HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:10 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
1,834 Posts
Discussion
Does your kid enjoy RC hobby with you

Raised the question because none of the rc guys I've known here have their kid/kids flying along,it appears that kids were not interested in the hobby that their father are addicted here in the region
it would be good if kid interested in the RC hobby,and it would be real nice to have kid joined the club and fly with you
wondering......................
does you kid/kids fly the RC planes with you
share your kid's RC pics if available
cheers
Sam
samwei1950 is online now Find More Posts by samwei1950
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:04 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,672 Posts
I don't think it's strange that kids don't participate in their parents hobbies, it takes a certain type of kid to take up a hobby like that. My dad used to build model rockets and I would help him, and then I started building model rockets. I also thought planes and helicopters were cool and eventually started building planes. My dad was interested in planes too, but full scale planes and he got a pilots license right before I started flying R/C planes. But I am an exception to most people, I'm a very mechanically inclined person and have always been interested in hobbies like this.

I think for the most part the people on this site are an exception and we like things that most other people don't. R/C pilots are probably 1 out of 100 people or less.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:29 AM
Custom Rekitter
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jun 2011
914 Posts
Daughter 14 and son 4. One too hormonal and one too young. Daughter has built a Stevens Aero Fred-e but lost interest.
tsymonds is online now Find More Posts by tsymonds
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:47 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,424 Posts
Yup. Two of 3 boys enjoy models with me, 1 of 4 daughters is working on her pilots license.

I also enjoyed it with my father and his father.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:48 AM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
560 Posts
My 13 year old son loves to fly with me but my 15 year old daughter can't even fly the sim! My other son who just turned 5 can't wait to fly but I can wait for him!!!! My boy who flies hopes to be a drone pilot someday. There are a few kids at the field I go to so I think there is still intrest in young ones.
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:08 AM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
796 Posts
I am a kid I love it
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:15 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
Joined Oct 2008
3,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Yup. Two of 3 boys enjoy models with me, 1 of 4 daughters is working on her pilots license.

I also enjoyed it with my father and his father.

Andy
How the heck do you afford this hobby with that many kids running around?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:17 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
Joined Oct 2008
3,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
My other son who just turned 5 can't wait to fly but I can wait for him!!!!
My 6 year old nephew can't wait to fly one of my planes... I told him 3 years ago that he would have to wait til he's 8. I'm not sure he'll be ready at this point... he's a ball of energy and very destructive with his toys.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:41 AM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
My 6 year old nephew can't wait to fly one of my planes... I told him 3 years ago that he would have to wait til he's 8. I'm not sure he'll be ready at this point... he's a ball of energy and very destructive with his toys.
My 6 year old nephew was watching me fly my PKZ F4U once and he grabbed the TX and tried to pull it from my hands and said "I want to try"!!!

As for Andy, I think he may get a pretty good hookup on his equiptment! Also, the more kids you have flying, the better chance you have for new gear!!!!!! But honey, it's for the kids! I got a #16 camera a few months ago and my son and I are gonna strap it to a plane this morning for the first time.
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:58 AM
Is it Friday yet?
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2008
686 Posts
My three boys don't care anything for it. My dad taught me to fly when I was a kid.
DropTank is offline Find More Posts by DropTank
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:57 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
How the heck do you afford this hobby with that many kids running around?
+1
wan'na know the answer too
Sam
samwei1950 is online now Find More Posts by samwei1950
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:05 AM
United States, MD, Eldersburg
Joined Nov 2012
37 Posts
My boys 5 & 7 enjoy driving R/C cars with me. I have not given them the chance to try planes yet, just got my Champ for my birthday in April but the love crafts and hobbies and I look forward to teaching my 7 year old to fly soon.
aarond76 is offline Find More Posts by aarond76
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:08 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,599 Posts
My son wouldn't fly if I paid him! He has not a drop of RC pilot's blood in him in spite of my obsession. And I specifically ordered a son interested in RC too! Manufacturer says he's out of warranty.....
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:37 PM
in the beginning...
United States, MO, De Soto
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
My 8 yr old boy loves it, planes and cars. Right now I'm working on a scratchbuild yak. So he figured he needs to build one along side. Its pretty darn close for hand drawing it. I think we are going to make it rubber band powered.
bm2thirsty is offline Find More Posts by bm2thirsty
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My staple plane the UM P-51
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:25 PM
United States, WY, Casper
Joined Nov 2012
20 Posts
I started flying myself just over a month ago. My ten year old daughter has asked repeatedly when does she get to fly my plane. I have been telling her that I have to learn to fly it myself first. Yesterday I put her on the buddy box. She started off great. But then couldn't keep altitude. She lasted about a total of two minutes before giving up. I encouraged her, told she did great for the first and that it takes practice to learn to fly. We both have a long way to go. I hope she hangs in there and I get to see her tearing around the sky.
xv1100mc is offline Find More Posts by xv1100mc