HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:46 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
1,924 Posts
Discussion
Please Help me find this boat???

I was given a partially finished Sailboat, I have made some wood boat kits before and thought this one was put together nicely and it had some expensive metal gear, programmable digital servos installed.
This boat was rescued from the garbage, and my friend found a Moto Tool also (which he kept).
I would love to finish this boat, and I figured it would not be hard to find, get some plans and make the parts I need, or get parts from the makers....

Well I cannot find it, so I need the help of fellow RCgroupers to finish and sail this very nicely done Sailboat which to me looks like a Sloop....
It is approx. 17" in length (16-7/8") it has oval portholes, Which must get glass I guess.
and what to me seems like a hole for the main Mast and at the back a hole for (I guess) a smaller mast..

Someone out there has seen this boat, has this boat, or has built it...
Thanks in advance for any help...
Machy2k is offline Find More Posts by Machy2k
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:37 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,369 Posts
Very neat, but I don't recognize it. Maybe a one off... at ~17" the only advice I can add is go very light on anything you add to it.
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:46 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,177 Posts
Nice looking boat.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:13 AM
Canada, BC
Joined Jul 2011
408 Posts
Don't recognize it.

From the look of the fittings on the deck, it is a yawl (two masts and the aft mast is relatively short).

The front servo should work the sails, but the arm should be replaced with a longer one that 'just' fits across the beam. The one servo should pull all three sails, (jib, main, mizzen).

John
hiljoball is online now Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:36 AM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball View Post
Don't recognize it.

From the look of the fittings on the deck, it is a yawl (two masts and the aft mast is relatively short).

The front servo should work the sails, but the arm should be replaced with a longer one that 'just' fits across the beam. The one servo should pull all three sails, (jib, main, mizzen).

John
Hi John, Aero, and Millertime; Thanks for the reply's already, so John a Yawl you say, wow sounds cool, so two masts and 3 sails great now I have something else to go by.
I am into a lot of things, sailing never hit me but I like the intricacy, am I right about the style of boat, is this a Sloop?...
Petey...

Ps: I just read some more info on these types of boats on Wikipedia, now I am in another world very cool...
Last edited by Machy2k; Nov 12, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
No, if it has more than one mast it's not a sloop. The shape or style of the hull has nothing to do with it being a sloop, it's the number of masts and how it's rigged.

Sloop: A single-masted, fore-and-aft-rigged sailing boat with a short standing bowsprit or none at all and a single headsail set from the forestay.
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:13 AM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker Ace View Post
No, if it has more than one mast it's not a sloop. The shape or style of the hull has nothing to do with it being a sloop, it's the number of masts and how it's rigged.

Sloop: A single-masted, fore-and-aft-rigged sailing boat with a short standing bowsprit or none at all and a single headsail set from the forestay.
Ok Got it, wow now I have to get info. on these terms.. very cool.
Thanks...
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:09 AM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
1,924 Posts
Still searching

So I have found out so much from the replies I received so far..
If I cannot find this particular boat, is there somewhere or someone who can advise me on the size of the masts relative to the boat, and the sails (bought or made) and rigging and servo setup?
Lol I need lots of help don't I...
I have an Illustration taken from the how to identify sailboat types website which (to me) looks like a good example of what I have...
Petey...
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:33 AM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
1,924 Posts
Is there somewhere on this thread or on the web I can find out more about r/c sailboat setup especially how to figure sail size, and sail servo rigging???
Lol Any help is appreciated...
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:36 AM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
1,924 Posts
Is there any info. in this forum or on the web where I can find how to figure the sail and mast size for this boat and how to rig the servo?
Thanks...
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:45 AM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
869 Posts
Petey
one thing, how much does this weigh ? there IS weight down in the keel area of
it I presume ? that will help determine how much sail this can carry. one thing to
consider might be to use a couple of small diameter arrow shafts to rig the 2
masts. wood dowells would work for the 3 booms.
in this badly painted image of your hull, you will see a black mark -that's where
the jib boom swivel will need to go.the three red marks is where the 3 sheets will
exit the deck and attach to the jib boom,main boom and mizzen boom.
the blue marks is where the mizzen mast will go and the 4 attachment points for
it's stays.the purple marks are the same,but for the main mast. the white mark
shows how a longer "sail arm" is needed on that servo to control the sails.
you could probably do all the line rigging on this with some 45 or 50 pound dacron fishing line- wire would be better for the rigging stays-but a hull this small and not racing---line could work.
oh-is there a hatch for the little area aft where the rudder is ?
I don't see screws in the servo's ? are they fixed in place ? or can the forward
one be moved aft some -more towards the middle of that space ?

here's a question for the guys here- what about NOT having the mizzen move
with the servo ? just fix it for going upwind, and only control a jib and main ???
Allan
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:28 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
358 Posts
@thorsail:

Good interpretation, I agree. And yes your drawing is quite adequate.

One question: wondering what the (unmarked) eyelet just forward of the mizzen fairlead may be.... perhaps a guide for the mizzen sheet around the mizzen mast, assuming that all sheeting is done above decks...

Re winch arm length - I would estimate that you need about 90-100mm sheet travel. This estimate is based on jib pivot to jib fairlead distance and I am assuming the need to sheet the booms out to 90 degrees. This could be done with an arm winch if you have a 40mm arm moving through about 90 degrees that will provide about 55mm travel - using a double purchase will give you plenty of travel (110 mm). If you could squeeze an 80 mm arm in then you would not need the doubler.

(Edit - assuming the mizzen boom is also sheeted, this does not need as much sheet travle due to shorter boom length)

Hope this helps...
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:34 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
1,924 Posts
Wow very cool guys; I can't thank you guys enough, Thorsail and Mrpenguin the Illustration and the explanation is great,, I have to take it in ha ha, the first thing is the servos are not screwed in yet.

The builder stopped the build of my boat just as you see it in the pic. I took.

So I will get the info. I have just been given, sorted out.

Things like the weight, hull width at the widest point.

Thorsail: when you say the sheets will exit the deck does that mean the sails come from below the deck?

Also by hatch for the rudder area, do you mean a cover?

(I do not have a cover for it) that is why I would love to identify the model and get pics, plans, parts, but... custom is good also, plus glass for the portholes...
Thanks guys and cool, I will post more info when I geta better understanding of this new info....
Petey...
Last edited by Machy2k; Nov 16, 2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:23 AM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machy2k View Post
... : when you say the sheets will exit the deck does that mean the sails come from below the deck?
On a yacht a "sheet" is the line that controls the sails - the cord/string that runs from the winch to the boom...
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:25 AM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
869 Posts
http://www.theamya.org/clubs/#FL

OK, use above addy and find a local club that can give you some hands on help.

in this incredibly accurate professional diagram, you will see a possible new
location for the "sail arm winch" and the white bit is a double sail arm.
the black line is the jib boom-the red line is it's "jib sheet"-led thru the hole on deck,
into the compartment,thru one end of the sail arm,and ties off on the forward
bulkhead.the teal line is the main boom,the blue line is it's sheet line, from the boom
thru the deck,into,thru the sail arm and ties off aft.the orange line is the mizzen
boom,green line it's sheet line, from the boom, down,thru - I think maybe you
could use something called a "bowsie" on the main sheet line-tie off the mizzen
to it and have an adjustment there for the mizzen.

those portholes ?next time you buy something in plastic blister pack, save the
plastic and CA little squares of plastic on the inside of the cabin over the holes.
instant windows.
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail