HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Mar 2012
143 Posts
Discussion
micro USB + LIPO powering APM 2.0 and calibration the radio!

Hi!

I have the APM2.0 plugged trhough usb. Mission Planner shows everything alright. Then I plug RC inputs but nothing happen. Apparently , micro USB only powers up the board, not the servos, so I proceed to plug my ESC on output channel 3 ( it is the one that comes with bixler, so it gives 5V power supply ). However when I do this, the ESC starts beeping very fast and really seems that something is going to explode or something! Kind of scary!. Moreover, nothing happens, I can't see any way to calibrate the radio on mission planner.

Can anyone please tell me the correct way to do the calibration? Am i doing something wrong? Am I going to burn something pluggin both micro USB and LIPO trhough ESC on channel 3 output?

How do you guys get to the point of calibration the radio? Are you doing the same as me?

Well, after what happened I think I might need to rebind tx/rx and try again. Please tell me what you think!

Thanks!
asaak is offline Find More Posts by asaak
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 01:26 PM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaak View Post
Hi!

I have the APM2.0 plugged trhough usb. Mission Planner shows everything alright. Then I plug RC inputs but nothing happen. Apparently , micro USB only powers up the board, not the servos, so I proceed to plug my ESC on output channel 3 ( it is the one that comes with bixler, so it gives 5V power supply ). However when I do this, the ESC starts beeping very fast and really seems that something is going to explode or something! Kind of scary!. Moreover, nothing happens, I can't see any way to calibrate the radio on mission planner.

Can anyone please tell me the correct way to do the calibration? Am i doing something wrong? Am I going to burn something pluggin both micro USB and LIPO trhough ESC on channel 3 output?

How do you guys get to the point of calibration the radio? Are you doing the same as me?

Well, after what happened I think I might need to rebind tx/rx and try again. Please tell me what you think!

Thanks!
NEVER, I mean NEVER calibrate your TX with the throttle connected!!!

You need to be using a UBEC or BEC and NOT your ESC/BEC anyway. The BEC that comes on your ESC will not be able to support your APM with all it's bits and your servos too. It is a recipe for disaster for more than one reason!

Bite the bullet and get a stand alone BEC.

Good luck,

Rob
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Old May 07, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Mar 2012
143 Posts
Ok so..I need a separate BEC...but..still..how do I plug the power source to the APM 2.0 ? and moreover, if I have to buy a separate BEC..then my ESC doesn't work for me anymore right? I can't connect the BEC to the APM and the ESC/BEC as well..because it would be to power source's connected together right?

Please...can you or someone explain it a little more, because I am a bit lost in this part!

Thanks!
asaak is offline Find More Posts by asaak
Old May 07, 2012, 05:29 PM
Resistance is Futile
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaak View Post
Ok so..I need a separate BEC...but..still..how do I plug the power source to the APM 2.0 ? and moreover, if I have to buy a separate BEC..then my ESC doesn't work for me anymore right? I can't connect the BEC to the APM and the ESC/BEC as well..because it would be to power source's connected together right?

Please...can you or someone explain it a little more, because I am a bit lost in this part!

Thanks!
OK, first, get a BEC. Then disable the BEC power from your ESC by clipping or removing the pin for the center (red) conductor of your ESC throttle connector and using some heat shrink or insulated tape to secure the bare end of the connector and cover it to prevent it's shorting onto anything else.

Then hook up your system as normal but DO NOT plug your ESC into to output of the APM, yet.

You can plug your BEC into the RX and it will power your APM through the jumper wires going from the servo outputs on your receiver to the servo inputs on your APM.

Once you get it all fired up do your calibration. Done.

Good Luck,

Rob
Old May 10, 2012, 10:22 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Mar 2008
372 Posts
My APM2 powered my RX through the USB I did 99% of the setup without a lipo (for my own safety). I would not bother trying to calibrate your ESC's with the board just do it directly, that was easier for me. I was able to calibrate the radio inputs without even having the ESC's powered.
charlienofun is offline Find More Posts by charlienofun
Old May 10, 2012, 07:58 PM
Resistance is Futile
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlienofun View Post
My APM2 powered my RX through the USB I did 99% of the setup without a lipo (for my own safety). I would not bother trying to calibrate your ESC's with the board just do it directly, that was easier for me. I was able to calibrate the radio inputs without even having the ESC's powered.
My APM will power my RX too from the USB and I am using only one connection with PPM sum.

I just wanted him to NOT use the 5v bec on the box stock Bixler ESC. It is a disaster looking to happen because with full blown load of RX receiver, servos, GPS, RF modem, etc. it was a crash and burn setup.

Rob