HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2001, 09:17 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Best AAA NiMH Cell?

OK, I think I already know the answer -- Sanyo. What I really want to know is how close the Energizer AAA NiMH is to the Sanyo. I'm just starting to make my own packs, and it's so easy to stop at the WalMart on the way home and pick up a package or two of Energizers vs. mail ordering Sanyos. Has anyone done a direct comparison of the two?
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2001, 08:54 AM
Vacaville, CA USA
Joined Nov 2000
355 Posts
Actually -- no. The "best" cell (albeit not the highest capacity one) is the Panasonic 550mAh AAA cell. At least I read in a German discussion group that one guy is pushing them up to 8 Amps...there is also a catalog from a hobby store in Austria that states that the Panasonic 550mAh cell "...is much better than the Twicell according to our measurements..."

So if you draw a lot of amps you're better off with the Panasonics. What kind of motor / amp draw are you looking at?
berniep1 is offline Find More Posts by berniep1
Old Jun 05, 2001, 09:24 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,008 Posts
I've used Sanyo 720 AAA nimh cells on an application that pulled 7.4A static (S280BB, direct drive) without any apparent problems. Certainly the packs were barely warm after an 8 minute flight.

However I suspect at those currents the useable capacity drops significantly, so the 550 Panasonics may well give similar duration.
Bill Glover is online now Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Jun 05, 2001, 09:57 AM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,335 Posts
I don't know if the higher capacity AAA Panasonics are the same construction as the 550mah AAA's, but I have an 8 cell pack of the Panasonics that have died a relatively quick death at less than 5 amps. The Energizers on the other hand are well into 150+ cycles and still going good.

I do have a 6 cell pack of the Panasonics that are still working well, but the typical current draw is low.

I would be very interested in a comparison between the 3 cells - hopefully from someone who does not sell any of the 3

In any case, I would not hesitate to go with either the Energizers or the Sanyos.

Have a good one guys!

Steve

Steve McBride is online now Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old Jun 05, 2001, 09:04 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Oops, I guess I forgot to define "best" for what. I figured that posting this in the Slow Flyer section would suggest that I was not concerned about maximum current. I have a variety of motors I plan to run on NiMH packs -- GWS DX-A and DX-D, Puma 050, 4:1 geared MiG 280, etc. I think max amp draw would be <4. I guess I'm really looking more for the best all-around cell -- combination of current, duration and lifespan.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Jun 06, 2001, 12:47 AM
Joined Dec 1999
44 Posts
I have been using a pack of 7x700 mAh Energizer with a speed 280 and I am happy about it. I fly average 3 times a week with it. I charge them at 500 mAh.
Hope this helps.
Christophe is offline Find More Posts by Christophe
Old Jun 06, 2001, 12:53 AM
Joined Dec 1999
44 Posts
I forgot to add, I have been using it since september which makes over 100 cycles so far.
Christophe is offline Find More Posts by Christophe
Old Jun 06, 2001, 01:20 AM
auckland, new zealand
Joined May 2001
27 Posts
I bought sum 650mah AAA cells from a electronics store for about US$1 each. I had about a dozen 20min flights on them Pulling sumwhere round 1.4 amp on a 7 cell pack. I tested them and max current I got was 3.2 amps. Theres no label on these cells at all, and i charge them on an graupner ultramat at about 1.2 amp. Theyre the best I found for my litestick and weigh 14grams each.
mattkyle is offline Find More Posts by mattkyle
Old Jun 06, 2001, 05:09 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hederich:
I think max amp draw would be <4. I guess I'm really looking more for the best all-around cell -- combination of current, duration and lifespan.
I think at those currents the Sanyo 720s would be hard to beat (you didn't say that "cheap" was a requirement!). On a direct drive 280 (not the 280BB) pulling 3.4A static I got 25 min flights with a 10.3 oz model, 44" span.

Bill Glover is online now Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Jun 06, 2001, 02:25 PM
Joined Mar 2000
406 Posts
Reading this, I just had to post my recent experience with Rayovac cells....I just purchased some new 700mill from wally, and have used the old AAA with no current rating(LOW) for about 6-8 months for RX packs in my Hitec stuff. I charged the AAA NiMh once, and they work great! I then went to charge my normal AAA in a Rayovac charger made for both, and they fried 2 out of 4 cells! I just sent it all back to Ravovac yesterday, per them for replacement. 2 cells busted open and gray watery stuff ran out. These were the old AAA's, not the new NiMh, but they were only about 6-8 months old, and only used for RX packs, so current draw has always been low. I have never had a problem with them in the past, so, I guess you just never know when they are going to die really, or why! Any that do die, Rayovac will replace free, if you send them into them. Just go hit the web-site for the address. Just my recent experience with them. My buddy is using some AAA NiMh Rayovac with a speed 280 geared, and getting 17 minutes. First 8-10 at about half throttle, and last about 3/4. Later.....Chris
Chris Rust is offline Find More Posts by Chris Rust