HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2014, 01:08 PM
United States, DE, Magnolia
Joined Nov 2011
304 Posts
Question
Decent rubber for my Tigermoth?

Hello everyone! I built this Dumas Tigermoth about 2.5 years ago. The rubber that came with the kit dry rotted. The rubber that came with the kit was, in my uneducated opinion, not very good. I could never get the airplane to climb -- its would barley make it halfway across my half-acre lot. So my question is: can someone please recommend to me affordable rubber that is better then the rubber provided the Dumas? Here two pictures of my Tiger Moth for your viewing pleasure

SubaruMike is online now Find More Posts by SubaruMike
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2014, 01:12 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
15,854 Posts
You can buy small packets of Tan Super Sport

http://domino-35.prominic.net/A55C2D...2579E6005651CE
Nice model
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Apr 06, 2014, 01:13 PM
Joined Jul 2009
72 Posts
Peck Polymers in Colorado has what you need. (Parent company is A2Z)
IndoorFlyerABQ is online now Find More Posts by IndoorFlyerABQ
Old Apr 06, 2014, 07:27 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
10,886 Posts
For this size of model I'd suggest you go with the pack of 3/32 wide rubber. Then you can make up two or three loop motors that adjust the power in smaller steps.

In case you don't know the number of loops doesn't mean that you make that many separate loops each with knots. Instead it's one long loop that you fold to create 4 or 6 strand motors of 2 or 3 loops.

I'm pretty sure that it SHOULD fly well with a single loop of 3/16. And that's where the double loop of 3/32 comes in. Power wise it's the same amount of rubber. And in case you want a little stronger power at the cost of run time duration you can make up a second motor long enough to fold over three ways to up the power to a little more than the equivalent of 1/4 inch width rubber.

But best of all you can do it all with one size instead of multiple packets.

When you make the motor up make it so the rubber is about 1.3 to 1.5 times the length between the prop hook and the rear peg.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Apr 06, 2014, 07:52 PM
Santo, Tx. La Tierra de Dios
Joined Nov 2005
148 Posts
These people will have what you want http://www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com/
Whizz is online now Find More Posts by Whizz
Old Apr 08, 2014, 10:10 PM
Joined Nov 2011
304 Posts
Thank all of you for your help! I truly appreciate it
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2014, 06:36 PM
RC Connectors dot com
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2008
1,141 Posts
ebay seller Fred_flys also has free-flight supplies including small packs of rubber too:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/fred_flys?

Glenn
glenn2626 is offline Find More Posts by glenn2626
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Eye One amp usage
Old Apr 11, 2014, 08:55 AM
Joined Nov 2011
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn2626 View Post
ebay seller Fred_flys also has free-flight supplies including small packs of rubber too:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/fred_flys?

Glenn
Thank you!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2014, 08:56 AM
Joined Nov 2011
304 Posts
Am I correct in thinking that the rubber the came with the kit was not up to the job, or did I just do something wrong?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:32 PM
RC Connectors dot com
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2008
1,141 Posts
IMO, any rubber that comes with a kit is probably not up to the task.

The only exception are those kits that come from actual serious free-flight companies.

Anything that sits out in the open (not in a sealed bag of some sort) starts to deteriorate immediately. So - if rubber with a kit isn't in a sealed bag, it's probably not in good shape now, and never was good stuff to begin with.

Here in Colorado, I can't let rubber (any kind) sit out at all. If I leave a motor out between indoor FF sessions (only a month apart), I can tell immediately. It's already starting little micro-cracks all over, and won't take even 75% of a full wind after just sitting out for a few weeks. Again, all just my opinion.

Glenn
glenn2626 is offline Find More Posts by glenn2626
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Eye One amp usage
Old Apr 11, 2014, 01:17 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
10,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruMike View Post
Am I correct in thinking that the rubber the came with the kit was not up to the job, or did I just do something wrong?
I've yet to see ANY kit that includes any rubber give us enough to actually power the model correctly. Typically the amount and size they supply is enough to make up a prop block retention rubber band. And that's about all it's good for.

I've never bought a SERIOUS modern contest model kit but I'd be surprised if they would bother including any rubber at all. It would be a waste since anyone flying rubber power seriously won't use any sort of mystery rubber from a box in any event.

Similarly from the days when building was more common I remember seeing a paltry few packs of rubber hanging on a peg board near the front of the hobby shop where the sun shone in on the packs every day. I'd not buy that rubber either since after a few weeks the UV would have ruined it.

Which is why all of us are suggesting that you buy a decent size pack of rubber so you have a supply for this model and the next after it. Motors wound to around 75 to 80% max turns last for a good 50 to 60 uses provided they don't develop edge tears. But if you stop and think about it that's only maybe 5 to 8 days worth of flying then you need to go with a new motor. And this assumes that the motors are treated well and stored in the fridge in sealed bags when not being used and inspected at the beginning of each day for damage from the last use.

So you can see that if you're supplying even a small squadron of models that buying rubber in a one pound box isn't out of the question at all.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:41 PM
Joined Jul 2009
72 Posts
Also, even though you did not solicit input on the propeller, I would recommend using a Peck prop 6-7" diameter, replacing the small red Guillow prop. That Tiger Moth will need a better pitched prop, like the Peck. Very nice looking build, by the way!
IndoorFlyerABQ is online now Find More Posts by IndoorFlyerABQ