HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2008, 09:14 PM
Joined May 2006
16 Posts
Discussion
Heading hold Gyro for mild 3D?

Hey guys, I have 2 HBK II,s w/Brushless, Lipo power,single gain Gyros and a MX400 Pro w/Brushless, Lipo power, Single gain Gyro.
My question is do you need a headind hold gyro to do loops and rolls?
Also need info on performing these mild maneuvers?

Thanks, Billeybob
billeybob is offline Find More Posts by billeybob
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2008, 10:34 PM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
1,113 Posts
No, you don't NEED a hh gyro. But it sure makes things much easier! Without one you'll have the fly the tail during your loops and rolls and flips.

I wouldn't fly without one.

What kind of info on the maneuvers are you looking for? If you go to www.helifreak.com in the Tech Room section there are video's for just about everything you can imagine...there are video's by Finless Bob that even show how to do the loops, rolls, flips and he shows stick movements with them.

Good luck!
Skarn
Skarn is offline Find More Posts by Skarn
Old May 15, 2008, 08:03 AM
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Nov 2006
1,382 Posts
Let's just say I couldn't amagine doing it without a HH gyro (but I've also never tried it) so why don't you try it on the cheapest bird without, and then on another with it and let us know Seriously though, spend $70 and get a used 240 and let her rip.
For info, TRY IT ON A SIM FIRST! I can't stress this enough because I think it would be safe to assume this will be your first time flying with negative pitch, and it takes a little getting used to. Afterall, the throttle position will be opposite to what you've spent the last few weeks learning to fly at.
missle is offline Find More Posts by missle
Old May 15, 2008, 09:11 AM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Feb 2008
209 Posts
Actually, loops are easier with a non-HH gyro. You see, loops have one specific characteristic: It is always done with forward flight. with a non-HH gyro (Rate gyro) going on forward flight creates the windvane effect. with that, the heli will alway travel toward one direction. if you entered the loop with a level forward flight, you'll be able to do a perfectly vertical circular movement. Hhowever, tables will be turned when you'll try a flip with a rate-gyro. It is possible, but very difficult because there would be a small backward movement when the heli is exiting the maneuver. again, windvane effect would try to make the heli face the direction of flight.
kimmy is offline Find More Posts by kimmy
Old May 15, 2008, 01:06 PM
Joined May 2006
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmy
Actually, loops are easier with a non-HH gyro. You see, loops have one specific characteristic: It is always done with forward flight. with a non-HH gyro (Rate gyro) going on forward flight creates the windvane effect. with that, the heli will alway travel toward one direction. if you entered the loop with a level forward flight, you'll be able to do a perfectly vertical circular movement. Hhowever, tables will be turned when you'll try a flip with a rate-gyro. It is possible, but very difficult because there would be a small backward movement when the heli is exiting the maneuver. again, windvane effect would try to make the heli face the direction of flight.
Thanks for the info, I have flow heli,s on the Aero Fly Pro a bunch but the real thing is different, I guess I am just a bit intimidated by the real thing, I mean I,m worried about putting 300.00$ to 600.00$ into the ground in a heart beat. I guess thats a risk that comes with the sport.

Billeybob
billeybob is offline Find More Posts by billeybob
Old May 15, 2008, 01:14 PM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billeybob
I,m worried about putting 300.00$ to 600.00$ into the ground in a heart beat. I guess thats a risk that comes with the sport.

Billeybob
Yeah, but you aren't destroying all 300-600 dollars when you crash. My Trex 450 SE v2 cost about $850, but after 5 major crashes, the average cost to fix per crash has been only $25. But the SE v2 does have all metal head and all Carbon Fiber frame...

Skarn
Skarn is offline Find More Posts by Skarn
Old May 15, 2008, 03:01 PM
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Nov 2006
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmy
Kimmy, very interesting info you got there. I'm going to have to try it by flipping to rate mode for some loops. I've been practicing them and I'm to the point that I'm trying to perfect them so this may make it better if what you've said is true.

Billybob, I still wouldn't use a rate only gyro on a regular basis though. If you've got the funds, definately get a HH that you can remote switch between the two at a minimum. You will definately love the HH, especially on those windy days. Also, when you do build up the nerve to try the loop, just do it (assuming you've got it down on the sim). I think you'll be surprised as to just how easy it really is.
missle is offline Find More Posts by missle
Old May 16, 2008, 07:16 AM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Feb 2008
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by missle
Kimmy, very interesting info you got there. I'm going to have to try it by flipping to rate mode for some loops. I've been practicing them and I'm to the point that I'm trying to perfect them so this may make it better if what you've said is true.

just make sure you were able to set the rate mode correctly, i.e. Tail holds good with minimal to no drift in rate mode.
kimmy is offline Find More Posts by kimmy