HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2014, 09:30 PM
Joined Mar 2013
29 Posts
Discussion
Futaba GY 401 gyro

Is rhere any difference in performance between the Futbaba GY401 gyro and the Hobby King copy?
crasher47 is offline Find More Posts by crasher47
Last edited by crasher47; Apr 14, 2014 at 12:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:00 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crasher47 View Post
Is rhere any difference in performance between the Futbaba GY401 gyro and the Hobby King copy?
Yes, a BIG difference, specially once you get into any aerobatics of consequence.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old Apr 14, 2014, 05:11 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,172 Posts
Forget about any of the GY401 knockoffs. If you want a "decent" but cheap gyro look for a used Align GP750/780. I've bought a few used for $20.00. Got a NIP 780 for $25.00. People buy the package heli deals then go FBL and sell off the standard gyro. Don't know how well they work for 3D but for me doing hover and basic sport they are pretty locked in. I find them mainly on HeliFreak and RunRyder. They don't show up very often here on RCG for some reason.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Apr 15, 2014, 06:03 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,177 Posts
just be aware thiers some counterfeit copys floating around, Im not saying their bad cuzz I have a couple but did read a warning sheet from futaba comparing the difference between the two.
lectroglide is online now Find More Posts by lectroglide
Old Apr 15, 2014, 06:58 PM
Joined Feb 2014
8 Posts
FUTABA GY401 vs HK CLONE GYRO

Sure, there is a big difference, I have tested both and can tell you that it is not almost the same as HK says.... The appearence is similar, but how it works.. isn't. Futaba GY401 holds tail very good, same with small tail servos (8g digital servo), for scale slow flights. If you want to do some 3D flights, a bigger and faster gyro is my suggestion. HK clone doesn't hold like GY401, doesn't have the fast response that futaba GY401 has.

I bought HK GY401 clone to test it only, to see if it is really like my Futaba GY401

The HK gyro was put in trash, as it made me crash a 450 class Esky Belt CP. The tail turned after a strong pitch increase (+), it touched the floor and I lost control. I put back the Futaba GY401, this is the current gyro I'm using.

What I can tell you is that GY401 is one of the best gyros in the world for 450 class, same for bigger helicopters. If you want to do 3D flights, you need to choose it. If you are going to make only slow scale flights, you can use the HK GY401 clone, is enought.

You can get cheap and good gyros here at classified, for reference, I bought 2 used futaba GY611 sets (wo/ servo) for $75 Shipped, and GY611 is better than GY401. Don't spend your money with HK clone gyros if there is (at classified) some good gyros.

Tell me if it was helpful for you.

Thanks!
FILLIPEAMP2 is online now Find More Posts by FILLIPEAMP2
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:22 PM
Joined Mar 2013
29 Posts
Thanks, I just built my first Trex 450 clone and have read conflicting write ups about the HK GY401. Sometimes I feel it doesn't hold the heading as well as it should in a hover. It seems to want to wonde and I am always on the rudder. My el cheapo VL 913 from Amazon seems to do better.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:18 PM
Joined Feb 2014
8 Posts
Hello Crasher 47,

Yes, there is a lot of conflicting write about it, you are not the first curious about it's performance. I was too, but lost time and money with that. This clone HK gyro is not a good gyro as should be. Is much better spend a little more in a good gyro system (used or not) than have to buy new spare parts every time and wait long time to get it. Not only about crashing, but you get really tired of fly helicopter with the hand every time in rudder, keeping rudder sometimes to left, sometimes to right, trying many configurations, gain/ limit, dural rate, end point, changing trim settings, and always to get the same result: an unstable tail.

It creates a boring flight....

The GY401 is not a magic gyro, also need a good tail servo to work with. The 8g - 10g servos (analog. or digital) can give a good hold for slow scale flights, as I said before, but the best is to get a 21g -25g fast servo (0.05s -0.09s). Servos that have speed > 0.12s are not so good for tail.

Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:12 PM
Joined Mar 2013
29 Posts
I've been using an HK 922 servo for the tail. It's a digital metal gear servo. I haven't tried anything else so have no means of making a comparison.
Old Yesterday, 12:03 AM
Joined Feb 2014
8 Posts
I understang, these servos don't have much torque.

KST servos are really good, and for the features they have, low weight, high torque and speed, they are among the best servos for tail. The price is not good, they are very expensive.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crasher47 View Post
-Yes, the Real one is much better. I have GY401 on three helis with very good results and tried many cheap ones...
elan is online now Find More Posts by elan