SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by bighead93, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 08, 2011, 02:11 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
a few come to mind immediately. LOL.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2011, 06:20 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,060 Posts
For Many at the opening gate, as many of the EDF require hand launching, is often a huge delema for the beginner. We have one flyer in our group thats quite good at this but still at times makes a bad toss and down she goes. Actually prefer the ones with wheels, my Skyray is still alive and put it high on the list for a starter EDF.

But recently ran into one that is EASY to hand launch, its more of a glider, but a beauty tho not the speed demon out of the box, even handles well with the RTF setup tho admit controls are abit coarse, sport flyer with aileron experience and perhaps glider flying likely have zero issues on this one.

Its the Phase 3 U2 Spyplane. Pretty tuff bird as did the impossible and miss launched it with the wing hitting my hat on release and down she went, that was simply stupid on my part, but showed its durability and suvived the nose in. Only caution is the landing abit more speed than a traditional glider for a level touchdown, else its a winner. Put this one high on the charts as Near Beginner Entry, as has ailerons. Love mine todate.

Some have even modified it with wheels etc, but not necessary as easy medium toss and she's up and away with ease, not the hard baseball toss many require. Quite a relief to find one thats a winner on the toss.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...port-2-4g.html

Out of stock tho just ordered mine the other week, sure will have them again, keep checking..
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Last edited by wnppmy; May 14, 2011 at 06:28 AM. Reason: update
Old May 17, 2011, 06:35 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,060 Posts
As mentioned also love the Skyray, even right out of the box flys quite well, some say underpowered but I don't exactly agree as lifts right off the ground, tho indeed needs abit of room, its handling is superb and a great first EDF starter with wide wings floats beautifully can even deadstick land if your so talented there. Its a winner, mines into its 2nd year, can't say that with many other entrys...

Its take off, slightly long but easy.

RC F4D Skyray EDF Electric Duted Fan Great First Jet Pavement Take Off (0 min 9 sec)

For stock out of the box, not a bad pass at all, certainly pleased the crowd of onlookers.

RC F4D Skyray EDF Jet Pass (0 min 8 sec)

Wheels are springy but more than durable on this horrific landing, could blame it on the gusty breeze, but also bad piloting, still pleased the crowd and its still intact, wow. My landings usually are smooth, but this ones worth the look.

Hobby King F4D Skyray EDF Jet, springy landing, but intact (0 min 14 sec)
Last edited by wnppmy; May 17, 2011 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Update
Old May 17, 2011, 07:46 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,060 Posts
Not proud of this pic, more of a warning, please be aware where the onlookers are at all times. One busy trying to take a pic of my landing, had to abort and go around. All of them went to the side when I landed the next time, they were a very fantastic group and enjoyed every moment. Just be careful please.

As a warning, landing aborted to a go around, watch it please !

RC F4D Skyray EDF Jet Low Pass (0 min 23 sec)

Cardinal rule, don't fly over a crowd, instruct them to stay away and to the side. They might do Europeon airshows over the crowd, but paid the price with misshaps etc, be safe, the American way.
Last edited by wnppmy; May 17, 2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:50 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined May 2011
157 Posts
Anybody know a good edf to start with, Im looking for an edf that takes off in a very short distance and is moderatly easy to fly anybody got suggestions
giantkevmiester is offline Find More Posts by giantkevmiester
Old May 21, 2011, 12:18 AM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantkevmiester View Post
Anybody know a good edf to start with, Im looking for an edf that takes off in a very short distance and is moderatly easy to fly anybody got suggestions
My first was the Hobby Lobby 64mm F9F Panther: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/f9f_panth...33859_prd1.htm . I understand their F-86 and Mig using the same power system are good too. The poster above liked the Hobby King Skyray as a first edf, but I like the fact that Hobby Lobby is domestic if warranty service or return is needed. These 64mm edf's come Rxr, even including a 20C lipo; landing gear is optional, but the nose gear is steerable and comes with it's own servo. Here is a good thread on the F9F: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1318339 . I started my own thread on the Panther on Xtremeflyer.com here: http://www.xtremeflyer.com/forums/th...osts=345#M5650 , Hobby Lobby has a link to my thread on their F9F Panther page.
I fly my F9F strictly as a belly lander and have no problems hand launching it, I find it easy to fly and very adequately powered on the stock components. In flight it is remarkably stable and predictable; it's the only RC plane I have that actually goes where I point it!! IMHO a good choice as a first edf.

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old May 21, 2011, 01:13 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined May 2011
157 Posts
Thanks! the f9f looks perfect i already even have a dx5e and a 1600 mah lipo pack and 3 cell lipo charger to use for it this is perfect!
giantkevmiester is offline Find More Posts by giantkevmiester
Old May 21, 2011, 02:28 AM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantkevmiester View Post
Thanks! the f9f looks perfect i already even have a dx5e and a 1600 mah lipo pack and 3 cell lipo charger to use for it this is perfect!
Good choice in my opinion. In my Xtremeflyer.com thread there are several build tips and improvements to the control rod system, and advice on whether to use the included esc. I also included links to the RCG thread, and the Hobby Lobby video on hand launching techniques, ( a "must watch"!). Let us know when you get the plane and I will help you through the build if you wish, I hope you love yours as much as I love mine. I'm using Poly RC 3S 25C 2200mah lipos in mine and consistently get 5 minute flights, so the lipos you listed will be good choices to start with. Most of the action and a lot of good tips are on that RCG thread, but there is lots of good info on my XF thread too; read up, and good luck!

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old May 21, 2011, 11:31 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
I just bought a phase3 squall, 4s version. Hope i have good luck with it. I'm no stranger to planes but just new to the edf thing.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old May 22, 2011, 06:32 AM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,255 Posts
Good choice. I would recommend reinforcing the intake however, as it takes the brunt of a landing impact.
SMorrisRC is offline Find More Posts by SMorrisRC
Old May 22, 2011, 11:58 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Ya, i was wondering how that would last.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:48 PM
Joined Feb 2011
56 Posts
guys i need to ask what is the different between the stock TX RX like hobbyking 6ch V2
and the others like DX6I and futaba 6 channel
why it makes it easier to fly cause both has dual rate.
I'm new in this and i need help and it's not easy to decied to got DX6I or futaba not only because of the price but also because the trouble with my country customs!!! so i need to be sure before placing such order
eng_tamer6 is offline Find More Posts by eng_tamer6
Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:01 AM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,339 Posts
Never use this set up guide.
http://www.rc-electric-jets.com/Elec...uidelines.html

Manuel V.
manuel v is online now Find More Posts by manuel v
Old Jun 26, 2011, 08:20 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2009
377 Posts
My first edf was the Parkzone Habu. Fast landings caused the plane to hop into the air and then nose into the ground. Once I learned to slow it on landing all was good.
actflyer is offline Find More Posts by actflyer
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:23 PM
Master of Flying Wings......
Joined Jul 2008
494 Posts
is it just me or do bigger EDF Jets seem to fly slower??????

Maybe they fly at the same speed, but they look like a tri-plane floating through the sky sometimes......

Hobbyking used to have a huge f-86 and i mean huge!. Took a 6s to do the job...

i think they might still have that mirage 3000 floating around......
flyingwing12 is offline Find More Posts by flyingwing12