HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:56 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Help!
Back into the hobby

Hi all,

I've been racing rc cars between '85 and '98. Left the hobby because of college and later on starting a family and such. However, now that the kids are older, I want to start racing rc cars again.
I would love to start in the touring car competition, but start of slow (money wise most of all). So I've been looking around, and saw a lot of nice cars, such as the yokomo bd7 or the serpents... But, what's the better option to get back into it? I used to drive Tamiya. But now there are so many more new brands, such as spec-r, maverick, hip, traxxass...
Borniet is offline Find More Posts by Borniet
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:01 PM
United States, CA, Pinole
Joined Jan 2009
731 Posts
Buy what your local hobby shop/track supports.Nothing worse than buying a fancy name with poor parts support.That being said it's Hard to go wrong with Associated.Lots of parts support and competitive chassis.
You can buy a new TC4 club racer chassis for about $150 from Tower or spring for about twice that for the current TC6.1.
Don't forget to budget for a good esc/motor combo.Again the track would be a good place to get motor advice depending on what class you want to run.
hope this helps
imgumby
imgumby is online now Find More Posts by imgumby
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:00 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,730 Posts
The best beginner class is the mini spec class (uses Tamiya M chassis cars), very budget friendly and the speeds are slower due to the silver can sealed motors.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:55 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I'm currently looking around at what is in the stores, what is in the club near our place, and what is on the second hand market in Belgium.
Borniet is offline Find More Posts by Borniet