HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:44 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dando View Post
kgfly, thanks for the advice! I think I could find a capable server power supply locally inexpensive, so I'm only looking for a charger. The problem is I'd probably be charging at home and maybe either 4 or 6 5s 5000mAh packs in parallel at once (if of course this isn't a problem for them, but they'll most probably be all discharged about the same), or 2 or 3 10S 5000 mAh packs in parallel. This way I'd be able to use only one charger instead of two less powerful ones and it would be a cheaper way to achieve the same effect I think. Of course, both options do have their pros and cons (for example, when you have two chargers, you are able to use your time at the field better, but at home, it doesn't matter that much I assume).
Thus I'd like to hear some opinions on a charger and pack configuration for "home" charging 3 or 4 10S 5000mAh packs (not necessarily at the same time), and occasionally charging at the field (maybe 2 10S packs in parallel), as well as some feedback from users who use the 3010B in similar conditions or who have any advice why to buy or not to buy this charger, and, finally, how good is Hobbyking at providing and servicing this charger
IMO it is generally better to charge 5sXp rather than 10sYp simply because you will have less issues with balancing and hence shorter charge times.

Clearly you will have the most flexibility with a 3010B with an appropriate balance adapter board plus a paraboard or parallel squid cables. Then you can experiment with both 5S charging and 10S charging at up to 30A, assuming your home-brew PS is up to the job. HK do not provide service/support, but there is a warranty process. Many people find using a local vendor, or a more dedicated vendor helpful. Both epbuddy.com and progressiverc.com have excellent reputations for supporting their customers, and being in the US, are probably no further from you than HK.

Another charger you should consider for 10S charging is the FMA Cellpro 10XP and for 5S charging, the new PowerLab 6S although I am not sure if they will meet your budget.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:30 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3 Posts
My iCharger 208b shows balancer error when I connect the balancing leads of the battery to an external balancer board connected to the icharger but not when i directly connect the battery balancing leads to the charger's balancing leads. This happened when I accidentally forgot to connect the main power leads and just had the balancing leads connected when measuring the internal resistance. It also says connection break when I choose special modes but is still able to go through into the special modes after I press stop. What do you think is the problem? Can I fix this?
hangtime21 is offline Find More Posts by hangtime21
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:44 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangtime21 View Post
My iCharger 208b shows balancer error when I connect the balancing leads of the battery to an external balancer board connected to the icharger but not when i directly connect the battery balancing leads to the charger's balancing leads. This happened when I accidentally forgot to connect the main power leads and just had the balancing leads connected when measuring the internal resistance. It also says connection break when I choose special modes but is still able to go through into the special modes after I press stop. What do you think is the problem? Can I fix this?
Please check the PM we have sent to you.

Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:54 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3 Posts
Replied to the pm. Just want to clarify what I will do. Thank you for the fast reply
hangtime21 is offline Find More Posts by hangtime21
Old Nov 01, 2011, 01:10 AM
Auckland
Joined Mar 2010
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi View Post
Hello sir,

Sorry for the delay reply. You can try to test this problem via using the battery with more cells, such as 6S or 8S, when connecting the batteries, press STOP button for three seconds to monitor the voltage of each cell to see if there is any difference between the displayed voltage and measured voltage. And show us the data for the difference of which cells, so we can offer you the further method. Thanks for your cooperation.

Junsi
This is unhinged again with the problem of 208b not terminating the charge process when charging 4s. I have checked display versus measured and found them to be accurate. All cells are equal, so there is no problem with different voltages of each cell. The only problem is that it does not stop. I have recharged several times and last night again it was still going at 4.27 on all cells, until I remembered to stop manually. I have observed the amps start to rise again when at about 4.19 per cell ?? why. My power supply is rock steady with no drop when loaded. Otherwise all is good. My battery though is not so good! I have thought to reflash, but after initially detecting the charger, it cannot detect it again on the computer (this seems stupid, but the last time I had a device do this, it finally turned out to be a defective unit?). Where to now Junsi? Your advice will be appreciated.
unhinged is offline Find More Posts by unhinged
Old Nov 01, 2011, 02:13 AM
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Apr 2010
100 Posts
Discharge Resistor 306b 3010b

Is there a spreadsheet, table, graph etc. for choosing external resistor arrays (discharge+ mode) for the 306b and 3010b? I can't seem to find one.
guitarded is offline Find More Posts by guitarded
Old Nov 01, 2011, 02:34 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarded View Post
Is there a spreadsheet, table, graph etc. for choosing external resistor arrays (discharge+ mode) for the 306b and 3010b? I can't seem to find one.
There is one attached to the first post of this thread.

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Nov 01, 2011, 02:54 AM
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Apr 2010
100 Posts
The only one i can find there is for 106b - 208b.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 08:13 AM
steve
Brazil
Joined Nov 2010
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
A multi meter checks volts,amps.Ohms not internal resistance of cells.

IR of cells are determined by taking no load and loaded readings or loaded readings at two different loads and using Ohms Law.

There are several threads on LiPoly Internal Resistances ,how to obtain them and how to evualate them.

iChargers do a fair job of calculating cell IR most of the time. If the IR of one cell is many times that of the others in a fairly new LiPolys then there is likely a leads / connector problem.

Like with the connection break errors most of the time it is the leads / connectors not the charger.

Charles
I got a quick reply from Junsi that solved the problem. I had a burned trace on the first pin of a few of the balance connectors. Corrected the problem and also had to do a calibration on cell 2 volt reading as it was reading .2 volts low. 3.8 instead of 4.0 which I was getting on my multimeters.

Not sure how it got so far out of calibration but it's working again
f11music.com is offline Find More Posts by f11music.com
Old Nov 01, 2011, 10:07 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarded View Post
The only one i can find there is for 106b - 208b.
Attached is an update version (1.10) enhanced for the 306B and 3010B. I think I have enhanced it correctly but you use it at your own risk.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Nov 02, 2011, 03:14 AM
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Apr 2010
100 Posts
Awesome!! Thanx kgfly!!
Old Nov 02, 2011, 04:09 AM
Fun Scaler
EHTX
Joined Jun 2007
150 Posts
How much current can 12AWG wire handle?

I need to make an extension from the iChargers' inpout cables to my PSU, using spade connectors, 12AWG(?) silicon wire & 4mm gold bullets.

About 4" long piece of 12AWG wire from PSU to charger. Charger will be pulling ~840W (35A) (charging 6S 5Ah @ 30A)

Is the 12AWG wire safe? (This may be a really stupid question since the cables on my iCharger are 12AWG wire too.. - but one cannot be too safe )

Thx!

-Patriek
Patriek is offline Find More Posts by Patriek
Old Nov 02, 2011, 04:47 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhinged View Post
This is unhinged again with the problem of 208b not terminating the charge process when charging 4s. I have checked display versus measured and found them to be accurate. All cells are equal, so there is no problem with different voltages of each cell. The only problem is that it does not stop. I have recharged several times and last night again it was still going at 4.27 on all cells, until I remembered to stop manually. I have observed the amps start to rise again when at about 4.19 per cell ?? why. My power supply is rock steady with no drop when loaded. Otherwise all is good. My battery though is not so good! I have thought to reflash, but after initially detecting the charger, it cannot detect it again on the computer (this seems stupid, but the last time I had a device do this, it finally turned out to be a defective unit?). Where to now Junsi? Your advice will be appreciated.
Hello unhinged,

Sorry to hear that again, please check the PM we have sent to you. Thanks for your cooperation.

Junsi
Old Nov 02, 2011, 04:56 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
Attached is an update version (1.10) enhanced for the 306B and 3010B. I think I have enhanced it correctly but you use it at your own risk.
Kgfly,

Your great job is sincerely appreciated, we have updated this information on the first post of this thread. Thanks again.

Junsi
Old Nov 02, 2011, 05:25 AM
Joined Oct 2011
7 Posts
Why is in the NiCd/NiMH/Pb-Mode the discharging finale voltage for battery pack and not like in the LiXX-Mode for the cell selectable?
The different selection of the discharging finale voltage is not very user friendly. I think the voltage should be for the cell selectable in all modes.

best regards
maex
maex is offline Find More Posts by maex