HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2010, 01:53 PM
San Bernardino California U.S.A.
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Yippee!
Cleveland Playboy Senior, 70 inch class C gas

I just got my vintage (yellowed paper & all) Cleveland plans,70 inch class C gas model Playboy Senior in the mail, & now Im wondering, how to plot all those ribs, no rib patterns inc. Did the plan have the patterns on another page?

Im going to see if my fellow San Bernardinian, Mr. Bob Holman can help, he has several versions of the Playboy in short kit, Ive built his 46.5 inch kit.....
.....who knows, he might be able to laser cut me the ribs.......

Im hoping this becomes a build log soon.

Laramie
Laramie is offline Find More Posts by Laramie
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2010, 04:19 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Love will find a way.....

Now that Ive studied the plan a bit, I see why there are no rib patterns........ this is a kit plan, and I dont have the print wood!

Mr Holman, www.bhplans.com , says that this is a post 1942 model, not SAM legal, and that he cant cut parts for it, its not on CAD ......

Boy, plotting all those ribs..... ...... aint life grand?

Still,I could do it, itll be hard, love will find a way

I know theres laser cut kits & CAD plans out there, but wheres the sport in that!

Still happy to have these old dinosaur bone plans..... who knows, mabe the next time I cruise ebay, someone will be selling an old Cleveland Playboy kit W/O plans

Laramie
Old Mar 13, 2010, 09:03 AM
more balsa please!
Princeton, In
Joined Jul 2007
762 Posts
Sure hope you get a chance to build the Playboy. One of the most beautiful planes in my opinion. I have a 78" rc assist kit from Bob Holman. I'm in Afghanistan, but hoping to be able to build it maybe when I get back. Good luck and I'll keep watching for a build log, just in case.

Darvin
dcloin is offline Find More Posts by dcloin
Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:27 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Cleveland Playboy........

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcloin View Post
Sure hope you get a chance to build the Playboy. One of the most beautiful planes in my opinion. I have a 78" rc assist kit from Bob Holman. I'm in Afghanistan, but hoping to be able to build it maybe when I get back. Good luck and I'll keep watching for a build log, just in case.

Darvin
Darvin, I hope youre safe over there......Afghanistan ......

Ive already built Bob Holman s 46.5 inch Playboy, speed 400 power & R/C recycled from a RTF Corsair, have yet to fly it. I wish Id had the Cleveland plans first, as the smaller versions fussalage cross section is square, the Senior has 4 more longerons, the next time I build one Im hoping to go retro all the way with an ignition engine, If I can get one on ebay or somewhere

Laramie.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:07 AM
more balsa please!
Princeton, In
Joined Jul 2007
762 Posts
I love all the old-time planes, but am sure that my build will be far from stock. I'd prefere stock looks with modern performance.

Darvin
dcloin is offline Find More Posts by dcloin
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:13 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Far from stock......

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcloin View Post
I love all the old-time planes, but am sure that my build will be far from stock. I'd prefere stock looks with modern performance.

Darvin
I know what you mean, Just for starters, the short moument on the front, while it gives great leverage for the stall recovery, its a nightmare to balance.
one must realize, these planes were designed with ignition engines in mind, & they carried a coil & 2 D cell batteries around in the front......

My little E-Powered R/C (3Ch), has a Speed 400 & 7 AA Nih 2500 Mha batteries, I streached the front out & still will need lead for a good C.G. location......

It shure looks good with the sun shinning through the transparent covered wings, I hope to post photos soon, flying with the snow clad San Bernardino mountins in the background.......

To those of you who may compeat in SAM vintage events, check if your build was designed before 1942, my Playboy Plans are from a Cleveland Kit, 1944, so it wouldnt qualify..... My Playboy 46.5 inch WS I got from ... www.bhplans.com ....does qualify, however .

Ive been thinking about what to do with the 4th available chanal on my radio, & it came to me, why not a DT? If my plane ever catches that booming thermal (& it could, here in So. California!), I might be able to grt it back that way......

......just some thoughts, Laramie.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:52 PM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,536 Posts
Laramie, I was giving some thought to using R/C assist on a Thermix (rudder only to keep it within field bounds) and also using a second channel on the radio to deploy a DT if required. Wouldn't have to use a timer or light a fuse that way; interesting to see you are thinking along those same lines with the Playboy Senior.
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:53 AM
Be Happy, Lower Your Standards
Mosier, Oregon
Joined Oct 2004
181 Posts
Playboy ribs

Here are the wing and stab rib patterns for SAM legal Playboy.

Arthur
kineticartist is offline Find More Posts by kineticartist
Old Mar 15, 2010, 01:28 PM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,536 Posts
Arthur, thanks for those ribs! ....ribs...makes me want to get out the BBQ..;^)

Just to be sure, which wingspan are these particular Playboy ribs for? And can you post any of the other "parts" like you did the ribs for us scratchbuilders?

Joe
Old Mar 16, 2010, 01:44 PM
Mosier, Oregon
Joined Oct 2004
181 Posts
Playboy parts

Hi, I can scan the tips for you if you like, but if you are an experienced scratch builder and have the plan already, then the tips are pretty easy to work out.

The plan I have has a 58" wingspan. If you want a 72" span then you need to enlarge what I sent 125%. You can do this on your home printer or at Kinkos or Staples. A 72" wingspan is 25% of what I have.

I'm thinking of going the other way for a speed 400 version of the Playboy, to 350 square inches which would be 78% of what I have now for a 45" wingspan.

The Playboy is such an amazing flyer it is hard to resist making iterations of it for various categories.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 01:52 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
R/C Assist.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjoe View Post
Laramie, I was giving some thought to using R/C assist on a Thermix (rudder only to keep it within field bounds) and also using a second channel on the radio to deploy a DT if required. Wouldn't have to use a timer or light a fuse that way; interesting to see you are thinking along those same lines with the Playboy Senior.
Piper, I have a Baby Playboy from Bob Holman, 46.5 WS, and at presant, I have 3Ch. on it< & was thinking the same as you, the 4th Ch. could be for the DT........

.......The Playboy Seneor, well its not SAM legal, I havent decided what to do yet, I think Ill go out to the Paris (Riverside Co., CA.) FF field & see whats up, I have on the Bucket List, a very large ignition eng. FF, I also have plans for a Vagabond, 78 WS, Ithink, class C cabin gas, the plans show a Olhson Rice .61 ign. eng., 2 D cell bats. coil, etc.

I havent got the engine yet, I do have C/L engines, an thinking Ringmaster,
as I have 0.49, .19, .35, .40 CID......oh yeah, & .9......

Laramie

Arthur, Thanks so vary much for the files, now I have a choise, as Gluehand also sent me patterns, all the way from Scandanavia!

Thanks, all, Laramie
Old Mar 16, 2010, 06:52 PM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,536 Posts
Arthur, thanks for the get back. I don't have a Playboy plan right now but have lots of drafting experience with model airplanes; thought about finding a scan plan and "rolling my own" to fit those ribs. Perhaps I'd better just purchase a plan....

Soft landings,

Joe
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:31 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Piperjoe,

The short kit from Bob Holman not only comes with CAD plans, the wood is of exelent quality, when the man says he pays extra for light wood, I believe he does, when I try to find light wood at the LHS, Im usually disapointed.....

.....the WS is 46.5, very close to what Arthur suggested, the lazer cutting is exelent, & should you wish to compeat, I think SAM has a class for speed 400, Bob Holman is very informed about things SAM, anyway, I highly recomend him to anyone interested in vintage FF,

Laramie
Old Mar 17, 2010, 08:59 AM
Mosier, Oregon
Joined Oct 2004
181 Posts
I Second Laramie's comments with an addition. Bob Holman works with Jim O'Reilly on plans for the short kits: http://jimoreillymodelplans.com/prodserve.htm. Between the two you have a perfect storm of SAM legal and NFFS approved models that build well and are easy to read.

With one set of plans you can scale them up or down at a store like Kinkos or Staples and get any size you want.

Now if we could only get these guys to send pdf files instead of the plan it would be cheaper and easier all around.

Arthur
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:17 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
I see what you mean.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kineticartist View Post
I Second Laramie's comments with an addition. Bob Holman works with Jim O'Reilly on plans for the short kits: http://jimoreillymodelplans.com/prodserve.htm. Between the two you have a perfect storm of SAM legal and NFFS approved models that build well and are easy to read.

With one set of plans you can scale them up or down at a store like Kinkos or Staples and get any size you want.

Now if we could only get these guys to send pdf files instead of the plan it would be cheaper and easier all around.

Arthur

......about those pdf files, I just opened the 2 you sent me, too bad I dont have a printer, as it is, Ill have to leave the house , but you did make my life much simpler, thank you again, Laramie (post #8)