HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:12 PM
Estonia, Harju, Tallinn
Joined Aug 2012
58 Posts
Question
Stone wool insulation as wadding?

I started taking interest in model rocketry, because it seems like a good pastime during cold winter season. I guess new Year`s Eve gave the final push.

After looking for a cheap and easily available wadding, I got the idea of using stone wool. What are your thoughts about it? The material itself seems pretty dense at first, but it can be pulled apart to gain more volume. Or should it be used in disks instead?
Recce is offline Find More Posts by Recce
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:53 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
1,508 Posts
An excellent cheap wadding is cellulose insulation, available at most hardware stores. It's biodegradable, and treated to prevent fire. And a lifetime supply costs about $10.

Remember not to pack it in too tight, or the chute won't deploy properly.
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:31 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,439 Posts
I haven't used stone wool but have use stainless pot scrubber, it works well but you need to design the rocket to be able to replace it as it will get clogged eventually. Other people use baffles to block hot particles and allow gasses to cool.

Are you planning on ejecting it out, or seeing if it can sort of act as a tied in piston, or securing it and seeing if it passes enough gas to work as a baffle? I don't think it is biodegradable so you might not want to eject it.

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by burkefj; Jan 02, 2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:53 AM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,024 Posts
Check the baffle design of the Aerotech line for a possibility; it is similar to the potscrubber.

Their catalog at this link explains it. (catalog p13, pdf p14)
http://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/products.aspx
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Last edited by wrightme; Jan 03, 2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:32 AM
Estonia, Harju, Tallinn
Joined Aug 2012
58 Posts
Thank you for your opinions. Stone wool is out and cellulose is in.
Recce is offline Find More Posts by Recce