc that is).

Very happy.

Now to get a video downlink for my GoPro hero and my Headplay glasses and FPV here I come.

Marty

P.S.

I looked further into the extra solder that had bridged the two chip legs on the YJ and I figure it came from when I snipped the extra wire protruding from the back of the board after soldering. Figure I must have laid the board on my work bench on top of a loose piece of solder and there you go. Instant bridge.

Thats great Marty. You won't go back to your i device, except to make a setting change. Are you able to try an outdoor range check? Lots of snow here now, won't be able to check my range until spring
Old Dec 08, 2010, 07:57 PM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
Quote:

Very happy.

Marty

P.S.

Wow ,that's quick. Video and pictures please . Would you mind sharing your details?

Rx model, Ar.Drone firmware version. And what you use to supply the power to your Rx. Thanks.
Mheeli is offline Find More Posts by Mheeli